Metroid Prime 2 is official!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    It's nothing we didn't already know, but Nintendo now has a Metroid Prime 2 (tentative title) page. The only thing basically confirmed is that Retro will be handling the game once again.

I doubt if it'll be called Metroid Prime 2. That kind of has specific meaning to the current game.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepa...=1699&showMe=1

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

You know, I really liked Metroid Prime, but felt that it was a little derivative[​IMG] (Yes, calculus humor is rampant at this hour).

Still, good to hear confirmation on it. Only question is, how to make the next one better than the first-what could they do better?

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the name will probably change before it's release. Even so, it's a game to look forward to.

4. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I read on either IGN or Gamespot that the sequel will most likely have a multi-player component. I'm not quite sure how that would work, as the mechanics of the game don't quite lend themselves to that element.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What are the chances they'll fix the controls to match a "real" FPS?

I know, I know...they didn't want "real" FPS style controls but we all know the game would have been even better with more control options. Still, it was phenomenal.

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

JamesH-

The games were never really story-driven. Metroid Fusion is the least Metroid-ish game in the series.

9. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Maybe I'm just too star-struck by this game, but I thought it was near perfect. I loved the level design, texture work, music, and even the controls grew on me. Making the next Metroid anything less than 3D would be a mistake, IMHO.

Improvements I could see for the next game would be better boss design (even more grand in scale, and detail) and more balanced weaponry (I barely find myself using the Charge or Wave beam after picking up the Plasma and Ice beams). Adjustable difficulty from the onset would be nice as well (instead of having to unlock it).

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Masood-

In the older Metroids, when you picked up a weapon, it would replace the last one you got. So you didn't have a choice of 4 weapons. In MP, you have a choice, but near the end of the game you don't need to switch around much.

And I found the game to be perfect in just about every way. The enemy attack patterns weren't that hard to figure out (especially the security cameras) but it was still amazing.

And they can make another 2-D Metroid on the GBA. If they're making more on the GameCube, I say make them like Prime.

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Metroid Prime is a game that is far and away a case of the whole being far, far greater than the sum of its parts. Sure parts of it don't work perfect. Some of the jumping is killer, the grapple beam doesn't get used as much as I'd like myself, I don't much like fiddling with that damn x-ray visor, and so forth.

But big deal? Every game has a few flaws, but I haven't played anything as satisfying as Metroid Prime in a loong time. There are so many parts I could single out for being amazing. Tough as hell fighting that's challenging without being impossible, memorable scenarios (that thermal visor section is an absolute blast, and quite the rush), and some of the best boss battles in a 3D game I've ever seen.

I just beat the game literally fifteen minutes ago, and I'm almost sad to see it go. It has that addictive quality that makes you want to play it a little more and a little more just to see what neat-o power-up you're going to unlock.

I'd love to see the game branch into a whole new set of power-ups for the next installment, but a new 3D Metroid will have no complaints from me, especially since Retro's behind it.

Ah well, I suppose I'll see everybody back here in March for Zelda [​IMG].