What's new

Metroid Prime Widecsreen mode? (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I recently picked up a component cable for the cube and switched the game to progressive scan as outlined in the manual. However, the game stays in a 4:3 format and does not "automatically" switch to a 16:9 format. Am I missing an option in a menu somewhere, or does the game not include a widescreen mode as advertised?

mike.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I don't believe Metroid Prime has a 16x9 mode. For that matter, where does it advertise one? The back of the game has a progressive scan icon but nothing about 16x9.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Being encoded in prog. scan is irrelevant to whether or not it's encoded (that right word?) in 16x9 format. In my opinion, I'd rather have a game in 16x9 over better resolution, that's just me. Bringing that up, I was playing some Gamecube on our new Mistu 65" and it stretched the game but it looked good. As though it was already in 16x9 but it didn't support it. It seemed as though it really was showing 33% more of the game but I doubt it. Why does it look good when stretchnig is so ghetto?

-Bert

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Not advertised per se, but according to page 11 of the manual:

Please note that on some TVs, activating the progressive scan mode will set the format of the image to a wide-screen (16:9) format.
I own the (very nice) Hitachi 57SWX20b. Connecting component video and activating progressive scan mode does not change the aspect ratio.

mike.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What the manual says is that the TV is doing the stretch and the image isn't meant to be stretched like that.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Please note that on some TVs, activating the progressive scan mode will set the format of the image to a wide-screen (16:9) format.
Some televisions only support prog scan in "full" or 16:9 mode and do not allow you to use a stretch mode while in prog scan mode. Essentially the TV locks into 16:9 mode. That is what this means. It does not mean the game supports 16:9.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
If that is what is meant in the manual, it is horrible wording. My understanding of the wording was that the image would be readjusted to a 16x9 mode, not simply stretched.

Whether or not you activate progressive scan or for that matter use any AV cable (not just component) the picture will be set "to a wide-screen (16:9) format" on a "wide-screen" tv.

If all they meant to imply was that the picture will be stretched on a 16x9 tv, they really dropped the ball on this one and will mislead other consumers.

Damn glad I plopped down $35 for the component cables.

mike.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The manual wording might be weird, but it does say that some TVs will automatically make the image widescreen, even if it isn't supposed to be, when it switches to progressive mode.

If it doesn't have it on the back of the case, it's not there.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
As an aside, are there any cube games that support wide-screen, progressive modes and if so, how is it pictured/worded on the back of the case?

mike.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For widescreen, there is a picture of a TV screen with black bars and it says something along the lines of "Widescreen Enabled." For Progressive, it has a picture of a TV screen and says something "Progressive Scan Enabled." For both in the same game, both symbols are there.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Starfox for sure has PS and 16x9. Odd though, no 16x9 notation on back but labeled for the 480p..hmm. :confused:
Check the HD/5.1 gaming thread, that's got very helpful insight/input.
-Bert

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
When you put the TV into 16x9 or Full, or "Stretch" mode, the image is in a widescreen (or 16:9) format, despite what the signal you're feeding it (if any at all). The wording is fine, and clearly makes reference to the TV, not the game.

Anyway, Metroid looks great in 16:9 mode anyway, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Might not be your bag but my kids and I are still playing it daily...

SSX Tricky supports both I believe...

Miles

John_V

Agent
This thread at IGN seems to have the definitive list of progressive scan & widescreen games.
I also play Metroid "streched", I use the wide zoom mode on my Sony 34XBR800. It really does look good, and if I go back to the 4:3 mode I can't play it, because it feels like I have tunnel vision.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Yeah, it loks fine stretched, but stretched is stretched, and "wide-screen" it ain't (and apparently was never intended to be).

The wording is still horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks