What's new

Metriod Prime worries (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Looking at some of the footage for Metroid Prime, and I'm starting to get a little worried about the first person controls. The biggest problem seems to be that the scheme IGN describes has no way to move and aim at the same time-an essential technique for FPS games. Have to play it to find out for sure though.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Metroid 4 for GBA... Now if only there were more original first party titles (like an original Zelda or Mario) for GBA...

Zamir Juma

Auditioning
Now's as good a time as any for my first post..

Yep, aiming is going to be minimal in Metroid Prime, thanks to the auto-lock on system.. I guess the developers felt that their game wasn't really an "FPS" so they simplified the control scheme - forgoing the dual analog setup found in most FPS's (and even Nintendo's own Luigi's Mansion).. Maybe they felt that they needed all the face buttons to be used, so they couldn't afford both thumbs being occupied with the analogs.. Anyway, IGN says the control scheme works fine - impressions of the game have been fantastic all around.. It's a game to look out for.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Having an auto lock-on works for me for two reasons:
a) Metroid has never been about shooting enemies, so I don't really care if my aim is being assisted by the computer. Besides, Samus' visor can monitor her freakin' health levels, it should be able to call shots ;)
b) Trying to play FPS' with a console controller licks. I can snap the wings off a flea with a mouse and keyboard, but I'm lucky if can hit part of the dog when I'm using a gamepad :D

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm going to have faith and wait for the Metroid to come out. I admit to being a bit worried before since I don't normally play FPS titles but I figure I can't pass up a new Metroid game. Here's to hoping it comes out good...
-Andre F

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
We already have 2 great Metroids and another 2-D one coming up. I say bring on the 3-D one and let us try it out. If it sucks, we can just go back to one of the others.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
As far as console controls for a FPS, I think Halo is as good as it gets. I couldn't stand Goldeneye - if I remember correctly you moved with the control stick and if you wanted to look around you had to hold down R or something? So annoying, made any "advanced" movement like circle strafing difficult if not impossible.

I suppose they could use the C-stick for looking while moving, but it's a bit small. We'll see.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The control layout that IGN posted had the C stick used for weapons. Basically, it seems like the Goldeneye scheme all over again, which is the problem. Halo (and the MOH games for Ps1) got it right, but hopefully if the game is designed with this crippling control in mind, it'll still work.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Zelda being made was a combo Zelda multiplayer game/Link to the Past?

MDK2 and Turok 1 had a control scheme where the control stick controlled the view and the 4 directional buttons (the face buttons on DC, the C-buttons on N64) controlled movement. Both were pretty good...

But I would say this is my favorite control scheme:

Left Analog: move forward/backward and turn left/right
Right Analog: look up/down and strafe left/right

Its actually the same as the one used in GoldenEye, only the C-buttons are replaced by the right analog stick.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Goldeneye scheme was awesome, and still is. Just as Perfect Dark. It was es as hell to go ina circle, you just need a "feel" for the game/controller. Hold down the joystick diagonallyright or left and usethe c buttons to move, circle bam. I'd definitely cruh in both those games then, as I do. :)
-Bert
P.S. Metroid looks tighhhhhttttt

Eric Nees

Agent
The default controls on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark didn't let you circle strafe very easily, but if you switched them to the 1.2 option, AKA Turok's controls, you could pull of circle strafing just fine.

Metroid Prime's controls are based on adventure games like Zelda. Circle strafing is possible, but only after you've locked on to the enemy. It really shouldn't be a big deal, considering you're going to lock on to every enemy you shoot in this game. Just like Nintendo has been saying, this isn't a first person shooter, so why should it have FPS controls?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After playing A LOT of GoldenEye with friends, I learned how to circle easily. The TimeSplitters control setup also is easy to circle around with.

Eric Nees

Agent
FYI, auto-locking in Metroid is basically Z targeting from the Zelda games. It's not automatic, if an enemy is on the screen you have to pull the L trigger to initiate the lock-on. Just like in Zelda, you don't have to use it, but it's much harder to kill anything if you don't. It will be next to impossible to strafe around and dodge the enemies if you're not locked on.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
FYI, auto-locking in Metroid is basically Z targeting from the Zelda games. It's not automatic, if an enemy is on the screen you have to pull the L trigger to initiate the lock-on. Just like in Zelda, you don't have to use it, but it's much harder to kill anything if you don't. It will be next to impossible to strafe around and dodge the enemies if you're not locked on.
The problem is that they aren't going with a typical dual analog set-up for Metroid (TimeSplitters, Halo). If they were, aiming without a lock-on feature wouldn't be that hard. Of course, the c-stick on the GC controller is lame, so that may have been reason for not going with that set-up.

Aaron

Eric Nees

Agent
Considering the first game released for the system, Luigi's Mansion, had the dual analog setup, I don't think it would've been that hard to use that type of setup for Metroid.

Nintendo has said since it first became known that the game would have a first person perspective that the game would not be your typical first person shooter, like Halo and Timespliters. This is exactly why the control is different from those types of games. I understand that everyone likes that style of control, I do as well. But in Metroid you will not be killing things while manually aiming, everything is done for you by Samus' super suit. That's just the way Nintendo has made the game, keeping the focus more on the exploring and less on the shooting.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
When I think about it though, I did a lot of shooting in Metroid... Here's hoping it works though-although I think I'll have to rent before I invest in a cube for it. If it's as good as I hope it is though, I'm sure I'll have one.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
From the preview I dont think there is anything to worry about. The controls seem unique yet easy to use. The lock on function apparently is used well and as noted in that preview your not going to be swarmed by enemies.

I have to be honest and say that I am glad they don't have allot of jumping in the game. I for one absolutely HATE jumping in a first person shooter. Though it changes some of the fundamental gameplay of the Metroid series and that is a little disappointing, the alternative would have been far too aggravating!

I can't wait for this to come out!

PS: I *LOVE* the music in the trailer. Totally captures the spirit of Metroid IMO. Brought back memories of Super Metroid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks