What's new

Mfr. cooling clearance recommendations (1 Viewer)

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
The projector I am looking at (Sanyo PLV-70) has a recommended clearance of 3' behind the unit to allow for proper cooling. The unit will be placed in 14x11 room with 10' ceilings. How strictly should one adhere to the "recommended" clearances? Does anyone have the PLV-70 and can you offer any advice here?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hi Thomas, I have been following your threads and I cannot really offer you advise on this as far as having less space behind the projector than Sanyo's recommended minimum but I will be following this thread closely. I will make some phone calls to the dealers as well as a reputable home theatre store that has one on display to see if I can get you some practical information. Just for the record, you were looking to place 11.8 ft from the front which would give you roughly >1ft of breathing space behind the unit, correct?

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
Neil...thanks very much for any help you can give me on this...actually now I have resigned myself that 1 foot is probably pushing it so I've reluctantly decided to go to an 82" (16:9) diagonal screen instead of the desired 92". According to the calculators I have seen, this will allow me a 2 foot rear clearance (10.5 ft from lens to screen + 17" for the unit itself + 2feet). I am hoping that should be adequate despite the mfr. recommending 3 feet but still not certain. Again, I appreciate any guidance you can provide..

Taylor Selden

Auditioning
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. I'm probably going to get the PLV-70 and I'd like to place it as far back as possible so that I can get the largest screen size avaliable. If I could get away with just 10 inches of rear clearance, I could get a 120 inch diagonal 16x9 screen. Otherwise, I'd probably just comprimise on a 100 incher.
There's something about that magic number -- 10 foot screen -- that I just need.
My room is 17 ft 8 in and according to the calculator on projector central, one needs 15.4 ft of room at the minimum in order to have a 120 in screen with the PLV-70.
I know this projector can fill a 10 ft screen, I'm just going to be very upset if my room can't. :frowning:
-- Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread