What's new

Metallica Lives! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like fun. I've read that James has been having a hard time lateley (finally battling his alcoholism), it's nice to see them get out and have some fun.

Rock doesn't want to tour though, they still need a touring bassist - IMO they should judt pick up a hired gun and go around with different bass players like The Who switched drummers. (however, Zach Starkey I must admit does seem to work very well in The Who).

NP: Eric Clapton: Unplugged

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Sorry, but Metallica has been dead (musically) ever since Bob Rock got involved with them.

Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, thanks. I can understand that, especially the Napster part. It's supposed to be about the music, but regardless of a band's good intentions and ideals, there are going to be distractions when they make it big.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I thought the reason he left was because Hetfield & Ulrich wouldn't let him do any sort of side projects. I guess he is also in producing. I saw on the web that he produced some album from a band called "Speedealer"

Speaking of his band, Echobrain, are they any good? I heard a track or two and I didn't think it was too spectacular. I seem to remember really not liking the lead singer.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I gotta agree with jeff Adkins on this. "Metallica" was a good album even though Rock produced it, it felt like a fresh start for them, but everything after that has been some bland blues-metal crap that sounds murky, unfocused and just really bland, productionwise. The songwriting hasn't been very good either.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt again, but I'm not getting my hopes up again after the disastrous past few albums.
I love that they keep playing the old stuff a lot though, I wish they would write new material similar to that. That club gig seemes to have been a lot of fun.
They should just bring in Dave Ellefson on base and get back to playing thrash metal. :)
/Mike

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I have heard that they have been in the studio since May 1st of this year recording a new album. I can't wait to hear. My guess would be a Christmas release since that seems to be the time all new albums seem to come out.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was reading an interview or a news article a few weeks ago (on KNAC.com I think) and there was a rumor that Metallica may try recruiting David Ellefson now that Megadeth has broken up. Now that would actually be pretty cool if they went back to the way they sounded before the two Load albums. Maybe David could bring some Megadeth influences to Metallica and they create a new sound.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
This new album will be very interesting. Let's hope they can pull it off and it doesn't end up being another Re-Load.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Wow, am I the only one who liked Re-Load (and I liked it more than Load, incidentally)?

I'm a bit disappointed that Bob Rock is playing bass on the new album. I'm a bassist, and while I don't necessarily want the job, I think that just because you can play bass that doesn't make you a bass player.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just think Bob Rock overproduces records. There is none of the raw, heavy sound on the black album that there was on Lightning or Puppets. Bob Rock has his place for what he does, I just think it doesn't mix with Metallica at all.
The other problem with Metallica is that James' voice is ruined. If you listen to him try and sing some of the older stuff from Kill 'Em All on the Cunning Stunts DVD, it's embarrassing.
Jeff

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I actually do like some of the songs on Load and Re-Load but they probably could have put the best of both albums together and made one decent album. As overproduced as the "black album" was, I still like it. That was the last Metallica album that I liked all the way through when I first listened to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks