What's new

Merged Thread: Who Framed Roger Rabbit Problems (1 Viewer)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I didn't really notice the flickering...but I will make a minor complaint about the packaging. While the appearance is cool and the design is neat.....it is damned near impossible to fit everything back into the slipcase.....and the side (binding) is already starting to flake off some of the color along the edge.

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
Watched mine last night.

Flickering Hell! on both my Pana RP-82 and old Toshiba on 2 different tv's.

I've never seen a disc flicker this bad. Very disappointing and annoying.

Packaging also blows. Almost broke the disc in half trying to remove it from the spindle. Not to mention 2 different security stickers on the inside of the slipcase which causes problem putting the digipack back in the sleeve.

It's a Vista series, can't we have a uniform package.

Oh well, maybe they'll fix it for the HD-SuperDuper_Vista Series.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Wow, flickering hell? Must be a combination of player / output or something. Are people seeing flicker on progressive, because I didn't.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure what Tom is describing, but what I (and a lot of others) were describing, probably inaccurately by using "flickering" but I couldn't think of a better phrase, Patrick McCart described accurately in the other WFRR thread as "wavering contrast" - like the light shining through the projector was not constant or was fluctuating.

Felix in post #32 above probably hit the nail on the head with his post:
Re: the flickering...

Folks, this is the wonderful world of good 'ol photochemical optical effects. These "flickering" shots are at *least* one generation removed from non-optical elements. The only way around this is to do a grounds up restoration of WFRR, going back to all the original elements, scanning them into the computer as high-res files and digitally compositing them.
It is not flickering in the electronic, or digital sense, nor is it the dreaded Sony RPTV flicker. It's a product of the film elements used for the transfer, not the sort of thing you see from a player/disc incompatibility.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I have a Sony DVP-9000 ES multi-region bought in HK and I did not experience any freezing or flickering.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Packaging also blows. Almost broke the disc in half trying to remove it from the spindle. Not to mention 2 different security stickers on the inside of the slipcase which causes problem putting the digipack back in the sleeve
Weird. I had only one tag on the inside of my slipcase. And the discs came out of the packaging quite easily for my copy.

Oh, watched my copy yesterday and am happy to say that I didn't have any technical problems. I watched it on a Sony DVP-S560D.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Watched it last night (Panny RP-62) and didn't notice any flickering. I wasn't looking for it either. No other problems to report except for the rather poorly placed layer change.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think Felix Martinez nailed it on the "flickering" issue, so I'm just going to repeat what he said:

Folks, this is the wonderful world of good 'ol photochemical optical effects. These "flickering" shots are at *least* one generation removed from non-optical elements. The only way around this is to do a grounds up restoration of WFRR, going back to all the original elements, scanning them into the computer as high-res files and digitally compositing them.
To the extent that the flickering is worse on the DVD than on the LD (which I still have), it's primarily because the DVD doesn't have LD's video noise -- noise on LD often camouflaged a lot of artifacts (like edge enhancement), and this is just another example. The new DVD is so clean that, for the first time in memory, I was able to spot matte lines in Roger Rabbit.

M.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Packaging also blows. Almost broke the disc in half trying to remove it from the spindle. Not to mention 2 different security stickers on the inside of the slipcase which causes problem putting the digipack back in the sleeve.
Had no problems getting the discs out and my copy didn't even have any security stickers! I would have liked it better if the slip case slipped out from the side instead of the top though. I've had minor problems putting it back in and when I take it out, the inserts fall out. :)

Anyway, on the DVD itself, I had no problems on my other player, but this morning I tried it on my three year old Pioneer model and the dialogue went out after the layer change. I stopped it and replayed, and this time it handeled the change just fine.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
It played through just fine on my Toshiba(not sure of the model, borrowing it from my brother cause it supports DTS unlike my old Sony), however I too noticed "flickering." It's as if the lighting on stuff would fluctuate now and then. I just assumed it has something to do with combining live action and animation ya know? No biggie. Yeah, not a big fan of the packaging. A couple miniscule parts already had flaked off when I just took the plastic wrapping off. Oh well. Man, those Roger Rabbit shorts brought back memories! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think you're right Michael. Since this is a result of the way the film was amde and composited, I no longer consider this a "fault" of the transfer, just rather an unfortunate side effect of the technology used to create the shots.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I had a couple of strange problems with Disc 2 last night. I have a Phillips/Magnavox DVD825 player. At the layer change (right between scene 13 and 14), the disc went back to the menu. I could start it at scene 14 and so didn't miss anything, but it wouldn't play through from 13 to 14. Very strange. That's the first time anything like this has happened to me on this player.

Also, after the film finished, it went back to a frozen main menu. The menu was just flickering and most of my dvd player controls were not working any more. I had to turn off the player in order to do anything.

It was all very weird.

Neil

AlanCOL

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but I had to chime in about the subtitle problems with "WFRR". I own a JVC XV-S500BK, and this marks the second time I've had problems with the subtitles turning on automatically while playing a movie. The first time was with "XXX". It's extremely annoying! On WFRR, the subtitles seem to turn themselves on just as the opening title appears in Chapter 1. I started the film with the on-screed display on and watched it as it changed itself from the "off" position to the "french" position just as the words "Who Framed" started to fade in. Now, once I turn them back on thru the on-screen menu, they remain off, but it's a problem that really gets on my nerves. FYI, this occurs on BOTH the widescreen and full-frame versions. And before anyone asks: Yes, I've checked all settings on both the DVD player and the DVD itself. It's actually interesting that it's the FRENCH subtitles that come up, yet the DVD menu only has the ENGLISH ones as an option.

Now, having read a number of threads on this problem, it seems that some are under the assumption that there is firmware available somewhere to correct this problem with JVC players. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where I can get it?

As for the flickering or long pauses, I haven't experienced any of those problems yet, but I'm keeping an eye out...

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it on my Playstation2 last night and didn't notice any flickering or freezes.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I had freezing on disc 2 at 3 points during the movie. I returned it and though the new one didn't have the same issue, it did freeze up very briefly at a different spot. I doubt it has to do with the movie, more to do with quality of the production if everyone is having some issues.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony ??? and the disc freezes weirdly when RK Maroon is killed. His body just stays still in mid air - but the sound plays fine. Weird.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
disc 1 (MAR version) plays fine with no problems.
disc 2 (widescreen version) on my Pioneer DV-37 froze up before the menu! then during the feature, multiple (at least 40) short duration freezes in video while audio continues playing fine, then freezes up completely. no amount of button pushing fixes the problem, i have to eject and start over. this disc is unwatchable.

this is maddening...
any word of a recall/replacement disc?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
For some strange reason, when I tried Disc 2 with the Toontown Confidential option I did not have the same problems I had on the layer change before. Definitely some goofy problems with this disc, but at least I can get through it one way or another.

Neil

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I own a JVC XVD723 and my copy of WFRR from DVDPlanet was defective. Botrh DVD's just keep stoping and ejecting itself out of the player.
I got my replacement copy in from DVDPLanet and the same thing happens, so it must be a JVC issue.

I can still play them in the JVC Player, I just have to hit play 20 times, and it skips over the menus, straight to the movie.

However, BOTH DVD's work fine in my portable DVD Player.(Panasonic)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks