Meridian releases hard disk DVD A player that rivals the sound of their disc players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Oct 20, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Heres the article:
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...meridian.shtml

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The big question I have is, how does one get DVD-Audio music onto the Meridian server? Most, if not all, of the discs are copy-protected. We are not talking about copying CDs and then upsampling with this device.

This thread should be moved to the Audio/Video Sources board.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Wow...this is the coolest thing I've seen in some time. Is there software available now that will encode ripped CDs to MLP? I'd like to play around with that.

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Meridian expects the model 880 Reference Music Server to be available January 2003 with a suggested retail price of approx. $17,000-20,000 each. Watch for more information at that time.

For a hard drive.

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,
    The answer is that you can't store DVD-A on the 880 Music server. I was talking with the head of Development @ Meridian while attending CEDIA about the potential of storing DVD-A and was told that the RIAA would have a fit were they to take MLP encoded DVD-Audio material and store it on the 880. Stupid, but true.
    Remember that Meridian Lossless Packing is a generic compression algorithm for PCM audio data. While people are most familiar with its utilization for DVD-Audio, its use in the 880 Music server demonstrates another application for MLP. Using MLP drastically increases the number of CDs that can be stored with their original fidelity intact.
    The closest you can get to store DVD-Audio is 24/96K PCM that isn't flagged as Copy Protected when the data is stored in the VIDEO_TS directory.
    Michael,
    The 880 has nothing to do with DVD-Audio, other than using the same compression algorithm (MLP). The product is a 4 zone 120GB music server, which allows for upsampling of material in integer ratios to a maximum of 96K with increase in sampling depth from 16 to a maximum of 24 bits.
    The fact that most people can store their CD collections (estimated capacity is ~900 CDs stored with MLP) in a single location is very cool. I just wish it wasn't so danged expensive!
    Meridian's statements that new products would be delivered rapidly after release of the 800/861 v3 turned out to be true. So far, we've had the 568.2 Processor, 598 DVD-A/DVD-V Player, 562.3 A/V switching center, 880 Music Server, DSP-7000 Loudspeaker, DSP-420 InWall Loudspeaker all announced in the 2nd half of 2002.
    Regards,

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up John, the article wasn't very specific or I just read it wrong. Still a neat product although I was hoping for actual DVD A.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, thanks. That makes sense. So, at best, we could hope to rip CDs to the Meridian unit and then upsample to 24/192. I don't know if this server upsamples. In any event, I am not at all excited by a digital audio server for $17,000-20,000 that basically offers a unique method for storing CDs, even if it does upsample.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,

Meridian products only upsample to 24/96K, not 24/192K. I'm sure there are other features that increase the cost of the unit.

BTW, current pricing for an MLP encoder is around US$5000 (or more).

Regards,

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer