Metallica aka Black Album Review

Discussion in 'Music' started by scottLarson, Jan 16, 2005.

1. scottLarson

scottLarson Agent

The Black Album
    This album is my first introducing into Metallica. It's not their best but it's very very good rock album. A-

1.Enter Sandman-*****
    2.Sad But True-*****
    3.Holier then you-***
    4.The Unforgiven-****1/2
    5.Where I may Roam-****
    6.Don't tread on me-***
    7.Through the Never-***1/2
    8.Nothing Else Matters-*****
    9.Of wolf andman-***1/2
    10.The God that failed-***3/4
    11.My friend of Misery-***1/4
    12.The Struggle within-***

2. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

---Edit-- I didnt see the reviews for AJFA and RTL before writing this post...so I just came off sounding stupid..lol

As a HUGE Metallica fan...

You need to listen to (in any order)

Master of Puppets
    ..And Justice For All
    Ride The Lightning
    Kill Em All

The "Black Album" while good, does not represent what Metallica was at their prime. The 4 albums preceeding it were 4 of the best Metal albums ever written/recorded.

Also Enter Sandman is not a ***** song on that album, IMO at least.

That is probably my least favorite song Metallica has ever written.

3. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

My favorite with absolutely no doubt is Master of Puppets. In fact the order you've got them written is my order of preference, although I actually like the black album better than Kill Em All.

4. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I don't even consider this a Metallica album since this is when they sold out. Just my opinion.

Brion

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I would hardly call Metallica sell outs. Sure, this album is what made the household names, but it wasn't due to radically changing their style for more commercial exposure. No, it isn't a rehash of their earlier work, but this album is a milestone. Who would have thought back in the No Life 'Til Leather days that Metallica would become the 4th highest grossing touring act in the world? Even though I'm not that interested in much of their later work, I still give them credit for their incredible hard work over the years. Their success is well deserved.

6. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

You wouldn't call producing 4 videos for the album (a concept Metallica always disliked, "One" aside) or making 3 1/2 minute radio-friendly songs "changing their style"?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Black album is the last decent album they've done, but they most certainly did change alot on that record.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Sorry, but calling Metallica "radio friendly" just isn't logical, and Enter Sandman is far from a "commercial" song.

Metallica have evolved over time, but they by no stretch of the imagination have "sold out." Radio has adjusted to them, not the other way around.

8. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Agreed!

After their bassest died (after Master of Puppets), it was all down hill from there. Most of you young pups weren't even listening to Metallica when they first came out cause you were probably were in grade school. Most of us old folks were listening to Slayer, Sepultura etc. at that time too.

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

After the Black Album debuted at #1 on Billboard, Radio didn't have a choice [​IMG]

10. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I have a video of when they were recording the Black album. It shows how James was spit on by a fan saying they sold out when they released a video for ONE which was on the Justice album.
    Througout the video you hear talk about how its not about the money and its just the music but they only agree'd to do the ONE video if it accuratly depicted the idea of the song which i find it did perfectly... fast forward...now its just junk

Honestly tho the black album is a good album to start from compaired to hearing anything after it.
    You can hear from album to album their changes.
    Honestly I remember being in kidnergarten having a walkman with the Justice album and having my teacher tell the principal to call my parents to tell them i was listening to devil music. lol
    I'd suggest this order of listening to the other albums
    Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and Justice for all. Tho the idea that ppl have yet to hear all of these albums by this time in their lives...
    Oh also don't download any metallica or Lars or James will personally come to your house and kick your butt.

11. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I have no problem with the Black album. When I say I'm a big Metallica fan, and someone says, "Yeah, I love the Black Album" I know to just nod and to not bother with a serious Metallica conversation. [​IMG]

Seriously, the black album if fine. Honestly, I don't mind their newer stuff either (prefer Anger to the Loads albums). Ultimately though, my heart is always torn between Justice and Puppets. The bass talks to me in Puppets -- I've always been more of a bass guy, it keeps the music together. I've listened to a lot of noisy bands, where if there wasn't a good bass, you wouldn't know what the hell they were playing without lyrics. Justice on the otherhand is lyrically awesome and has a raw power to it that I can't explain.

A funny you guys/gals will appreciate. First time I heard Metallica was Justice. I was in junior high/high school timeframe when it came out. I picked up dub copies of Puppets and dubbed my buddies Justice (none of my friends were old enough to have bought or truly heard Kill Em All or Lightening). My mom, bless her librarian heart, was concerned about me listening to them -- she's always been against censorship (being a librarian), but was still not to sure if it was good for me to listen to at that age. My mom sat down for 20 minutes or whatever, and read the entire lyric sheet in the tape. She folds it up and says "Go ahead." Mom didn't know what they were about, but when she read the lyrics, she knew that it was real life solid stuff that wasn't going to corrupt me, just help me grow. Thanks Mom. [​IMG]

Doug

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Metallica have evolved over time, but they by no stretch of the imagination have "sold out." Radio has adjusted to them, not the other way around."

Sorry but they didnt evolve over time. The change was from one album to another. 3 years isnt evolving over time.Listen to Dyers Eve and then Enter Sandman - thats a radical change.And it was intentional.

"I would hardly call Metallica sell outs. Sure, this album is what made the household names, but it wasn't due to radically changing their style for more commercial exposure."

Sorry but your wrong again. I was listening to Metallica back in 1984. They were modeled after Motorhead.They swore youd never hear Metallica on anything but metal and underground radio programs,and so on. They did everything they swore theyd never do.Now of course a band can change as they mature, but I dont think they did. I had this argument wth someone years ago. He said "well they finally grew up" and I said I didnt see how anyone could argue that Enter Sandman or Sad But True was a more mature work that Master Of Puppets or Call Of Khulu. They got a taste of superstardom and wanted more.

The thing is they didnt have to. Metallica was always popular and they got alot of exposure with Justice.

They took the easy way - plain and simple.

I recently listened to the Black Album. My brother mentioned it and I hadent heard it in almost 10 or so years. I ended up fast fowarding thru most of it.

13. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have to agree Jon. I don't care what a band does as far as 'selling out'. I either like the music or I don't. But with Metallica, they themselves put down others for doing videos,ballads and using 'hit' producers. Then they go ahead and do it themselves. Black is o.k. It just doen't measure up to what came before it in my opinion.
    It isn't really a big deal to me, but to some old school fans it is. I've been a fan since Lightning, and while I don't care for their newer music, I don't get all upset about it, I just don't buy it. Or download it.[​IMG]

Regards
    KrisM

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Of course they evolved from album to album, how else would you have them evolve? I first heard Metallica in 1982, along with all the other bands that were just starting out back then. Did you really expect them to keep rehashing the same material over and over? If they had, they would never have gotten anywhere. How could anyone had predicted that radio would play anything as hard as Metallica back in 1984? It simply wouldn't happen. Video was only just beginning, and even there, forget anything heavy being played, we had Boy George and Duran Duran. Yes, Metallica have matured, but the Black album was no where near the "easy way out." When they start singing songs that Shania could be playing, then I'll consider them sell outs, until then, they are Metallica, and the same guys I knew back in the early eighties, just a hell of a lot more successful.

15. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Hehehe, I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there on the list. I just got so tired of it.

Yeah, this used to be a great album in my opinion. It's still a solid album, but then I discovered their older stuff. I also agree that they have done a lot of things they said they'd never do.

Give me Master of Puppets any day. Or Garage Inc, disc 2. That's a great collection.

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Did you really expect them to keep rehashing the same material over and over? If they had, they would never have gotten anywhere."

I give you bands like Sepultura,Voivod,Overkill,Exodus,Alice In Chains,Death and countless others who matured and GOT BETTER and they went along.

None of those examples rehashed what they were doing earlier. They progressed and evolved and even improved. Their songs improved as they matured. Not so with Metallica IMHO.

I have no problem with a band softening their sound or slowing down or cutting their hair (which Hammet seems to think was the problem).It has nothing to do with that, as long as the music is worthy of the bands name.It has to do with the QUALITY OF THEIR SONGS.They werent doing anything during the 90s that alot of other bands werent doing better. Instead of innovators and being cream of the crop,they were just another act.(Can yo u try to look like Dave Navarro any more Kirk?)

This is all IMHO. And you disagree fine. But the Metallica I knew would never wear makeup, furcoats and do videos for shitty mediocre songs like I Disappear, Enter Sandman or Nothing Else MattersThey were better than that. In their prime they stood for the strengths of Metal/music, not its cliches. The music was intelligent and had heart.

17. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Actually, i think most of these bands went down hill in the 90s. Lets face it, thrash was the cool thing in the 80s and just ran its course. Everyone had a hard edge back then, each band creating these heavy riffs. It was the antithesis of 80s glam rock which most of us (real rockers) couldn't stand. I think only Slayer kept up the heavy stuff.

18. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

They TOTALLY sold out with the black album! I like the result (like I said, I like the black album better than Kill Em All), but it was a blatant attempt at becoming more commercially viable. The DVD-A of the black album has a short clip from some DVD about the making of the album. Even in that little clip they talk about how the album would have been totally different if Bob Rock hadn't stepped in and turned them into a metal pop band.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. The only one of those bands that got better with time was Alice In Chains, and they a) started in a much more commercial radio-friendly niche than Metallica did, and b) didn't last long enough to degenerate like so many other bands do.

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you want a real example of selling out, look at Def Leppard before and after Mutt Lange. The black album, without the band's history, would not have been remotely commercial.

We'll agree to disagree about most of the other bands mentioned, all of whom, IMO made their marks early on, and just continued in the same vein afterwards, but to lesser effect. I'd pull out Voivod from that pack, who did do some interesting stuff later on, but as much as I had fun playing and partying with Exodus back in the '80s, their best album is still Bonded by Blood.

20. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

OK, Sepultura and Overkill, maybe those were bad examples.Sepultura didnt make enough great albums to compare - I do love Beneath The Remains - Chaos AD- Havent heard anything snce Max left.

While Overkill got sort of lost after Horrorscope and thru most of the 90s they really bounced back recently with their last 2 albums.

Voivod and Death are very valid. Especially Death. Chuck went from powerchord bashing to IMHO the greatest technical guitarist on the planet.

Exodus too. And Ill have to disagree with you again. I prefer the Souza version of the band to the Baloff version.BBB is just another Slayer sound alike while they were more unique sounding with Souza. Im also one of few who enjoyed everything thru Force Of Habit. And their 94 album Tempo Of The Damned is fantastic.

"The black album, without the band's history, would not have been remotely commercial."

Maybe, but the bands history is what makes this and everything done after it such a disappointing effort.

Actually I wouldnt care who recorded it - Nothing else Matters and Sandman are commercial radio crap.