What's new

METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN! (1 Viewer)

Chris Strasz

Stunt Coordinator
Glen and others. Can you do me a big favor? After getting it and playing for a few hours, let me know what you think. I don't have a cube yet but at the moment, feeding off of everyone's opinions of this game is holding me over :) So just post an update or new post on your thoughts and impressions. Thanks!

paul_v

Second Unit
Wooo hooo! Just like Glenhaag Electronics Boutique just called saying that they had enough preorders to get the game in tonight =) I was expecting to not get it until Tuesday at noon but they said they will have it after 5pm today! I will be in gaming heaven tonight :D
Hey Glen you wouldn't happen to be in Plano, Tx eh?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think I may trade in GTA: Vice City for this. Already beat it and I'd prefer to play Metroid rather than explore the city any further.
As for the control scheme argument it's a Nintendo game and although it may sound biased they know what they're doing. I'm sure we'll all get used to the setup once we've put a couple of days into it.
On the keyboard/mouse vs thumbstick controller debate the k/m wins hands down, for any game. If any console FPS had the compatibility to be used with a k/m I'm sure everyone would ditch the controller if they could. With that said I'm a console gamer 1st and PC gamer 2nd, the only console FPS's which had good control imo were Rare's games, the Turoks, and Halo.
Steven- I have a PC connected to my home theater and play Medal of Honor pretty much religously. It's easy to get a keyboard & mouse extension cord and place the keyboard on your lap, and an optical mouse can work on pretty much any surface. Just letting you know it's possible to play with a k/m on a couch and many do it. :)

EdR

Second Unit
However, my console is hooked up in my living room where I sit on my very comfortable couch when I game. The keyboard/mouse isn't going to do a damn thing for anyone in this type of setting.
Well, you really don't need a whole keyboard just a few buttons/keys...I'd like to see someone produce a specialized FPS controller for consoles (is there one for the PS2?). I have a cordless optical mouse, works from 10 feet away. If I could use my mouse on a console for FPS games, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Alas, the game just looks too good to pass up, I will pick up my copy tonight from EB.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Nope, I'm in Madison, WI. I think EB is just trying to keep up having games ahead of the "big box" retailers. That's one reason why I prepurchase from them, I know I'll get it before I probably could at Best Buy. I've gotten all of Nintendo's big releases from this year (ED, SMS, Star Fox) from EB on Monday night.

I'll post something tonight. I should have it around 8 or so Central time, so look for something after 10 o'clock.

Glen

paul_v

Second Unit
When I preordered Metroid on Saturday the EB employee said that the only time they get the games on the monday release date is if there are enough preorders from that particular store. Otherwise they get it on Tuesday at noon. Luckily this EB is popular so they must have met the quota.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Ha, got you beat. It's IN our GC here in the office. Very pretty looking
Very pretty indeed. It playes very nicely too. Feels totally like Metroid. Even better and more to my astonishment, the jumping EXCELLENT! I hate first person jumping but this is just great. You dont have to go crazy timing your jumps and the physics used allow you time to adjust the direction of the jump if needed.

I'll have more once I get farther but so far the best thing I can say is that this is truly Metroid in 3D. Retro really came through here.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Man, I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on this game. Alas, I probably won't be able to find it until tomorrow. Let's hope I do and can play it once I get home from work tomorrow night. The wait for this game is excruciating!

EdR

Second Unit
OK, this game is nice. I actually like the lock-on thing, that combined with the very smooth controls go along way to making this feel as good as a mouse.

There are some frustrating moments when something is behind you and you need to turn around fast, but it's manageable...and quite worth it for the beautiful graphics and effects.

But I feel like an idiot, maybe someone can answer a question. I seem to have damaged my suit to the point where I can't morph into a ball, or charge up my cannon...the damage happened while I was escaping the ship in the first scenario. An explosion blew me into a wall. Did I mess up or is it unavoidable?

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
the anticipation for the game is killin' me. I called my local EB and they didn't have it in. So I guess tomorrow will be the day I pick it up. man, this week is gonna be another expensive week. Metroid Prime, Splinter Cell, Mortal Kombat:DA, and Dragon's Lair 3D. Not to mention the movies I want to buy... oh well those'll have to wait for another week.

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
Picked it up today at a local game stop.

Played it for a few hours. Awesome game. Metroid in 3d. I love it. The sound is perfect. Graphics are top notch. Environments are incredible. System seller for sure.

Game registered me at 2 hours 9 minutes. 03% complete! Can you believe that?

Yes my friends, Samus is back.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Well, I was lucky enough to pick up Metroid Prime tonight at my local EB around 8:30 and all I can say at this point is that I'm extremely impressed by the game.

Without giving away much that you'll experience the first time through, I can say that the game is much different than it appears. In a way it's a first person game, but the game is based so deeply on exploration and discovery, that I hardly think of it as a shooter.

First off, the controls are a bit tough to get used to. When I got into my first encounter with enemies, it was a bit tricky to learn how to strafe them so that I could avoid being shot. After a while though, the control starts to become second nature and you're scanning things while you're fighting them, dodging away from enemies, and jumping from platform to platform.

Graphically speaking, the game is much more impressive than I saw in the screen shots. The first time I used my charge weapon, I was amazed. The lighting effects are just plain terrific.

Already in the game, I've been startled by enemies in a way that only Resident Evil has done to me in the past. Just walking down a hall, and then... BAM!

As far as audio is concerned, the music for the game is great. Having played Super Metroid for the better part of last weekend to prepare for getting this new adventure, the music is almost straight out of the previous games. It's hard to explain, but it's like going back in time the first time you pick up an item for Samus. Also, even though I don't have a Dolby Pro Logic II reciever, the surround sound is very rich and seems very well done.

The game does support Progressive Scan, but since my TV does not support it, I didn't get a chance to test it out.

All in all after 2 hours of play, I've been extremely impressed with the game, and can't wait to get into it more tomorrow.

Glen

EdR

Second Unit
This is unavoidable and part of the story. No need to worry. You will get those abilities back soon.
Well, that's good to know. I'm seeing all these places I should be able to go if only I could morph...but I can't.

...yes, remarkable sound, graphics, textures, environments...the whole package screams high-quality. It really shows off the Gamecube. It is prog. scan, but no 16x9 (that I can find). Really crisp graphics and rich color on my projector.

I did find one particular enemy (without giving anything away) that is annoying because of the controls...by the time I finished 'it' off, my hands were about to fall off...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm getting mine today and I'm very excited.
I stopped by Walmart and played it for a few minutes.

Right now all I can say is that I'm pretty impressed.

paul_v

Second Unit
This game surpasses my expectations. A solid 9.9 score from me. What keeps me from giving it a 10 is that the controls aren't perfect due to the fact that switching visors while you are running doesn't seem possible without stopping.

That's my only complaint =) Everything else seems perfect so far. I'm only 13% complete though and that's after only 3.5 hours of playtime. This game feels like Metroid. They have successfully converted Metroid into the 3d realm. It's awesome!!!

I am stuck in the game though...

I can't seem to kill this one boss mob

the one with the mirrors you have to tilt

I think I may need another energy tank (I have 2 tanks for a total of 300 energy at the moment and 35 missiles) or something. This boss seems to hit a little too hard for the gear I have so I may be fighting it prematurely. Maybe a suit upgrade is needed before encountering this boss?

The game is definately NOT easy =) Which is great!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks