Metal grilles and ports.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well, I'm gonna order the stuff for a 2nd and identical 3rd sub today. One for a friend and one for my parents. Gonna be a Dayton 12" DVC in a 122.5L enclosure tuned to 20hz with a full length FP4 port kit powered by the 160W PE plate amp modded to 1dB boost at 25hz.
    I'm gonna use the remaining 6' of 18" sonotube I have left from building mine. So for 122.5L, they are going to be around 38-39" tall with base plate and legs. The port is going to be centered on the top endcap and as such in prime position for something to fall into it. So I plan on covering it with a metal mesh grille.
    Question is, will there be any real difference bewteen the sizes? I was thinking of this 8" one:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=5755&CATID=48
    Will there be any significant air flow difference between the 8" and the 10" or 12" equivalent?

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Dustin,

That's the grill I have for my 4" flared port. I haven't finished the sonosub yet but I'm assuming the grill will not be a problem. It doesn't seem to restrict air flow. I tested it by blowing into the grill and feeling the air on the other side. Hopefully it will be OK. BTW, the flare opening fits near perfectly in the grill. I'm also going to flush mount the top of the grill so it should look nice(Hopefully).

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    My email is not cooperating today so I thought I'd post this here. I have a question for you concerning the AV1 crossovers. On the bypass caps there is a black dot on one end. Is this a marking showing that it's a polarized cap and that this is the negative lead?
    If you want you can respond to this address: [email protected]
    Dustin,
    Sorry for derailing your thread!
    Brian

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

I'm pretty sure the bypass caps are non-polarized. I had no black dot's on my caps to my knowledge. Better shoot an email to Danny just to be sure but I'm pretty sure they are non-directional.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

No other opinions. I've placed the order and asked Kyle. He didn't think it would matter. I guess I still have a day or two to change my mind if one of you can convince me a 10 or 12 inch mesh grille will be significantly better than an 8" one.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Don't be using polarized caps, stick with non-polarized caps for XOs.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Thanks Patrick. I'm gonna be having a friend who knows what he is doing soldering change out the resistors. But the friend doesn't know audio electronics.

Is there anything else I should know before I go looking for the replacement resistors?

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Dustin,

To my knowledge the grills are no different except the size, this being the case, the air flow will be exactly the same, so choose whichever one you think will look the nicest and fit the best on the port flare.

9. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

Are there any reasons NOT to flush mount a grill? Would there ever be a need to take it off in the future?

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Tom,

None that I can think of unless you need to get into the sub to work on it but that would only be temporary. Flush mount looks so much nicer than surface mounting.