Merle band clamps on sale!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I just thought I'd let everyone know that MLCS Woodworking has the Merle Band Clamps on sale! They are regularly $39.95 each but are on sale now for $26.95 each or $49.00 for two. So of course I ordered 4!
    If they're as great as everyone here says, I figure they'd be worth the money!
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../merlclmp.html
    Brian
    ------------------

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Brian,
    Thanks for the info on the clamps! I am going to get them now! [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Go for 'em, guys! I've used them for 7 bookshelf, 2 tower and 1 subwoofer cabinets and they work well for holding your cabinets square while the glue dries.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Pat,
    When I got home yesterday I had a message from them saying that they couldn't ship my order until they heard back from me. Naturally, they're only open 8:30am to 5:00pm. So I called them this morning and all they wanted was to make sure that I really wanted two of the two packs (or 4 total) and not just one!
    So far it seems they have good customer service. I hope they're here by the end of the week!
    Brian
    P.S. Go for it, Pat! It's only money! [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Hank Frankenberg

Right, you can't take it with you. Money, that is, but I believe we'll be allowed to take all the HT gear that we have D-I-Y'd [​IMG]
    Hal, open the pod bay doors!
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on July 10, 2001 at 01:12 PM]

7. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

Damn. I just bought 4 of these in May for full price over at MLCS.

8. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

Yup, I bought a pair of them on Hank's advice last time they were on sale. The first time I used them I was all thumbs, but by the second time I had a much better plan, and glueing an entire cabinet in one shot was a 10 minute job. Thanks for the tip, Hank. I wouldn't want to build cabinets without 'em!
    ------------------
    STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

9. Hank Frankenberg

You're welcome, Bob. They do have a fumble factor when you open them up first time, but they do really help keep cabinets square while the glue dries. As I've said in several different posts, I never use screws. Plenty of carpenter's glue on good right-angle saw cuts provides all the joint strength needed, and these clamps apply plenty of pressure. The only other item I would use for large cabinets is a pneumatic brad nailer to hold joints together - that would avoid investing in several clamps, plus the nailer has other uses.
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on July 11, 2001 at 06:48 AM]

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Well, I received my order from MLCS on Friday and used the clamps for the first time this afternoon. I used them to build a small enclosure to house my two plate amps that will be powering my SV12 subwoofers.
    I found the easiest way to use the clamps was to pull a good bit of the metal band out and place the adjustable corner pieces roughly where you need them. Then I put wood glue on the ends of the two internal boards. I then put the other two sides in place and moved the corner pieces in the appropriate places. Then pull out the slack from the metal band and tighten up the clamp.
    I used a second clamp to help better align the enclosure. Worked like a charm!
    Brian
    ------------------