metal speaker stands...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndrewScofield, Mar 12, 2004.

1. AndrewScofield

Hi, I'm soon going to post the link to my website where I will have details on my current speaker project. Its 6 months in the making (ok, I haven't been working on in day & night, but its still been 6 months!) and its a cool concept that so far the results have impressed me. I wanted to make a pair of front speakers that match my favorite subwoofer, BUTT (Big Ugly Tall Thing), as its known around town. Its a 24" sonotube that is about 5' tall with legs. And when I finished the sealing of the end caps I left it that way, and its ugly. Very, very ugly. But I like it. So I'm trying to make a themed home theather set. So obviously I'm trying to build mini-sonotube front speakers. Here is what I am using for speakers:

-AUDAX HP210G0 8" woofer (PE 296-136)
    -VIFA D27TG 1" silk dome tweeter (PE 264-524)

They just seemed nice together to me. So the only thing about these speakers is that I've always like bi-amplified speakers, so I wanted to make these bi-amplified. SO I've got two amps. One for tweeters and one for woofer and as far as crossover goes, I'm using an external, variable crossover. I have it set to about 2K on the crossover between the woofer and the tweeter. My crossover is getting a signal from my amplifer (Pioneer VSX-D812K), using the pre-amp outputs. My speaker stands are made out of STEEL. Yes steel. Its got steel threaded rods and slotted metal framing to put the whole thing together (think erector set)

So now that you know a little of my speaker setup let me ask you about my real problem. The woofer sits in the tube as like any normal sonotube setup. But the tweeter is screwed into a 45-degree L-shape pvc pipe connector. I made a hole and a mount inside the tube to whole it in place so the tweeter is point in the same direction as the woofer. So kinda like the woofer has a little arm sticking out of it.

MY ACTUAL QUESTION:

I am getting at times the high pitch, metalicy echo, reverb thing goin on and it don't sound good. And I needed to know if this has anything to do with my speaker stands being metal?! Or is something else wrong with my setup? Please ask any questions you need to for more info. I need help I'm almost done. Plus give my suggestions. I will try to post a pic soon of them soon. Thanks!!

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I doubt that it's the stand, but you can check by tying a towel around the metal. That will damp the vibration.

3. AndrewScofield

I wasn't so much thinking it was the vibration from the stands as much as the magnets in the speakers getting screwed up from the metal in the stands.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Nope that wouldn't have any inpact on the sonics.

Sounds more like a sonic characteristic of the tweeter, or the associated playback electronics

5. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I agree with Thomas, I doubt it is the stands. A real help when trying to isolate vibrations, be they from the cabinet or from the drivers themselves, is a audio signal generator. If you can easily connect your computer's sound card output to your stereo system, you can try any of the numerous shareware/freeware programs on the net. A frequency sweep, particularly at moderate to loud volume, can really help you isolate problems that you might not hear at all with music, or only infrequently. Here's just one:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/SweepGen/

Good luck, sounds like a unique and interesting project!

Aaron Gilbert