What's new

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Maybe never...or so the story goes.
FGN online is reporting that the game may never come out in the US or just be seriously delayed!
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well FGN online is stupid cause its coming out November 13 in America, two months before it comes out in Japan.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
From Konami:
We do not know what effects there will be upon Metal Gear Solid 2 at this moment. We are currently collecting and analyzing information regarding this matter and would like to express our condolences to the victims of the tragedy."
At this point in time, noone really knows for sure.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Well FGN online is stupid cause its coming out November 13 in America, two months before it comes out in Japan.

Uhh. do you watch the news? Every freaking media company (game, TV, movie) is re-assessing their future line ups - some TV pilots set to air in a week may be completely pulled! - due to the events of this week.
And yes, even some like MGS 2 which may be the 'killer app' for PS2 (for some, not me though) may get canned completely.
MGS2 deals w/ terrorists & some parts in NYC IIRC. That's the definition of 'bad taste' to many at this point in time. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see it here - or just not this year.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That's a bit too much sensitivity, IMO.
We're all appalled by Tuesday's attacks but I'm an adult and I can separate the horrors of reality from a piece of interactive fiction. As a matter of fact, it might be mildly therapeutic to escape from reality after this insane week.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering that Metal Gear Solid 2 is about semi-supernatural terrorists with nuke-armed giant robots that you are trying to prevent from wreaking havoc on the planet as a service to the public and takes place in the future, I doubt it will be a big deal. Also, the game doesn't come out until November (unless its delayed) so I really doubt any change in the release.
Many movie and TV companies are changing immediate plans. If a channel wants to do complete coverage for a whole day, of course a show will be delayed. A delay like that can't be compared to a delay of a videogame that comes out in 2 months. The only people who will see the game as being similar to the WTC thing will be the naive people who don't even know anything about the game besides it involving New York City and terrorists.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I think some of you might be surprised how much of an effect this will have. Publishers & retailers will both be very sensitive about this. If you read the FGN story, for example, you'll see they're thinking about changes to Project Gotham just because the WTC is in the background. It's only a driving game!
MGS 2 involves terrorism and New York City (& Manhattan specifically from what I've heard). Even though you play the "good guy" in the game, there's no way in hell this game will release on schedule here in 2 months, IMO. I could be wrong, though!
-Dan
[Edited last by Dan B on September 14, 2001 at 08:24 PM]

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I hope they don't delay Metal Gear Solid 2, I am very much looking forward to the game. In the end though, I can understand if they do. I seriously doubt Konami will be canning this title though. That would be an insane loss of money for them. A loss I personally dont think they are willing to take. Delaying it would probably be the most prudent thing to do at this point.
I think things are going a little overboard right now. What is so tasteless about having the WTC in the background of a game? I dont find anything offensive about that. In fact I would find it refreshing that we can honor the twin towers as the monuments that they were, not just in a game but in all forms of entertainment and art. We can't just act like they were never there people!
I am very sensitive to what is going on in New York, and my heart goes out to all those who lost their loved ones on that terrible day but everything that is being done by hollywood and the entertainment community is giving the terrorists exactly what they wanted. They are changing the way that we live! There are definitely more important things to worry about right now than a miscellaneous video game or a delayed movie or whether or not we'll be able to watch the pilot to a new show next week... I just think Hollywood and all entertainment industries need to re-evaluate some of the things that they are doing because allot of this simple entetainment is a big part of allot of our lives (or else there wouldn't be boards like this one :))
Ill quit rambling now and I hope I was able to get my message through all that mess I just wrote :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I will say first that I feel deeply for the people who were killed in the incidents in New York City or relatives or friends of the people who were killed. I personally know many people who knew people who were in the buildings or the area at the time of the attack and were lost.
I agree that we shouldn't change our whole lives because of this event, but rather should take notice, do something about it, and then continue to live with what happened in mind. I'm not saying we shouldn't mourn the deaths of those people, but we shouldn't stop living forever because of it. We need to heal and then get ourselves together.
If Konami delays MGS2, I understand why, and I would accept it. I hope they don't need to.
In case you don't know much about Metal Gear Solid 2, let me explain:
(This is some background leading to MGS2. Some info is not included)
There was a guy named Big Boss. He was a war hero. When he died, there were 8 clones made of him, 3 of which survived to become adults. There codenames from the government are Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, and Solidus. Solidus is the current president of the USA (this game takes place in the near future). Liquid Snake was killed at the end of Metal Gear Solid (he tried to use nuclear weaponry to terrorize the US, but was stopped by his clone brother Solid Snake). Solid Snake, after the events of MGS, joined a new friend of his (whom he met during MGS) and started a group called Sons of Liberty. The point of their group is to stop the creation of Metal Gears, giant nuclear armed robots of mass destruction.
In MGS2, you play Solid Snake as he tries to keep a terrorist group (led by an ex-member of the terrorist group from MGS) who is working with Russian terrorists from using a new type of Metal Gear to terrorize the US. The game takes place partially in New York, but from what is known so far, it takes place on the boat that is carrying the new Metal Gear (codenamed Ray). You, along with the help of your friend, try to fight the terrorists (some have special superhuman powers or strange anomelous abilities) and destroy the Metal Gear. The game is supposed to take place on the boat and in NYC, but not much is known about the NYC portions of the game.
So as you see, its a little more than terrorists in NYC. I'm not sure if there is any specific reason why it takes place there, but then again, there probably wasn't any specific reason why MGS took place in Alaska other than that was where they chose.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I am very sensitive to what is going on in New York, and my heart goes out to all those who lost their loved ones on that terrible day but everything that is being done by hollywood and the entertainment community is giving the terrorists exactly what they wanted. They are changing the way that we live! There are definitely more important things to worry about right now than a miscellaneous video game or a delayed movie or whether or not we'll be able to watch the pilot to a new show next week... I just think Hollywood and all entertainment industries need to re-evaluate some of the things that they are doing because allot of this simple entetainment is a big part of allot of our lives (or else there wouldn't be boards like this one )
Well said. I totally agree.
The company I work for had a fantastic television commercial planned for the 4th quarter. It was one of those ads that people would actually enjoy watching. Well, it had images of the NY skyline so they decided to totally axe the ad.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am very sympathetic to the tragedy that has befallen my fellow Americans. It's been a weird week emotionally for me, and that's certainly an understatement.
BUT...now is also NOT the time to go completely overboard in everything we do in so far as not even muttering the words "trade towers". Having them in a background of a driving game is rather harmless, don't you agree?
Perhaps delaying MGS2 won't be so bad but, I certainly cannot understand any reason to completely remove it from US soil. Can anyone?
If anyone feels that the game should be banned, I'd love to hear why. I can't understand that.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
The whole WTC situation was quite tragic. There is no other way to state it.
The postponment of material of violent nature that involves New York City is understandable if it was scheduled to air on television. I don't think anyone would appreciate ID4 or Die Hard when they are channel surfing looking for something to take their mind off things. Or even when they are flipping through stations looking for more news on the situation. That would be in bad taste.
Now, that said, this is what I think:
If we are talking about video games and movies (in theaters) then it's different. These are forms of entertainment that you choose to experience. They are not free (I know we pay for cable/satellite dish but you get my point) so is not like I am bumping into it like material on TV. If I want to buy MGS2 and deal with terrorists as a form of fictional entertainment then that's my choice. If I want to see Spider-Man in theaters and so it happens that there is a shot of the twin towers in the movie then that's my choice to see it. It doesn't make me a bad person if I want to do that.
I think is time for people to stop trying to erase things as if they never happened. Deal with REAL things head on and be strong. Stop taking it out on FICTIONAL things. There is a thin line between being politically correct and censoring things. If the terrorist change our way of life then they already won. Our society does use violence as a form of entertainment. From watching Football/sports to movies to video games. That's nothing new. It's been like that for quite a while. I find it hypocritical to be ashamed of it now.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
You know, we may as well put on a dress and watch Teletubbies with all the 2 years olds. This censorship is complete crap.
MGS2 will not be delayed because by the time November hits time will allow itself to somewhat heal and desensitize these freaks who now want everything to smell nice and flowery. Delaying MGS2 will kill the PS2 because 2 new gaming systems are coming out in November. MGS2 is the reason lots of people have been waiting to buy a PS2. If it doesn't get released Nintendo will take them and PS2 is dead. Also, Konami has put lots of man hours into the development of this game and they want to reap the benefits of it as I know they will and deserve to.
I'm well aware of the recent tragedies and like every other american I sympathize with loss of life. But do not take away our freedoms by dictating what we should and should not see. Let us as grown ups decide for ourselves.

Andre F

Screenwriter
It's hard to argue against the reasons listed here. I have been feeling very emotional about the this whole terrorist situation this past week. I guess it's just so close to home thus, I'm not able to desensitize myself from the events like so many others in recent history. I realize some companies want to avoid criticism about content in games but I really hope they go forward with the current release schedule of MGS2. In my opinion, if we change our lives and/or lifestyles then the terrorists have won. That is something I don't intend to let them do.
-Andre F
God Bless America
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Peter_A

Second Unit
If all this censorship or over-reacting does indead come to pass, haven't those terrorists that attacked the WTC succeded in one form or another?
------------------
Peter
"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

JasonK

Supporting Actor
My sentiments exactly, fellas. I'm still feeling sucker punched from this week's tragedies and my heart goes out to all involved. But cancelling MGS2 will not undo what was done. As an adult, I like to think I'm fully capable of understanding how to seperate a fictional game from reality. It may seem petty that we care about games in a time like this, but videogames, movies, music, are part of our way of life. I don't want that to change because of the acts of a few terrorists.
Jason
-Oh and does anyone have ANY idea about what kind of $$$ Konami would lose if they shelved this? I know it would be millions, but would Konami be on shaky ground? I'd hate to see them risk going belly-up, costing people jobs, etc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I feel censoring our entertainment, be it by delaying the product or alteration is just silly. People need to seperate fantasy and reality. Who knows if we'll ever get Propeller Arena now.
On a happier note, a bit of trivia abotu MGS:
The character Otacon is actually named after a convention I help staff, and MGS2 features our copyright on the title screen :)
for those interested: http://www.otakon.com
Jeff Kleist

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Konami is releasing MGS2 in America first, so cancelling the game for release in the territory that they have said will probably bring more profits from the game would be stupid. It will most likely come out as scheduled.
In MGS, Otacon flat out says that he got into his job because he likes anime and videogames so much (he works on nuclear weapons and computer programs that deal with nuclear weapons). He even says that his name is based on Otakon. I think its kinda cool knowing someone related to a group who is recognized by Hideo Kojima in such a way. I feel warm and fuzzy.
Anyway, MGS2 is not really about things in New York City. The game takes place on a boat that just so happens to be in a river that is near NYC. The WTC isn't even involved with the game (as far as I know). I strongly suggest people play the MGS2 demo (if you can get it without getting Zone of the Enders, unless you want ZOE) so you can see how the focus of the game is not about NYC or terrorist attacks in NYC. I think the final version of the game will have some big destruction in NYC, but I'm not sure. Not much is known about the game since it "submerged."

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, The first part of Metal Gear Solid is set on a boat but you will eventually get to New York and the game is supposed to feature a finale on the statue of liberty.
The Demo includes the first part of the game but that ship sinks eventually when Metal Gear Ray goes ballistic. That is why I think Konami is rethinking the release. I honestly dont thinkthis delay will come to pass. Too much money to be lost and it will hurt the PS2 in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks