What's new

Metropolis on Blu Ray in 2010 (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sorry if this has already been discussed, and maybe no one knows for sure yet, but:

Is there a rundown showing what the differences are between the US and the two UK releases? (One is a steelbook.) They get a nice 56-page book, which I don't see listed for the US package (this is starting to sound depressingly familiar). Also, I was looking at the descriptions on Amazon UK and I'm confused as to number of discs, etc. -- and of course we'll want to know what's region-free and what isn't.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
The DVDBeaver page shows exactly what the differences are between the two. The picture and sound seem more or less the same, but the bonus materials seem to be better on the Masters of Cinema version. But, unfortunately for the people in the US, it's region locked to region B, as per Kino's wishes (who then released their version region free).

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
But, unfortunately for the people in the US, it's region locked to region B, as per Kino's wishes (who then released their version region free).

Well, unfortunately for Kino, I think I'm going to have to pass, and spring for a quality region-free BD player sooner rather than later because I don't care to live with the significant disparities between their release and the Masters of Cinema. Looks like MoC is even giving Criterion a run for their money, at least as far as "M" is concerned. Lots of desirable material on that one. I'm kind of afraid to look any further...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Meh.........While the book would be nice to have I won't be loosing any sleep over this.

I don't get the obsession with steelbook packaging, I've no use for German language titlecards and I never have time to listen to commentaries anymore. I can especially do without Rosenblaum blathering in my ear for 2 hours straight.

I'm fine with the Kino disc if it ever gets here.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Meh.........While the book would be nice to have I won't be loosing any sleep over this.

I don't get the obsession with steelbook packaging, I've no use for German language titlecards and I never have time to listen to commentaries anymore. I can especially do without Rosenblaum blathering in my ear for 2 hours straight.

I'm fine with the Kino disc if it ever gets here.

The UK version is also available in a regular Blu-ray case, that has a slipcover. While the extras might not do anything for you, I would think that the original title cards would be of some importance. It's very odd that those aren't even included in the Kino version.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Some steelbooks are nice, others "eh". In this case, I'd get the regular BD packaging because I don't need the (PAL) DVDs that for some reason come only with the steelbook, and it'll save a couple of bucks as well.

But I'm definitely an "extras" man, when they're worthwhile. Of course everyone's mileage will vary on that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just wanted to say that my pre-ordered Kino version just shipped to me from Amazon.ca. there was talk of a delay into December, but I'm guessing they got it sorted?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's in stock at Amazon U.S. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I haven't received a review copy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was there really a delay?

I've had my copy (bought locally) from J&R since last Friday -- they actually had it since last Tues (11/16) and currently has it priced at $23.99, which seems to be the best price around (sans coupons).

_Man_

SteveGL

Auditioning
I usually buy from J&R but I found a copy for $25 at a DVD/Blu Ray discount outlet on West 14th on Nov. 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks