What's new

METV+ (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My METV disappeared all together! About a month ago, it was just gone. I only have Spectrum Cable and it did air but now I don't know where it went or why. No one seems to know. I love the older shows as compared to the newer shows. Very strange. I imagine the cable company wanted the channel to show something else. The older comedy's back then were really funny. I do not watch ANY of the comedy's now on TV. I would get an OTA antenna but I live in a rental apartment and landlord's don't want anything attached to the roof, etc. The nearest city to me is over 50 miles away. So, I suppose I am out of luck.
METV is carried mostly by local stations that are affiliated with it, like NBC, as opposed to being a cable channel like say CNN.
If the station that broadcast METV in your area ended it's affiliation with METV that could be the reason you no longer have it.

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Amos Burke Secret Agent is a spin-off of Burke's Law. MeTV+ runs a series of Burke's Law episodes, then runs some Secret Agent episodes. They both star Gene Berry.
I do have, I think, three volumes of Burke's Law and that intro announcement by that lady is hilarious. Anyway, I did catch a glimpse of that in the last twenty-four hours, just a glimpse, and what very little I saw reminded me of that show right away, especially since it's Gene in there.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
My METV disappeared all together! About a month ago, it was just gone. I only have Spectrum Cable and it did air but now I don't know where it went or why. No one seems to know. I love the older shows as compared to the newer shows. Very strange. I imagine the cable company wanted the channel to show something else. The older comedy's back then were really funny. I do not watch ANY of the comedy's now on TV. I would get an OTA antenna but I live in a rental apartment and landlord's don't want anything attached to the roof, etc. The nearest city to me is over 50 miles away. So, I suppose I am out of luck.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like if anyone needs to do all his entertainment on discs, it's YOU. That just shows once again the fickle nature of cable, but, of course, all programs get dropped sooner or later, but usually just picked right back up somewhere else. That SVU cop program was on the ION network for the longest, and while I don't pay much attention to it, I saw one that was really riveting this week, and that wasn't on ION. Lol, we have three different OTA stations carrying Monk at different times.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks, but I live in a little town in West Tennessee! I only have Spectrum Cable for my TV's. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome Jennifer. I would suggest two things. Go to Where to watch - MeTV and insert your zip code. This is of course for MeTV and not MeTV + but if MeTV is available at your location MeTV + cannot be far behind. You could also contact MeTV's primary affiliate in Chicago @ 312-705-2600. Also Spectrum Cable is usually on top of adding brand new channels so you might give them a call as well. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
By the way I'm pleased to report that the MeTV+ feed which WZME is currently broadcasting is far superior to the soft image MeTV feed they previously broadcast a few years back prior to WJLP taking over in this area. In addition it is in standard definition which I prefer as it doesn't use up valuable DVR capacity AND so far everything is in it's original 4:3 aspect ration rather that the miserable up-conversion on WJLP. In fact with a few exceptions, most of the other diginets in this area owned by Weigel Broadcasting also up-convert everything.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
By the way I'm pleased to report that the MeTV+ feed which WZME is currently broadcasting is far superior to the soft image MeTV feed they previously broadcast a few years back prior to WJLP taking over in this area. In addition it is in standard definition which I prefer as it doesn't use up valuable DVR capacity AND so far everything is in it's original 4:3 aspect ration rather that the miserable up-conversion on WJLP. In fact with a few exceptions, most of the other diginets in this area owned by Weigel Broadcasting also up-convert everything.
I must correct myself. MeTV+ is in HD on WZME and most likely everywhere else it is being broadcast. Sorry for any confusion.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I must correct myself. MeTV+ is in HD on WZME and most likely everywhere else it is being broadcast. Sorry for any confusion.
Nope. METV+ most definitely isn't in HD in my area, but it only started up as I mentioned at the head of the thread (very recent), so it may be the last to get it.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Interesting. I'll trade you my HD feed for your SD feed!
It's truly disgusting: bloody 480i. Since you got on the subject, obviously you don't like their HD (naturally, I haven't seen the plus HD), I'll give you a small report here on just what I've noticed, which I have seen some people don't like anyway, from the parent channel.

On ANYTHING normal hours, the HD is perfect, and there is absolutely no speedups. But if you tune in past midnight at times, you will definitely see speedups, even for some SD programs.

What do you find unsatisfactory about plus's HD? Is it the same as regular METV over there? Sometimes I think those affiliates are putting out vastly different HD, because if anybody saw regular hours HD over here, you would have to be a nut not to like it. And for those just having to see the original blurriness, there's always dvd for most programs. Well, actually, most dvds have better resolution than that 480i or 480p garbage you see on screen, so a bit of inauthenticity even so.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
It's truly disgusting: bloody 480i. Since you got on the subject, obviously you don't like their HD (naturally, I haven't seen the plus HD), I'll give you a small report here on just what I've noticed, which I have seen some people don't like anyway, from the parent channel.

On ANYTHING normal hours, the HD is perfect, and there is absolutely no speedups. But if you tune in past midnight at times, you will definitely see speedups, even for some SD programs.

What do you find unsatisfactory about plus's HD? Is it the same as regular METV over there? Sometimes I think those affiliates are putting out vastly different HD, because if anybody saw regular hours HD over here, you would have to be a nut not to like it. And for those just having to see the original blurriness, there's always dvd for most programs. Well, actually, most dvds have better resolution than that 480i or 480p garbage you see on screen, so a bit of inauthenticity even so.
Well it's only been 6 days but here's my likes and dislikes.

1. I like MeTV+ because (so far) I'm not seeing any up-conversions or zoom and stretch of the image on the very same shows where I've seen this done on MeTV. In other words a 4:3 aspect ratio, not the artificial 16:9. Here in NY-NJ both are in HD. WJLP carries MeTV.

2. I'm not convinced either needs to be in HD. For example on Dish I see standard definition channels like FETV and INSP and neither ever does the up-conversion and you'd be hard pressed to see the difference that HD would normally provide. On FETV Leave It To Beaver and The Beverly Hillbillies look equally as good to me, even better than they do on the HD MeTV feed here. On INSP Gunsmoke and Wagon Train definitely look better in standard definition than they do on the phony 16:9 stretch on MeTV particularly on Wagon Train.

I really don't watch enough of either to notice the speedups. Lately I've spent much of my time downloading some really great stuff off YouTube and watching my enormous DVD collection. I have little tolerance for edited programming.

I could get into greater detail about what I'm seeing but I don't want to bore everybody.

In regards to the MeTV+ schedule. Well, somebody over there really likes Hawaii Five-O. I mean 3 episodes back to back to back at 8pm 9pm and 10pm primetime every night Monday thru Friday! Really? On the other hand I love the early morning schedule with the Toon In with Me and Comedy Classics The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy The Little Rascals. Also the weekend schedules with just Westerns in Primetime is a very bold move, truly retro. I applaud that!

On a completely different topic I love these MeTV Mashups!

Coochie Coo baby!

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Well it's only been 6 days but here's my likes and dislikes.

1. I like MeTV+ because (so far) I'm not seeing any up-conversions or zoom and stretch of the image on the very same shows where I've seen this done on MeTV. In other words a 4:3 aspect ratio, not the artificial 16:9. Here in NY-NJ both are in HD. WJLP carries MeTV.

2. I'm not convinced either needs to be in HD. For example on Dish I see standard definition channels like FETV and INSP and neither ever does the up-conversion and you'd be hard pressed to see the difference that HD would normally provide. On FETV Leave It To Beaver and The Beverly Hillbillies look equally as good to me, even better than they do on the HD MeTV feed here. On INSP Gunsmoke and Wagon Train definitely look better in standard definition than they do on the phony 16:9 stretch on MeTV particularly on Wagon Train.

I really don't watch enough of either to notice the speedups. Lately I've spent much of my time downloading some really great stuff off YouTube and watching my enormous DVD collection. I have little tolerance for edited programming.

I could get into greater detail about what I'm seeing but I don't want to bore everybody.

In regards to the MeTV+ schedule. Well, somebody over there really likes Hawaii Five-O. I mean 3 episodes back to back to back at 8pm 9pm and 10pm primetime every night Monday thru Friday! Really? On the other hand I love the early morning schedule with the Toon In with Me and Comedy Classics The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy The Little Rascals. Also the weekend schedules with just Westerns in Primetime is a very bold move, truly retro. I applaud that!

On a completely different topic I love these MeTV Mashups!

Coochie Coo baby!

Yes, METV certainly does a great job with their own commercials. And yes, I noticed exactly what you said about plus and Hawaii 5-O and those interesting things they do with those other programs. I hadn't noticed Toon in With Me on plus, but on regular METV, I sort of don't like it. It's just as HD as Hogan's Heroes, for example, and somehow while I love HD in any form as long as it looks better, I just don't really like a clearer picture on old cartoons, but if I am curious and up that early, and don't recall the short, that's another matter.

Incidentally, I don't think our HD METV over here has either Beaver or Hillbillies in HD at all. I have seen some b/w on blu-ray, and have yet to be impressed with it at all. I've gone through I think all their programs to check. I think BD loses an awful lot when it don't have colors to rejuvenate. I have the Lost in Space BD set, and the first season b/w is fine, but it just looks like very good SD to me, compared to the color seasons where it more jumps out. So really, I fairly much can't tell the difference between b/w HD and b/w SD, and that strikes me as so weird, because I can make the difference usually between 480p, 720p, and 1080p right away in color. I can just see the blur factor that clearly. Now truly, there is some 720p which is just as good as 1080, but it really has to be using superior cameras, etc. Some 1080 looks worse than 480. Part of that is just people, such as on youtube, claiming something is 1080p, when it's not even close, just to get more people to click.

Good summation by you.

From what I can recall off the top of my head, here are the HD programs of interest to me (and some not) on METV: Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, Gilligan's Island S2-S3, Mannix, MASH, Hogan's Heroes, Toon in With Me, Waltons, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train - at least one episode I caught, which may be the best HD I've seen in b/w, Happy Days - very much of the first five seasons, then SD afterwards, Svengoolie, Star Trek TOS, Gomer Pyle, and I'm not sure if I saw Voyage in HD or not. I think Time Tunnel and Invaders are both SD. Sex Boat is in HD (Love Boat) and I may have missed one or two.

I'm waiting for the next time they shuffle their programs, wondering what they will throw into HD next.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
The 1960's: That Star Trek/Griffith one is brilliant! I've seen it only once, so nice to see it here again. The only thing that might had made it better, if they threw in some shots from Return of the Archons, maybe when they were having their festival😅. Man, I would love to make some shorts like that.

I think the TZ/Perry one when Sterling said "picture a scared angry little man" it might had been better served to show Hamilton Burger instead. You know, it seems they used Burger on one of their commercials too.

While playing the Perry/TZ commercial I spied this suggestion to play, because this image caught my eye: It's on this video of a favorite jazz score from an interesting TZ episode. I'm not sure what that number has to do with that episode, but it's significant to my avatar:
2021-11-03 22-17-30.mp4_20211103_221807.748.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In regards to the MeTV+ schedule. Well, somebody over there really likes Hawaii Five-O. I mean 3 episodes back to back to back at 8pm 9pm and 10pm primetime every night Monday thru Friday!

True-- however, at least it's only 3 a night, and not around the clock like USA has done lately w/Law & Order, Burn Notice, et al.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Remember too, the in addition to competing with all of the many channels out there, the new MeTV+ is also competing against MeTV. So it makes sense that in prime time, when MeTV is all comedy, MeTV+ would pull out a highly rated drama.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Remember too, the in addition to competing with all of the many channels out there, the new MeTV+ is also competing against MeTV. So it makes sense that in prime time, when MeTV is all comedy, MeTV+ would pull out a highly rated drama.
That’s one of the reasons I hope it comes to my area soon. What MeTV shows in the middle of the night is of more interest to me than some of their afternoon programming.

But 3 hours of something seems excessive. I like Hawaii Five 0 but the impact would certainly be diluted.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Woah, that is spooky use of 22. I do remember now when I saw the episode, that it caught my attention. But that photo I got off that youtube video, was almost entirely dedicated, or so it seemed, to the gambling machine episode with that hip jazz score. Just love that music, as it taunts the old guy every bit as much as the machine itself (though he doesn't hear the music of course). Another slightly interesting thing, is that the first clip is 1:22, or another 22. The second clip is another 22, only at the front end of minutes and seconds instead. I'm curious if that flight wasn't flight 22 as well, if they bothered to tell you the flight number. Also, the episode was S2E17, and they should has waited till S2E22.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herman_tj
Recent bookmarks