Metroid Prime demo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlenHaag, Nov 5, 2002.

1. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I have to say that this was 10 of the best gaming minutes that I've had in quite some time. I stopped off at Target to pick up the complete Sports Night series on DVD, and stopped to look at the video game area to see what was around. I wasn't even looking at the Gamecube display until I noticed that they had a playable Metroid demo and knew that I had to give it a whirl.

My first impression was that I wouldn't get used to the controls, because when I chose the game and started looking at all of the things that you have to do with the controller I was more than a bit overwhelmed. After 2 or 3 minutes though, I found myself completely at ease with the control scheme and before I knew it, I was analyzing items and blasting all sorts of uglies.

The one thing that really surprised me were the visuals for the game. I've been looking at videos of the game for quite some time now, but I was quite surprised with how well it represents itself (even on the rinky little Target monitor).

All I know is that I really have to get moving in GTA: Vice so that I can make all of my gaming time available for Prime... and Fusion. (Must unlock NES metroid to play again....)

Glen

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I do know that there is no strafing in Metroid Prime, which is one of my biggest concerns about the game.

Don't know about the aiming up and down controls though.

3. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Well, once you lock onto someone you can strafe. You just have to be locked onto someone to do it.

I don't think we can aim without holding down the shoulder button. I just got used to it over time.

Glen

4. Shaun Gonzalez

Shaun Gonzalez Auditioning

Not only that, but you can strafe without locking on if you hold the L trigger in partway (so it doesn't click). That will make left/right on the controller strafe instead of turn.

Personally, I love the idea. It really isn't a typical FPS game. From what I've seen/read, the challenge isn't going to be in aiming the cursor at an enemy, but knowing their weak spots, and dodging their shots.

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter