What's new

Metroid Movie (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't care if it's good or not as long as it leads to a first-person sequel to Metroid Prime. ;)

Actually, I still hope it's good.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't have my hopes up. I can't think of a single video game inspired film that turned out to be good. Mortal Kombat was ok back in the day but my tastes have improved since then.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I can't think of a single video game inspired film that turned out to be good.
I actually enjoyed Resident Evil quite a bit. Fun movie with a great music score, oh and lots of Mila. :)
I also thought the ending was incredible and very well done.

-Dean-

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
While I would like to see a director other than Paul Anderson direct, he seems like a likely candidate, if this ever really gets off the ground.

And please, please, please don't let the plot to the movie be about Samus saving a primitive tribe from a gang of evil baddies a la ST: insurrection or the 'time machine' update. I can just see it now, samus kneeling in her suit to talk to a cute little girl holding a doll, promising that 'everything will be alright.'

This movie needs to include:

CG metroids
Ice beam/wave beam special effects
Ridley
Kraid
Space Pirates
Mother Brain

~j

Terry St

Second Unit
I don't have my hopes up. I can't think of a single video game inspired film that turned out to be good.
I've always thought Tron was a pretty decent flick. It might not be an adaptation of a specific video game, but it is undisputably video game inspired. A direct adaptation of Metroid might make for an okay sci-fi thriller. I won't hold my breath though. It really depends on what audience they target it for.

AaronJB

Second Unit
Maybe it's just me (and nothing against Metroid), but personally, I'd rather see a movie made out of Halo.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Halo is much more cinematic. Metroid is all about the gameplay.

I hope Anderson doesn't do this because he's already done a few videogame-based movies. I honestly hope this never gets off the ground unless it's going to come out perfect.

Let's face it, the videogames that are already 99% movie (like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy) are the best candidates for movies, and even then might not end up good. They'll have to seriously alter the storylines in order to make them work (except for Silent Hill, which I hope David Lynch does the sequel if they make it).

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
"The Wizard" has to be in close competition. I wonder which one boosted Nintendo sales more...
Wasn't that just Nintendo's platform for launching Super Mario Bros. 3? Oh, brother....I loved that movie back in the day. The same with Mortal Kombat. I guess my tastes have also improved.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
don't let the plot to the movie be about Samus saving a primitive tribe from a gang of evil baddies a la ST: insurrection
Actually, Paul Anderson already did this(very well, too) in Soldier.

I can see a decent script based on elements from the SNES game, which would also leave possibilities open for a prequel. There were some excellent locations in there that could be translated to the screen. It wouldn't be cheap, but...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh, by the way:

Am I the only one who hated Mortal Kombat? I'm sorry, but Reptile not being like the rest of the characters, actually killing off the bad guys, and Goro looking like crap, combined with really bad costumes and too much fake drama ruined the movie for me, and there's even MORE bad stuff beyond that!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Halo would make a good movie I think. Bungie's Myth series would make a better one, and even earlier still, their Marathon trilogy of games (the trilogy for which Halo is a prequel) would make an interesting movie if done right. Story has always been paramount to Bungie games, and it really does show.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Heavily storied games make for bad movies as stories written for games rarely work in other formats. You're best off with something that has a solid premise, but no specific plot associated with it, whether because they have a lot of entries in the series or the game dopesn't have much story to begin with. metroid falls into this category. So does Castlevania.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This link has some details on what the story is supposed to be:

http://www.gamers.com/news/1303203

Personally, my greatest fear is that they'll "cheesecake" Samus. Sure, the first game "stripped her out of her space suit" at the end, but I still don't think that's what Samus Aran is all about. She should be like Boba Fett, not Lara Croft.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
While playing the 'mines' level in Metroid Prime, a friend commented that it reminded him of 'Aliens.' A successful Metroid movie (not likely, I realize) would utilize that dark, 'pitch black' imagery.

I would love to see Alex Proyas direct Metroid.
I would love to see either Charlize Theron or Ashley Judd play Samus.

True to my tradition of hashing out the 'worst case scenario' for movies like this, here is a look into my crystal ball:

A sassy, wisecracking teenage Metroid sidekick, voiced by John Leguizamo floats alongside Samus during their adventure. The Captain of the space pirates, played by Cole Hauser (king of b-movie villains). A rogue smuggler played by Heath Ledger (love interest for Samus).

The plot would place Samus in peril, and Ledger's 'i don't care about nobody' brooder would be forced to go and rescue her, but not after a prolonged speech by pirate/hauser about how the pirates will win, etc.

The teenage Metroid will distract the bad guys by performing a rap, allowing the male lead to take charge and rescue Samus...

"Hip, hop, the hip hip hop, and the Metroid don't stop.." etc, waving its jellyfish like tentacles around in a 'raise the roof' gesture. This will be the final scene in the trailer, and the Metroid charms us with his rap. Oh, and the Metroid has a love interest too, voiced by songstress idol Christina Aguilera. And the backstreet boys will play space pirates. And the ending credits song "Metroid gonna ---- ya up" by Korn, a raucus rap-metal homage to the Metroids' fabled energy sucking abilities, only lending it a slightly pseudo-sexual vampiric affectation. I almost forgot, the scrappy Miner's son, played by Jake Lloyd.

"Are you a good Metroid or a bad Metroid?"

~j

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the best bet would be to do the movie in CGI. If they used Final Fantasy-level CGI (or whatever the more modern equivalent would be) then it would be fine. It's not like you need to see Samus' face often or anything.

BTW, I wonder how they'll flesh out Samus' history.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, dear god, this has potential disaster written all over it.

But man, I hope not. The original 8-bit game is probably STILL my favorite video game of all time. I couldn't believe it took them this long to release a modern platform version for the GameCube. I think it has great characters, creatures, weapons, mythology, etc. The science and the fiction both have a kind of Robert A. Heinlein edge to them, and if this ends up in the right hands, I could go completely fanboy gooey, which I try to refrain from doing so often.

*crosses his fingers*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks