What's new

Metroid Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
8/24/09 You can get Prime, Prime 2 and Prime 3 for $50 for the Wii. They have updated Prime and 2 so that you can use the wiimote and nunchuck, they also optimized them to 16X9 tvs.

I've only played Prime, and that was years ago in college, but was one of the best games i had played at that time. Was 2 and 3 just as good?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I enjoyed Prime and Prime 2. Never got around to 3 because my daughter was born earlier that year. Just haven't had the time, but I do hope to play it some day.

The Metroid games in total are still my all-time favorite series of games, going back to the original on NES.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I'd say Prime 3 is definitely worth it. Get a comfy place to sit, but make sure you're upright with good freedom of movement, because it's an arm-swinging, aim and shoot game. It's challenging, addictive, and beautiful. Loved it.
I'd like to know how silly I looked when I was playing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This was a very good trilogy, and you can argue that each successive one was better than the previous one.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm really looking forward to both the Trilogy release, and the "Other M". The only thing about the Trilogy that annoys me is that I already have corruption, but I have to buy it again to get the first 2 with updated wii controls, but so it is. When I was playing corruption, I said to myself "It'd be totally rad if they re-did the first two Prime's in this same control scheme"...somebody up there heard me. I'm buyin'. As for the Other M, Metroid + Team Ninja = Holy Awesome! I really think this'll be a really innovative and super-cool game. Looking forward to this, too...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how I feel about the title "Other M" but the game looks like it should be good.

As for MP Trilogy, I'll probably skip it for the simple reason that I already own all 3 games and don't have the time to play through them all again. They are excellent and I'm sure the new control scheme would change the experience, but I can't really justify it.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The third game was definitely my favorite - some of the most responsive motion controls for any Wii game to date, and the environments and plot were just more involving.

If I have one complaint about the first two games, it's the difficulty of some of the bosses. I made it to the last boss on Prime 1, and it seemed far and away more difficult than any of the bosses prior, so I had to content myself with watching the end on YouTube (boo!) after slamming my head against a brick wall for a few weeks. (Many gamers didn't have this problem, but FPS games played with a standard game controller aren't really my thing usually.) Prime 2 was even harder than the first one, a little bleaker perhaps, but still worth checking out, although I barely made it halfway through that one.

Corruption (Prime 3) is challenging, but much more perfectly balanced. I think the motion controls have a LOT to do with that. Hopefully the inclusion of motion controls in the first two will improve the difficulty spike during some of the bosses.

FYI, it has been reported - unconfirmed by me - that the FMV (full motion video) cut-scenes have been compressed somewhat for the Trilogy edition of these games. So if you're a purist or a stickler for perfect video quality, you might want to pick up a copy of the original Gamecube versions after everyone sells theirs back. It's possible this is just something that one gaming journalist noticed, and it might not make a difference at all.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
SteveY, I agree with what you are saying. I've never been a FPS fan, and especially not on consoles, but Metroid never felt like a typical FPS to me...more of a platformer from a first person perspective. Regardless, I found myself stumbling on the controls in tense moments on the first two as well, slightly frustrated at the inability to move in exactly the way that I want to. I'm not sure that Corruption was any easier as a whole than Prime, or Prime2, I really think that the Control on Corruption lent itself so well to the style that it felt like an easier game. That's what I hope the incorporation of the control style into the first two will help me to go back and really enjoy those games again (I loved them the first time through). I'm looking forward to plying the whole trilogy consecutively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks