What's new

Merged Thread: Warner 2004 SE catalogue releases for Region 2 and possibly Region 1 too! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Good news, though some of these films are pretty cruddy, imho.

I also find it a bit perverse that they should revisit ENTER THE DRAGON, which is available in a pretty good edition, before revisiting films like THE MALTESE FALCON or THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING.

Strange, too, that there's no mention of Prince's SIGN O THE TIMES, yet they intend to include the execrable UNDER THE CHERRY MOON.

More alarming is the absence of MEAN STREETS, once rumoured for the Scorsese set . There's a German DVD available with a documentary, though it's frustratingly overdubbed in German.

Still, these are only the R2 releases. I'd expect an even more ambitious slate for R1.

But still no sign of the BLADE RUNNER S.E, without which my life will never be quite complete . . . :frowning:

James L White

Supporting Actor
Not to overlook all the great titles, and I hope all of them make their way to R1 - but the one that I'm really looking forward to is the Police Academy boxset!
:emoji_thumbsup: hopefully we'll see all the deleted scenes.:D I'll finally be ebale to say good-bye to my VHS tapes :)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

The Man Who Would Be King is a Columbia Tristar property, in the UK.

I think Polygram or Warner Music owned Sign of the Times in the UK. I don't think Warner Home Video (a completely separate division) would own this, either.

Warner Home Video almost certainly don't own Mean Streets in the UK, either. I think it was always the intention that it would be licensed in from a third party for a (R1) Scorsese box set.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Not sure about the UK, but Sign o the Times was released here by MCA/Universal, not Warner Bros.

I am excited about the Prince releases and I hope we get them in the US!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes for me to buy the Police Academy boxset, all the deleted scenes must be included. And there are tons, for all 7 films.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I can only hope the 2-disc SE's of Goodfellas and Heat make their way across the pond to the good old USA. Two of my oldest DVD's I'm eager to replace with better editions.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Digitalbits just posted yesterday in the rumor mill a list of R2 Warner Se's for 2004

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

Heat & Gone With the Wind are two of the must buys for me from that list.

And of course im sure Ill pick up Harry Potter as well.

I just hope as hell that this list will apply to R1 as well.

Tanja

Agent
will the SE from gone with the wind be the same as the french dvd which is out already (not remastered but with a bonus disk)?

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
Do they have have stereo recordings of the "Blazing Saddles" score? They could do a 5.1 remix from those elements.

Ben

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty confident that Warner will issue a remastered edition of Mean Streets, it pretty much stands to reason. If they have went to the trouble to release Who's That Knocking At My Door? (a gem, by the way) then I would expect them to release the film that launched his career. Mean Streets is a masterpiece of American Cinema, and fully deserves a high-quality DVD.

Only a f*ckin' mook would pass up such an opportunity. :D

Gordy

TonyDale

Second Unit
Well, I did post here earlier, but it would seem that my post was driven into the etherworld.

It's refreshing to read over at The Digital Bits, that there is indeed a "special edition" dvd of KING KONG in the works; something which was discussed in another thread here.

According to TDB:
We've also confirmed with our sources that Warner is working on 2-disc SEs of Forbidden Planet and King Kong for 2004. We'll let you know when any official announcements get made.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The Bits have a King Kong cover in their "unanounced" page of the Upcoming Artwork section.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Bits have a King Kong cover in their "unanounced" page of the Upcoming Artwork section.
its just a 'stand-in' cover.
i do hope they continue with using the vintage one sheet art for the jackets, and that 'alternative' ("B"?) poster would look great.
the original one sheet was primarily red and yellow with Kong on the ESB.
Kong looked much more stylized than he does on the 'blue' poster.

actually, the first poster took me a while to get used , but either one would make a kick ass cover

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Curious if Wyatt Earp will be the Directors cut that was once released on LD? Any clue on that? Great news on Heat and Goodfellas as well. Always heard about Heat in DTS sounding a lot better, I would love to experience that!!!
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks