Messed up my Win2K login, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

I have two computers, my desktop and my work laptop. I got a Belkin router for Christmas, so I decided to try to hoop the laptop up to it to be able to share files between the two pc's. I was able to use the internet on both PC's, but unable to share files or even connect between the two. Tried pinging the other pc, it would just time out.

Stupid me, I figured it might be because my work laptop was tied to the work domain, whereas my home pc is just a member of "workgroup". In a flash of brilliance, I decided to change the network settings on the laptop from being part of a domain to being on a workgroup (titled, oddly enough, "WORKGROUP"). It prompted me to reboot, I did, and now I'm screwed. It looks as though it's disabled my logon for the laptop, it's taken away the dropdown that lets you choose where you want to logon to, and it won't recognize any logon attempts.

HELP! Is there any way that I could create an account on the home pc that would allow me to logon to the laptop? I would just call the helpdesk for work but it's a Saturday... and besides the phone number is stored on the laptop, which I can't get to...

I thought I was reasonably equipped to handle this, but I was obviously overestimating my abilities....

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and both systems are running Win2K Pro.

-Brett.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

try logging on with this:
    username: administrator
    password:

when you log onto a domain, you use the domains list of usernames and passwords, while logging on locally (just ontoyour own computer) will use the computers internal list of users. If you did set a password for the administrator account when you installed windows than use that, otherwise leaving the password field could work.

please reply with results!

3. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work. I don't even get the dropdown list of where I want to log onto, so I'm not able to choose between logging on locally vs logging onto the domain or workgroup.

Unfortunately, I'm not the one who installed the OS... that was done by the company's IT dept. I'm beginning to think I'm SOL until I go back to work.

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
    -Brett.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

yeah there shouldn't be a drop down list, because when you changed off the domain to the workgroup the computer will only log in locally, so there's no choice to be made. since the comp is logging on locally you can try any user/pass that you would normally use when you selected logg on locally when you had the drop down box, something there might work.

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Rob,

There's the problem: I tried my LAN ID now, but it's not working. I don't know of any other logons that are present locally...

Looks like I'll have to wait until I head back to work to get it running again.

Thanks for the help,
    -Brett.

6. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

7. TerryS

TerryS Agent

I would assume this being a work laptop that your IT department changed the local administrator password. You will need to contact your IT department to get your laptop re-added to the domain, which will require a domain administrator account also. Even if you were able to figure out the local administrator password, you won't be able to add yourself back to the domain without the IT depts. help, unless for some reason you are a domain admin as well.

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

John Chow:

BINGO! That did the trick... for now. I'm now able to log in locally using the admin account, from there I was able to create a local account for myself. I'm not able to get back on the domain as I'm not hooked in to the corporate network now (and my VPN connection seems to be on the fritz) but for now it's working!

Hopefully when I get back to work I can have one of the admin guys get me back on the network without too much embarrassment!

Thanks again,
    -Brett.