What's new

Meridian vs Parasound vs Bryston vs.... Outlaw ? Help (1 Viewer)

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I was all set to pick up a used outlaw 750.. When I opened my big mouth and started talking to a guy i'm working with in home theater construction... He can get me Parasound, Bryston at cost.. and a few minutes later he said he is selling his own personal Meridian 5x200 wpc amp..... (think its 800 series, Glossy front rounded corners) I laughed and jokingly said well if its under$10 grand... he said $5200 Canadian... I said to me self !!!

Now what should I do, totally forget about the meridian and get a parasound or Bryston and spend my money in smart ways or get the meridian and never worry about Power again?

Keep in mind I just went from $1100 for a outlaw to $5000 for a Meridian. But that's just a stupid good deal I think.. For that amp.. Hell I could even sell it for more..?

OR maybe I just need a smack up side the head because I've lost my mind?

Any advice or direction would really help a lot. Thanks :)

Eric A

Second Unit
Cameron,
I have an opinion to offer. I love Meridian gear and used to sell it. It is by far some of the best gear in the world....period! The synergy of a complete Meridian system is in the "untouchable" class. Having said all that, I really think it would be foolish to spend that kind of money on that amp when you can spend it in areas that you will see much more overall benefit. What I am going to say may ruffle some feathers but the difference in high quality amplification in this day and age is very small. Now I am not about to say that the Outlaw is even close to the Meridian but you will notice a much bigger difference in spending $1100 on the Outlaw and investing the other $3900 in a great front end and speakers than you ever would in the 2 amps. Still if it were me, I would be all over Audiogon looking for some used amps that will even be better than the Outlaw at 1/2 or 3/4 that price and have even more for the front end. Just my thoughts and personal experience.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
good point.

I guess when some one says to you Thats costs $11,000 and I'll give it you you for $5000, You imeidiate reaction is OK..

David-TF

Agent
What model Bryston and parasound? Brystons are awesome amps and at cost they will sound even sweeter.You need at least 100 watts more power to make a audible difference so unless the Bryston is under 100 watts per channel power should not be a factor, Besides Bryston amps have plenty of reserve to drive any speaker load. I would go with the Bryston (not a parasound fan) and use the left over change for something else. Just my $0.02c

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure for models.. Looking for a 5ch amp with 160-200Wpc?

the outlaw is 165 and I borrowed a Anthem AVM 50 that was 185wpc I think. Sounded good

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
David,

May I ask why you are not a Parasound fan? (Just curious).

I can't vouch for Parasounds normal line of product but the
Halo is spectacular and compares favorably with Bryston,
Aragon from what I have read.

I can't vouch for thier processing since I don't own an AVP
from Parasound but the PreAmp is spectacular and I am sure
that thier John Curl designed amps are also.

I don't think you can honestly go wrong with any of the
afformentioned companies. They all have great build quality
and support.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
ok then as I am not back down to earth (thanks) Im looking at the Rotel RMB-1095 and the Parasound HCA-2205AT. maybe outlaw aswell..

but I can get parasound and rotel at Cost

gregD

Second Unit

There ya go... can't go wrong with either of those two.

Spend your money on speakers... that's where the sonic differences are noticable, and the comparisons are fun.

Welcome back to earth.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
honestly I wouild wih no problem. IF it was my JOB .. but its only Co-op and he asks whos the stuff for. I think he would wonder if I said I need to rotel 5ch amps :)

DanaA

Screenwriter
As they say, neither the Rotel or Parasound are chopped liver...well, maybe they don't say it, but I will. Both are excellent amps from good companies. Either one should make you very happy.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with 'spend your money on speakers'... that's where the most noticeable differnce will be.

The rest I am buying used on Audiogon - bought a Bryston 4B-ST and about to buy a Classe SSP50 pre-pro. Both are around the $2k Cdn range used. My speakers cost considerably more than the rest of the equipment (excluding the TV).

Now if you can really get Bryston at cost then I think it would be the best value for you, I don't think you can beat the quaity per $, especially used, and buying at cost would be similar.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
David,

Sorry to hear that.. Yeah I can understand how back luck
with a product can disuade you from future purchases of
product from that manufacturer. But if the company steps up
to the plate and delivers fantastic customer support then I
wouldn't worry about it.. (I have heard that Bryston is
second to none when it comes to this issue.)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
David,

Thanks but that site is big time old.. I have changed a ton
since then :)

Updates are comming in a couple of weeks when I get my
killer "upscale" DIY Audio Rack done.. Then I can really
show the gear off :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks