Metallica DVD-A disc...difference between audio tracks 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Smith, Jun 14, 2002.

1. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Hello. I just recently got a DVD-A player and I've been playing around with my 1st DVD-A disc (Metallica). What is the difference between the 2 audio tracks when I hit the audio button on my player? They seem to sound exactly the same, but something has to be different. Thanks in advance! David

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

You need to tell us about your equipment and set up. Do you have 3 pair of analog cables hooked up to a direct input on a receiver. Is there a setting on the dvd player that needs to be activated to 6 channel analog instead of bitstream? Give us some more details and we can help.

3. David Smith

Brian,

Oh yeah, I've got it all set up correctly and know all about that, I just want to know if the 2 tracks on the disc are different. It's like hitting the audio button when watching a movie and it brings up the list of options....Dolby Digital, DTS, French 2.0, etc. It toggles between those options as you hit the audio button.

The difference is, on this DVD-A disc, the 2 tracks are just labelled 1 and 2, so there really is no description.

My DVD player does say "DVD Audio" no matter which trck is playing also.

4. Brian Burgoyne

I just went and put in my copy of metallica on my toshiba 4700 and my only two choices on the tv screen menu were surround sound playlist and stero playlist. they weren't numbered or anything. don't know what to tell you. the disc is awsome tho...best rock dvd-a out there right now.

5. David Smith

Brian, thanks for checking. Actually, the tracks I'm speaking of don't show up on the disc menu, they only show up for a few seconds on the on screen display when I hit the "audio" button on my DVD player remote. Hmmm, kinda puzzling.

6. Brian Burgoyne

What is your dvd player? Do you get the same choices I do on the tv screen menu?

By the way, stop by Eskimo Joe's and have a cold one for me!

7. David Smith

Eskimo Joes! I'm goin' tonight. I may even have some cheese fries...hehe

Have you been to Joes before?

Anyway, as far as the DVD menu, yes, I have all the options that you mention. Thanks again, David