Merging two S-Video cables...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know if such an item exists?
    I have an older model Sony XBR 27", and it only has one S-Video In. I am using two S-Video cables, one for the DVD and PS2. I want to merge the two cables into a type of gizmo that looks like a "cable splitter" and NOT use one of those AV/Selectors, for fear it'll reduce the image. I'm so tired of constantly switching back and forth, can anybody help me out?
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A switch box will probably be better.
    Using a straight Y-connector, is possible for the unused device to cause interference even if it is turned off.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

You are correct, it WILL cause some signal interference. Whether it is noticeable or not is luck of the draw. Do you not own an A/V reciever with S-Video switching? I ask because most DD/DTS recievers are doing at least a pair now.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

On a related question:
    I have an old NTSC monitor I use for video production (it has a GREAT picture considering it was $400 15 years ago, and yes, I calibrated it). It takes a Y/C signal through RCA plugs, can you suggest where I can get an S-Video-RCA adapter that will split the signal?
    Jeff Kleist

5. Bill_S

Bill_S Auditioning

Radio Shack has a switching box that accepts 4 S-Video inputs. I got my for $20 when it was on sale.