What's new

Merlot, Monterey Jack and Apples (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
An old girlfriend of mind, a very refined lady whom I deeply respect, treated me to particular snack years ago. It consisted of red wine, sliced apples pieces and white cheese(I prefer Monterey Jack) on the apple slices. My friends you may never have a more tasteful, purely divine experience as this when it comes to food. Try it sometime.

Listening to some beautiful classical music while drinking and eating also compliments the moment superbly. I highly recommend it. :)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
C'est Magnifique! (Or something to that effect). Cheese, fresh fruit and wine can be terrific. (Skip the Velvetta though). :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Try this, pear slices, English stilton and a good old vintage port. Don't skimp on the port, get a good one.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I still have a couple of cases of ‘63 Dow and a few odd bottles around (a bit younger, perhaps no more than 20 years old) of Taylor’s and Graham’s. Would you call this skimping? :D

Buying this at retail prices today, is a bit dear.

My wife and I decanted a bottle of ’66 Dow over the holidays and I can tell you that it was magnificent. And 1966, while very good, was not so fine as ’63.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
A nice New York Aged Cheddar with pears and a pear Champagne....... Oh my.........YUMMY.

Or Velvetta with Tostitos and a Bud Light....... can i get a YEEHAH :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

I will say that they cost the princely sum of $6.50/bottle when purchased. If only all of my investments had appreciated in this fashion. ;)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm partial to cheddar cheese with granny smith apples. Quite delicious. I also find that cheddar goes well with cashews.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Cheese, apples and a glass or two of wine was Lord Laurence Olivier's unvarying lunch for many years. I've known actors who tried it hoping that some of his talent would rub off. :)

"Cheese that is required by law to append the word 'food' to its name does not go well with red wine or fruit." --- Fran Leibowitz

:)

Joe

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
My father used to eat cheese slices with his apple pie, now I see where he got it from.

Too bad I didn't inherit his finesse...

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

You dissin' the Jack, Andrew? ;) I'm sure in Wales there are much better cheeses. Still, the taste of Jack with apples and red wine is good for me. I tried goat cheese with apples and it just didn't work. That stuff is like soap. Blah.

Btw I just realized I wrote "An old girlfriend of mind". I swear she was real, folks. I didn't make her up I promise! She's real. She is real.

*keeps telling himself she was real

I love you, Sarah! :b

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yep. ;)

Sorry, but you know how you guys always smile ruefully whenever a Brit mentions things like barbeques or burgers? Well, we do the same thing whenever Americans mention tea or cheese.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Lipton Instant Tea - over ice with about 10 tablespoons of sugar is the only way to truly appreciate the wonderment of tea !

Add a little Velveeeeeeta on the side and I'm as sufistikated as they come....

Cheerio !

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I could go on and on about Italian cheeses paired with frutta and vino (and nuts; walnuts usually), but won't.

Suffice it to say that if your experience with Italian cheese is limited to Polly-o ricotta, Kraft Parmesan (in the green can) and the stuff that passes for mozzarella that Pizza Hut sprays onto their pies, then you're missing out on a lot.

A wedge of parmigiano reggiano has the proper bite to complement a plate of grapes and apples, all washed down with Assisi DOC Bianco.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Angelo, I agree with you. However, how would you serve the parmesan - crumbled, shaved in thin wafers, or as a wedge? I personally prefer the thin shavings.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I agree with both you and Andrew, Angelo. Many here in the U.S. don’t appreciate that the real thing is an outstanding cheese on the sideboard. I avoid like the plague that stuff in the green, cylindrical cans (which is why I specify Parmigiano Reggiano in my recipe postings :)).

BTW Andrew, my wife and I normally have a bit of sage Derby around the holidays, though I can no longer remember who introduced us to that custom. Last night I had a bit of farmhouse Cheshire and some stilton along with a glass of a modest red before retiring. We are not all cheese challenged. ;) I’m partial to a wheatmeal cracker (biscuit) with stilton.

Users who are viewing this thread