meridian 561 WAY better than outlaw 950!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SC Trojan, May 7, 2002.

1. SC Trojan

SC Trojan Agent

i know i may be putting myself up to flames, but IMHO and in MY system, the meridian 561 is definately more flexible and more musical. I guess HTM got it right when they put the 561 on their list of recommended components!

I have listened for 6 hours, mainly music, but a little HT. My system consists of Bohlender graebner (2)520s, (1)220, (4) 420dx for speakers. I got 2 talon audio ROCs, which i am only using 1. For amplification, I am using an Aragon X5 and Aragon 8008.

In terms of flexibility, the meridian lets you change the delay of EACH speaker (left & right independantly) as well as the back AND rear sourrounds. Also, you can adjust the gains for EACH input. The crossover is not fixed either.

In terms of musciality, the meridian brings out a tighter bass and more warmth. There is a harshness in the 950 that I do not hear with the Meridian.

Anyways, I will listen to the two processors all week and provide a more indepth review.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Gary,
    How do you like those Rocs?
    I had one of the early units and it didn't quite work in my environment. I've seen pretty good reviews though. Your experience?
    I'm with David on the. . .

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Not really news. They're too radically different pieces at radically different price points. One offers solid performance and entry level separates for the masses and the other is the entry level piece of a company that may make the finest surround processors in the world.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

6. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

isn't this kinda like saying "the ferrari 360 is so much nicer than the camaro z28" [​IMG]

7. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

While I understand and agree with the points about the price differential, I think perhaps the original posters point is not all that ridiculous considering the very bold claims people keep making about the 950. If one wants to claim (as has been done many times) that the 950 is better than significantly more expensive gear (and may be, I certainly wouldn't know) it is perhaps useful to know how much more expensive you have to go before the greater expense translates into better performance.

Tim

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

9. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

That's a good point, I would like to see the 950 compared to much more expensive pieces to see where it stands. We all know it's an incredible value, and so far it has gotten rave reviews. I think the danger here is in how you compare it.

Gary, when your post says it's WAY better then the 950...well for $4100 more, I'd sure hope so. One new "trend" i'm starting to notice around here is a move towards less expensive gear that gives you great value while keeping all of the sought after features. What we're all striving to find is what's "good enough" for our systems and budgets.

10. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

They do make that claim about comparing to more expensive gear, but one should be reasonable. It's a $4100 difference. You could put a down payment on a car with that kind of money.

11. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

12. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Steve:

13. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

15. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

16. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Merc:

Then what accounts for all the sonic differences between stereo preamps?

Larry

17. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I'll put my 149.00 bottlehead foreplay tube pre up against the outlaw 950 for musicality anyday of the week.

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

John T: What tubes are you using in your bottlehead? Did you get any of the upgrades? Did you build it yourself or buy it built?

I have never heard the bottlehead. Does it nicely bump the upper mids while preserving the treble and low bass freqs?I've always wondered what three bottleheads would sound like for playback of MC SACD music?

20. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

John Morris,

I bought it off a audioasylum member and it has most all the upgrades, sweet whispers, anticipation, auricaps, rca cleartop tubes, magnet wire, panasonic power supply caps. I paid 275.00 shipped.

It does bump the mids, doesnt roll off anything and has natural sounding bass. John, I'm telling ya, its just sooo darned musical. I bought the sony ta-p9000es to hook to my lex. The ta-p9000es is CRYSTAL clear for two channel but its got no juice, I cant listen for too long and also cant crank it without some fatique. I put the foreplay in between my cambrdige 500se and the taps bypass and it was pure magic. I can crank it up, listen all day and it makes all my badly recorded rock cds sound brillant. Dont mean to overstate but I have made about a billion changes in my system and was a non believer in tubes,,,well I was wrong this is the biggest upgrade I have had in two channel. Oh yea my buddy has a foreplay and is thinking of making 2 more for sacd..That combo would rock