Meridian 861 processor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rik Stockdale, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Rik Stockdale

Rik Stockdale Auditioning

Does anyone have any experience with the Meridian 861 processor? I'm especially interested in any problems that people have had/heard of. I'm looking at buying the version 3 and using it with analogue 6 channel inputs (for SACD), optical inputs and with digital AES/EBU outputs. I'll be using vid input and output cards aswell but the vid comes second to the audio.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Rik,

John C. Aussie over on Audio Asylum (video forum) has both the processor and player. Although he is not a good person to probably get an unbiased view from (very happy owner), but he has owned them for several years now and would probably have heard of any operational problems.

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rik,
    The Hitchiker's Guide to Meridian is an excellent forum dedicated to Meridian's products.
    You are aware that the Meridian processors are fully digital products, and any analogue input (including the 6-channel input) is going to be digitized?
    As long as you know this, you should be AOK.
    Regards,

4. Rik Stockdale

Yes I know that it's going to be digitised. I'm going to use AES/EBU digital outputs from the processor anyway as it's going into a Yamaha DME32 (DSP unit) for some funky dsp processing.
    Thanks for the info

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rik,

You'll also have to have something to do D/A after that, unless you're using Meridian's DSP loudspeakers.

Also, beware that you might be required to use MHR (encrypted) output, which would mean you can't use the Yamaha DSPs.....

This really is something that you might get a better answer from the Hitchhiker's Guide I listed above.

Regards,

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Besides, any processing Meridian does (particularly Trifield for music) will completely blow away Yamaha'a tricked up DSP modes (IMHYCO). [​IMG]

7. Rik Stockdale

I need the Meridian to output AES/EBU (Meridian make an AES/EBU output card). This will then go into the Yamaha DME32. The point of the Yamaha is that it will allow the user to select between several different sets of loudspeakers in stereo and surround set-ups. The DSP in the Yamaha allows the speakers to be faded in/out simultaneously. Thus providing a virtually seamless crossfade between the different loudspeakers. The Yamaha provides the final D/A stage.
    The current system uses a Lexicon. But the Lexicon does not output decoded Dolby/DTS in AES/EBU. It only provides a pass through digital output or decoded analogue outputs. So at the moment the audio signal goes through 2 sets of A/D and D/A convertors.
    In the interest of keeping the audio as pure as possible it would be nice to get rid of one of these sets of A/D and D/A's. Thus "upgrading" to a Meridian 861 with AES/EBU digital outputs would remove this extra stage of conversions.
    What I need to know about is any problems that other people have had with the Meridian systems. They are expensive and if they are inherently floored then it's not worth considering it.