What's new

Metal Music..... (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Always being a fan of metal i decided to try and find some new metal bands(to me at least).

My basis on Metal has always been say... Metallica(Favorite Band), Pantera, Sabbath, Megadeth etce etc....

Recently i have been getting into In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Iced Earth....and have been totally blown away...i didnt know what i was missing.

I just bought the new Killswitch Engage Album last night called "Alive or Just Breathing" and it is amazing.

Anyone else here a Metalhead and have some other recomendations or thoughts on these bands.....or am i all alone...LOL

Thanks
Alan

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Us metalheads' metal threads never go too far. I just picked up the newest Annihilator and it rips. I have also fallen victim to the nu-metal scene. Tons of stuff out there.

Bill cc

Agent
My only metal reccomendations may encite some protests.
These bands aren't the standard "metal", but more of a heavy aural assault..

Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics

Acid King - Busse Woods

Bongzilla - Stash

Sleep - Jerusalem

High On Fire - Art Of Self Defense

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it's any consolation..Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" is one of my favorite albums of all time

Demetri_H

Auditioning
If you ilke In Flames then you should try out bands like Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, and Opeth.
Some more bands that I would recommend are Soilent Green, Uphill Battle, Nile, Lamb of God, Cephalic Carnage, and Shadows Fall. Hope this helps.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Demetri_H - Good taste man! Do you have the 'Exploiting Dysfunction' album by Cephalic Carnage? I can't believe the bass on that album. Talk about earth shattering. I'm hoping the new album is the same. :)
Some of my recommendations:
Children of Bodom
Emperor
Hate Eternal
The Haunted
Tristania
Katatonia
Vehemence
Today is the Day/Mastodon
Decapitated

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what type pf Metal your looking for
2 of my favorite bands from the 90s were Death and Sepultura(avoid the new stuff)
Death was just a fantastic band. Chuck Schuldiner was a amazing guitarist.Sadly he died last year from a brain tumor. This guy always found the most amazing musicians to back him up. Chuck was one of the most amazing guitarists Ive ever heard-he had so much talent.
As far as Sepultura goes check out Beneath The Remains, Arise(Rules!!!),Chaos AD and Roots.
Obituary
Machine Head (The first 2 albums)
Vision of Disorder (Imprint,For The Bleeders - not really metal,more harcore I guess, but theyre excellent albums)
Sacred Reigh -Ignorance(I really love this record) and American Way is ok, avoid everything else
Nuclear Assault
SOD
Slayer (I stopped listening to them when they fired Lombardo)
Kreator
Motorhead (Had a huge influence on Metallica)
Exodus
I also have to mention a few bands I really have a soft spot for:
Voivod -(Jason Newstead is going to be playing bass on their next album)This band is definitely a acquired taste. I think theyre brilliant. Try to find Nothingface(along with Master Of Puppets, one of the 80s most perfect albums)Dimention Hatross and Killing Technology.
Overkill - I recently got the latest, Bloodletting and was really suprised. A decade after most other bands who played this type of music have died, theyre still out there - bless em!! Try out Horrorscope, Years of Decay and Bloodletting.
Ive become so disgusted with the music scene the past 7 years(I DISPISE these "NuMetal" bands) or so I started looking for alot of different stuff, and Ive discovered some really amazing bands like NoFX, Against All Authority but they wouldnt be considered Metal.
Its early in the morning and Im having trouble using my brain, so this was the best I could do :)
A site you may want to check out is Satan Stole My Teddybear which has hundreds of reviews. Ive bought or recorded lots of stuff thanks to their reviews.
http://www.chedsey.com/

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I'll have to second Demetri on ARCH ENEMY ...

Amazing band that I just recently discovered myself. Their latest release "Wages of Sin" has a female singer. Damned if I could tell by listening to it.

The best bands nowadays seem to be coming out of Sweden and Norway.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It really depends on how you define "metal." There is very little from the past decade that I could highly recommend since I'm not a fan of growling. My taste leans towards old school and NWOBHM with bands like Angelwitch (debut), Motorhead (up to Iron Fist), Priest (up to Screaming for Vengeance), Saxon, Scorpions (up to Blackout), Sabbath, Mercyful Fate (first two albums)...

I would also suggest Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Captain Beyond, UFO, and dozens more for great hard rock/early metal.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Dude, Vince is so metal! Anyways, I was just wondering what exactly do you do with them? Produce etc...?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Ironically, I'm not at all metal! However- lately I've been getting a reputation in the indie metal scene as a "go to guy" when it comes to decent recording on mediocre budgets.

For the band KALIGO I essentially fell ass backwards into recording (serving as both engineer and producer) for a demo session of 6 songs. Of course, their budget for this demo was under $800 so the results are pretty middle of the road. In addition- I was called originally to deliver some tape machines- and ended up taking over the negineer and producer job after they were unhappy with the current results-- so I walked into a session where I had not picked any of the gear or the rooms and had to kinda wing it with a band I had never heard before (which is not my regular process- I usually spend oodles of time in preproduction).

The links above, the song UNIMPORTANT was tracked by me- and this version is actually a remix version (with drum triggers blended with the analog drum tracks and other misc whatnot added) done by a friend of mine in LA. The song BITTER was done more recently in a local studio produced by a guy from the band "Acid Bath".

For the band PANKRATION, I recently helped them self-engineer some demos (the links above) with the plan to go into a full preproduction for a full album project done on a decent budget. They seemed interested in my ideas on how to direct their new material (I have known some of the guys in this band for over 10 years). I haven't heard anything on the project in a few months-- so I'm not sure if they are still interested in my services...

I really think both these bands are GREAT. Kaligo in that newer metal hardcore sort of way--- PANKRATION in the european goth metal sort of way. But, I persoanlly am not too much of a metal listener, so I have no idea how these bands would go over with the average metal audience.

Heck, if any of you metal guys get a chance to check out those MP3s (the links I posted above), I'd be curious to hear comments from regular metal listeners (and I have additional tracks available if anyone finds themselves enjoying either band).

-Vince

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Any of you here into Black Metal underground such as Vlad Tepes, Mutiilation, Burzum, Darkthrone......???

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Any of you here into Black Metal underground such as Vlad Tepes, Mutiilation, Burzum, Darkthrone......???
I've always wanted to get into that stuff, but never really had the chance. Some of those musicians are supposed to be phenomenal, particularly from Northern Europe.

Is "Black Metal" with the deep growling type of "singing?" While I like a couple of bands that do that, I haven't developed the taste for it.

Reference point (metal I like): 80s stuff like Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Ozzy / Sabbath, Pantera, Death. Some "progressive" bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Spiral Architect.

NP: Todd Rundgren, A Wizard, A True Star

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
What band(s) do you consider to be NuMetal?
I love metal....I like the whole gamet...from motley crue (are they considered metal :D ) to embryonic death, slayer, metallica (old), sepultera (old), obiturary, six feet under, fear factory(fav band!), megadeth, korn, death, suffication, immulation, morbid angle, carcass, cannibal corpse (w/chris barnes), soil (NuMetal?? or just rock and roll ha!) pantera, system of a down, disturbeded(sp?) kiss, linkin park, entombed, doom, COC, mushroomhead, slipknot, the third and the mortal, dead can dance (some of the music), to lots of classical music! just to name a few.......

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you want to know where black metal came from, look no further than Venom or Mercyful Fate. Venom took what Motorhead was doing in terms of speed and turned it into a satanic themed and more brutal direction. Still the best black metal band IMO. Fate were/are classy, with tight harmony guitars and some great drumming on their earliest work. King Diamond got a bit too into the falsetto thing for my liking later on, but if you ever hear the early demos, especially the precursor Brats tapes, that is some pretty cool music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks