1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

metal vs silk dome vs titanium vs aluminium tweeters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 1, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

what are the differences?

people say "oh that thing uses such and such tweeters", like i know what that means. well, no i dont. please educate this young fella.

thx in advance!

2. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

metal, aluminum, and titanium are all similar (if not the same)

Silk dome is a different sound all together

it is all a matter of personal preference

3. felix_suwarno

how does it differ?

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Metal tweeters are generally thought of to be more forward and even bright. Poorly designed ones will have metallic ringing due to the nature of the material. Silk/soft dome tweeters on the other hand are generally thought of to be more "laid-back" and dark, again due to the nature of the material. In short, what this means is that metal tweeters are more flat at the higher frequencies, while silk/soft dome tweeters may rolloff at the higher frequencies. While theoretically a flat frequency response is desired, musically people may prefer a rolled off high frequency for reduced listening fatigue. It all depends on your preference.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Metal tweeters are definitely more bright, and crisp, meaning you will tend to hear a bit more detail.

Titanium and aluminum are NOT the same, each has a very distinct sound, but this is very much affected by the tweeter design and crossover.

A soft dome uses various types of fabric for the tweeter (commonly silk), and they tend to sound, well, soft. While I like the sound of Titanium, I actually prefer the sound of a good soft dome paired with an appropriate crossover. I feel soft domes give better upper midrange, particularly for vocals. They sound a bit more realistic to me, due to their softness.

The sound of the tweeter is very much one of the first things one tends to notice about a speaker, giving it much of it's character. It's hard to describe, so you will have to go out and try to find some speakers that have soft domes and give them a listen.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Great descriptions guys.

I have to say it...Silk Domes Rule!

7. felix_suwarno

what are the examples of speakers with silk domes? are they more expensive?

btw thanks for the replies.

8. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Also, can anyone tell me about ribbon tweeters? Are they different/better than aluminium dome tweets?
    (Sorry to intrude on your thread Felix! [​IMG])

9. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I pretty well buy into the theory of different tweeter types having sounds that can be grouped by driver material.

But of course there are always exceptions. My sweet sounding Vandersteen 2 CE Signatures have aluminum tweeters and few speakers I've ever heard sound less "bright".

10. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Here are some speakers with a gorgeous silk dome tweeter.

11. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

ACI uses silk dome tweeters in all of their speakers. They are typically Scan-Speak - one of the best driver mfgs in the world (in most people's opinions). The Sapphire IIIs are incredibly musical.
    To learn more about ACI, goto www.audioc.com
    I will never own a main speaker (L/R) with a metal dome tweeter. I am 98% a music guy and I have yet to hear a metal dome that I can stand for a long period of time.

12. felix_suwarno

yea, what about ribbon tweeters? hell i dont even know what that is.

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You didn't ask about ribbon [​IMG] ...electrostatic, horn loaded, supertweeter... [​IMG]

14. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

You can always try these speakers. They are the GR Research AV1+'s and they sound wonderful. If you go to Audio Asylum and do a search, you'll see what owners and builders have to say about these awesome speakers.
    ** Also do a search on this forum using the GR Research entry and you should have plenty of information.

15. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

It's even hard to stereotype all metal domes as being bright
    because many design charecteristics change the sound output.

Things like size and shape of the dome and diffusor, grade
    of metal used, the harder the metal the more chance for
    ringing which makes designing the tweeter correctly,critical.

16. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

I like silk domes too, especially with my Yamaha. I also like some of the metalized polymers. Pure metal tweets sound harsh to me with my particular setup. As Brett says though, it really depends on a lot of factors. Some of the best speakers in the world use aluminum and titanuim.

17. Winston_T

Winston_T Agent

felix_suwarno, I suggust you listen to some speakers and then let your ears guide you on the metal vs silk tweeters issue. You've gotten alot of good information, so now it's time to put that into practice. That's the fun part anyways. [​IMG] But like Brett said, a lot of factors play into it. In the Diva's for example, I've read many personal accounts where the tweeters sound very bright at first, but after a significant break in they come into their own. As a comparitive example, a tad less bright then the Paradigm Reference. The figures I've read is the Diva (silk) tweeter is about 3 dB down at 20 kHz, whereas the Paradigm (Alumminum) is about 2 dB down at 20 kHz. (it's the 'net so confirm).
    As far as cost go on metal vs silk, I don't know, I haven't looked into the price of tweeters (ex. for building speakers). I think the overall cost of the speaker and what you get for that cost is really what's important. My _guess_ is that the costs are similar, but design and a lot of other factors probally play into this too.

18. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

19. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Quite a few high-end speaker manufacturers use Dynaudio silk-dome tweeters.
    I happen to also like the Dynaudio silk-dome sound, so I actually own Dynaudio speakers (towers and mini-monitors).
    You might try auditioning their more affordable audience series or the more expensive contour series.
    Dynaudio website