1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Metroid and John Woo?!? Unbelievable news!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chris_clem, Apr 9, 2004.

1. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Never really liked his style, MI:2 had some really far-fetched scenes, and this coming from a guy who loves all 3 Matri. [​IMG]

We'll see if this can beat Resident Evil for VG -> movie translation.

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Although I'm not a fan of the Metroid series, I would certainly love to see this movie when it's released. Hopefully it'll be better than most videogame to movie translations. The Tomb Raider series, IMO, is bordering on complete garbage.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I'm going to dissent here. I love the Metroid Series (one of my favorites of all time), and I love its deep-space insects versus lone bounty hunter theme... the games have a lonely, mechanical feel (they are hardly melodramatic). John Woo's movies are often a collection of slow-motion stunts strung together with far-fetched plot lines. Don't get me wrong -- ass-kicking bounty hunters, alien insects and space travel in themselves are "far-fetched", but at least the Metroid series follows its own internal logic. And how will he be able to insert his slow-motion shot of doves/birds flying? Maybe he will include slow-motion shots of those manta-ray creatures from Metroid 1 swinging back and forth slowly to the ground...

About the only slow-motion I have connected with Metroid is the occasional slow-down when too many enemies appear on the screen. Maybe Woo will do something with that, make it a plot point or something...?

s [​IMG]

5. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Skip the fluffy American stuff. Go watch Woo's earlier HK movies (The Killer, Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow). Much better stuff.

That said, with the right cast this could be big.

Chris

6. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I can't see this game working as a movie. The whole game is Samus alone on a planet with a bunch of aliens. There's no talking, and no interaction with other people.

They'd have to take a lot of liberties to get a screenplay out of it.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've heard that a number of times. Will need to check those out as I agree with the above re: his "North American Style." The slo-mo hero shots tend to get a little annoying. That aside this could be an interesting movie.

8. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I'd be more worried about the script at this point...

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm sure they could come up with some cool action scenes, but a good story is going to be impossible without making something up from nothing.

10. RobMorrow

RobMorrow Extra

I wonder if there will be any parts with doves flying around in slow motion [​IMG]

11. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Woo's earlier movies are good, but still involve quite a bit of overstylized action. I think that the acting and plots in his HK movies are superior (and by now they've become cliches), and that Woo has been ruined by the expectations put on him by Hollywood and his bigger budgets (and big-name stars).

That said, I think it would be difficult to get a movie made that would be true to everything that makes Metroid really cool. Like Rob said above, there would have to be lots of liberties taken (love interest, "commando squad" types, talking aliens, annoying children, ETC.)...

In an ideal hollywood, I'd love to see a Metroid movie that contains little dialogue, perhaps continuing/heated discussions between Samus and some pragmatic computer "mentor" (referencing, perhaps, the interaction in Metroid Fusion)... the movie could start in a laboratory, then laying the foundation for a trip to some incredible/scary planet with lots of action setpieces: long-deserted alien hospitals and laboratories, organic/slimy tunnels and benign/hostile Metroids, underwater environments... a movie that would convey plot mostly through visual storytelling (visual effects and acting)... and preferably an unknown actress in the title role. A movie as non-melodramatic as the Metroid series itself.

Hardly bankable concepts, but good for the dream world.

~s