What's new

MERGED THREAD: Spy Kids 2 Audio/Video Problems?? (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
Anyone else experience audio drop out in chapters 10 & 15 ?

If you watch the movie straight through it happens but if you select either chapter from the main menu it's ok.

I have a Pioneer DV525.

SteveDoyon

Auditioning
I just bought Spy Kids 2 and it seems defective. It locked up about 6 times during the movie. Each time it acted like a very long layer change - essentially a freeze for 4-6 seconds, then continued on with the scene. I found that I could fast forward through the freeze without a problem.

This is the first defective disc I've ever encountered (out of 430), so I guess I've been lucky. Anyone else having a similar problem?? My DVD player is a Sony 9000ES - its not one known for having problems. I suspect I've just got my first bum disc - I'll take it back to WalMart tomorrow for an exchange.

Yes, I have seen the same problem. We play a copy of the DVD in our store, and I have noticed it freeze for an extended period (5 to 10 seconds) a couple of times. I figured it was the layer change being handled badly on our store's VERY cheap DVD player.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Off hand, it sounds like the kind of problem resulting from a bad copy. However, Jarrod's comment leans credence to it being a compatibility issue. Unfortuneately, my copy's in still in shipping hell from Amazon (some where between Delaware and New Jersey) so I can't confirm.

I'd suggest exchanging it for a new copy wherever you bought it, and if the new copy does it you'll know it's a player issue.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Watching it now. Will report experience later. However, what was really odd as after I took the brand new DVD out of the shrink wrap and 46 security stickers, the disc looked like it had been through rental for a month. It was covered in greasy fingerprints! I have never seen that on a new DVD. I guess the packer was eating chips or something but how strange!

N

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Well we got done watching it and I'm happy to say no problems here on my Sony DVP-S560D - after cleaning off the mess first (see post above).

N

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
As I said above, the disc did freeze multiple time on my Sony DVP-S300, but while playing the same chapters back on my Sony PS2, it did not.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Same problems on my S9000ES. Since I recently had my player serviced, I was happy to see this thread to confirm that it is not just my player on the fritz.

So, is this only happening to specifc Sony models? Has anyone done an exhange and still has the same problem?

Jim-M

Second Unit
Played it last night on our Sony DVP-NS300 and had no problems. The layer change was noticeable, but that was it.

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at the video quality and Im sorry there's artifacts all over the disc.
Just like star wars 2 they can't convert digital film to dvd.
Garbage. good colors but articats.
terrible.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm having the same problems with it on my Sony DVP-S3000. I've never had any problems with any other discs (although 60 discs isn't the largest of data points ;) ). But suffice it to say that most of the discs that have been troublesome for others haven't given me any troubles.

It freezes in about 6 places. It's repeatable and always freezes in the same places. (I haven't recorded exactly which places it freezes, but I might if this is a pretty common error.) It doesn't skip past anything in the scene, it just freezes for a couple seconds then goes on.

If this is a compatibility issue then I'll just have to put up with it (grumble, grumble). It's not me that usually watches it anyway.

Alex S

Second Unit
Anyone else have any audio dropouts ?

I'm going to return the disk then maybe it's defective.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have merged these threads into one. We can deal with both audio and video problems for this DVD in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.