What's new

Metal Gear Solid 3 is Xbox exclusive? (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard that MGS3 is exclusive to Xbox, or has an exculsivity window?

From computersandvideogames.com:

METAL GEAR SOLID 3 XBOX "EXCLUSIVE"?

Clearly no-one is safe from Big Bill's cash as sources suggest Microsoft's console will be the first to receive the next version in Kojima's massive stealth franchise

14:34 The next title in Konami's Metal Gear Solid action series has been snagged by Microsoft for an undisclosed period of Xbox exclusivity, sources have suggested. Though this would mean the title would still appear on other formats, Xbox would host the title exclusively for a period of time.

Highly placed insiders have stated that Microsoft originally tried to gain the title for Xbox outright, but when the deal fell through, Microsoft apparently splashed out enough cash to ensure it still appears on Xbox first.

This report follows hot on the heels of Microsoft's acquisition of UK developer Rare, and rumours that it is looking into purchasing Capcom, with Bill Gates's company clearly intent on going to extraordinary lengths to ensure Xbox is a success.

A spokesperson for Konami of Europe issued a terse "no comment," when questioned on the matter earlier today. We'll keep you posted on all developments.
--end quote

This site tends to be hit and miss, rumor-wise. Can anybody confirm?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Well, now that MGS Substance is on it's way to the Xbox, I'd not rule it out completely.

still, it would be strange for Konami to give up ALL the money they'd make on a new PS2 version, especially in Japan. I don't know about the profitability of the franchise for them, but I'd assume it'd cost MS a LOT of money.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Doesnt surprise me if its true but it's not an exclusive as such, just has a few months before it can be released on other platforms just like Dead to Rights.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
I know Metal Gear Solid Substance will be released on the Xbox in November of this year and on the PC and PS2 sometime in the beginning of 2003. I wonder if that is what the article is referring to or if there is a new Metal Gear Solid in the works at this time?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
But it's alright when Sony do it?
It definitely doesn't bother me as much, no. I can't recall Sony doing this all that often, anyway. That may be because they don't have to as a result of their massive user base, but it just seems that it's Microsoft always pulling this kind of thing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, he hates it, so it's not all right. It's just Microsoft's Microsoft-ness that makes it worse. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft is a massive company, as is Sony. Both are out for world domination...it just seems that Sony wants to change the rules for consoles(see PS3 rumors) while microsoft wants to follow the old model. Frankly, I love all systems, but Sony seems too arrogant to me. I kinda want them taken down a notch or two. I like it more when the consoles are on a level playing field, that way all companies try harder. Remember the Genesis/SNES days?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Sean, I totally agree with you, but seeing Microsoft as an underdog is just, well, icky.

Let me post a disclaimer: I really dislike Microsoft. I don't just dislike the company, but I loathe their products. I still believe Windows is a Mac OS hack and will never be as good of an OS. I make it a point to not run any Microsoft software on my computer. I also believe the Xbox is a cheap PC that connects to your TV, and the games play like PC games, and I just don't like that "feel." I also don't think Microsoft knows what they're doing as far as console gaming goes.

I whined my way to the store and bought an Xbox last year, so don't get me wrong - I love console gaming, and I'm all about the games (I had to play Halo and I thought I had to play Abe's Oddyssey), but MS just rubs me the wrong way and I think they're pretty shady from a business standpoint. I know that this is all pretty illogical, but that's just how I am. I don't like the company, and I watched them screw Apple (and, in my opinion, the entire PC industry) years ago, and I'd hate to see them do the same thing to the console industry.

But that's neither here nor there. What's important here is that they may have dumped enough cash on Kojima & co. to get MGS3 exclusive to Xbox for a few months. This may have been a bigger deal if MGS2 wasn't so disappointing (I personally won't be holding my breath for the next MGS this time around), but it's still a pretty major title news item.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
So if Splinter Cell was Xbox's "MGS killer," and MGS is now on Xbox, is this like a weird videogame suicide?

I still believe Windows is a Mac OS hack and will never be as good of an OS.
This is just a fact of life in the PC industry. What I never understand when people mention people how Microsoft stole from Apple they fail to mention that Apple had stolen it from Xerox in the first place. If Xerox had taken action on a fraction of the products that were developed by their PARC lab, the computer landscape might be a vastly different place today. I will admit that Microsoft has seemed to have perfected the technique over the years, but Apple was not exactly the poor innocent company people make them out to be.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Konami said they're going to start making MGS games so that a new MGS game comes out every other year and a spinoff game (like Substance or VR Missions) comes out in the inbetween years. If anything, MGS3 will come out for X-Box then a Special Edition will come out on the GameCube or they're making MGS1 with MGS2's engine for X-Box and they think that's going to be MGS3.

Either way, I doubt it's 100% exclusive if it even is true.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but check out this excerpt from Magic Box
Link Removed
- Konami has removed Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty from their Xbox Japanese release list, Konami mentioned that if the hardware installed base for Xbox achieved a certain level, they will continue to publish game titles for the platform. Right now Konami will continue to publish Xbox game titles in North America and Europe.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
that seems reasonable. MS's poor performance in Japan is the reason I think we'll see them buy a Japanese developer in the next months. It would be a good move for them to do so, else they are in even worse trouble in Japan (eg more publishers will stop releasing games in Japan for the Xbox as the installed base will be too small.)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I can see a point to a userbase not being big enough but you could also look at it like this... arent exclusive games enough to sometimes incrase a userbase? I would think it would be seeing as some companies try to get gmes to be released only for their system (tomb raider..like it or not it will sell...for example..final fantasy is another) so i suppose it could be a possibility microsoft could have this to help incrasee their install base. thoughts?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Andrew: It definitely would help MS if they had some games in Japan that the public had to have. Problem is that they pretty much all already have PS2s, Gamecubes, and Gameboys. As such, the gaming companies want to make money by releasing their games on the popular consoles. As of now, the Xbox is pretty much irrelevant there, and to ask a Japanese developer to put out a game exclusivley on Xbox would take a LOT of cash.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Its a horrible catch 22. Developers won't commit to releasing games for the console unless the userbase is there. And the console maker can't increase its userbase without games!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks