What's new

Merged Thread: Raiders of the Lost Ark: Problems, Title and Chapter Issues (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
With all the indepth discussion over in the Star Wars thread about things being changed I'm suprised I haven't heard any discussion of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" being changed to "Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the recent DVD release. It didn't keep me from buying the set or really upset me that much but I would have preffered the original title to have been kept intact. If the discs were released individually I could almost understand the change (name recognition and keeping all three titles in the same area on store shelves) but in the box set it doesn't really make sense.

I guess not much has been made about it since the last VHS release had it as "Indiana Jones and..." but if they were going with that scheme, why didn't they keep the chapter numbers (23 for TOD, 24 for ROTLA, 25 for TLC) unless they don't have any plans of releasing they have no intentions of releasing the re-edited-for-vhs versions of "Young Indiana Jones" and possibly releasing it as the TV shows originaly aired.

Any ideas or comments?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it only changed on the box, and not in the film itself? That's what I seem to remember from the VHS release, and if that's still the case... Well, it's a minor nuisance, somewhere between not having a chapter insert or not having DTS - it's possible to feel passionate about it, but it's not like the film itself has been tampered with.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, actually, the film has been tampered with (see other thread), but the opening credits still read Raiders Of The Lost Ark, NOT Indiana Jones and...;)

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I like the change, it saves me the headache of deciding where to put them alphabetically on my shelf :)

I obviously would've needed to keep all three together, but if the FIRST one was called Raiders, the other two would look silly in the "I" section, and vice versa.

These things keep me up at night ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Which I always thought was ignorant of him. It's the money from those "losers" that keeps him in toupees and hair transplants. He sure isn't known for his star turn in that magnificent opus known as TJ HOOKER. What an appropriate last name for his character. If it hadn't have been for the "losers", the name Shatner would have been coupled with the word who: as in, Shatner WHO??!!

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator
Which I always thought was ignorant of him.
Main Entry: joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
Date: 1670
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I obviously would've needed to keep all three together, but if the FIRST one was called Raiders, the other two would look silly in the "I" section, and vice versa.
Such are the dilemas for he who adheres to the A-Z system of displaying DVDs!

I use a chronilogical system. Far easier. But I still keep sequels and additonal parts together, ie. Fletch and Fletch Lives are together. Things like the Herzog & Kinski and Polanski (Region 2, Anchor Bay) boxed sets are trickier, but I'm, satisfied with the system. Looks neater. And at a glance, you can see just how dramatically the movies I like changes through the years! It's cool.

Gordy

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Thanks Anthony.

Edwin-S,

Did you even see the end of the sketch where Shatner acknowledges not to piss off his fan base?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Geek shall inherit the Earth.
- Anon

I like Geeks and Nerds. Geeks and Nerds are cool. They are not "Losers". I like Shatner. I'm pretty sure that Shats respects his audience and fans as he's a self-effacing guy and he doesn't seem like a Dickhead to me.

Gordy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I know what joke means and how to pronounce it. I don't believe that Shatner's comments were a joke. His tone and delivery were a combination of condecension and belittlement. It was seen as a "joke" to anyone who hadn't been made the butt of such ignorant remarks. It would be interesting to see how fast his "joke" comments would suddenly be seen as the ignorant remarks of a complete asshole if Shatner made those kinds of remarks about movie buffs.

After I viewed that SNL skit, my respect for Shatner went down about 100%. Harlan Ellison's comments about Shatner -in his book about The City on the Edge of Forever- took on a whole new meaning when I saw Shatner's behaviour in that skit. It was completely unprofessional of him to even agree to do something like that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I did see the skit, but I don't remember this line; however, the line just seems like a qualifier made by someone who realized that he just bit the hand that fed him.

Anyhow, I better stop. I don't want to be seen as farting in this thread. I just see red when Shatner and his SNL skit are brought up, and I'm not even a TREKKIE.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It would have been great if they had left the box title untouched. Since the movie title itself is still Raiders of The Lost Ark, I can ignore the modified box title.

STAR WARS -A NEW HOPE (Episode IV) is a different story.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Gee, Ryan O'Neal caught hell for the final "Love means never having to say you're sorry" line in WHAT'S UP, DOC? !

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well, first of all, he never called them "losers" -- just the "lamest bunch." :)

Edwin, you do realize that Shatner didn't just dream up that 1986 SNL "Get a Life!" skit on his own? He's an actor. He was hosting the show and the writers came up with a skit, based in reality, about how he would like to move on as an actor but the Trekkies don't see him as anything but Kirk. The ending has him back down when threatened with a contract.

I like Star Trek (though I'm not a Trekkie or Trekker or whatever) and thought it was a very memorable and funny skit.

While Shatner definitely has an ego, he has displayed quite a self-deprecating humor on may occasions. I think the skit that he acted in was making fun of his own situation as much as Trekker nerds.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
With all the indepth discussion over in the Star Wars thread about things being changed I'm suprised I haven't heard any discussion of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" being changed to "Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the recent DVD release.
One reason for the lack of discussion could be that the name change is old, old news. The name was changed to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 1999 VHS release. It was a subject of intense discussion at the time, but the thread is no longer around.

M.

George See

Second Unit
Seems like a silly thing to worry about to me....call it whatever you want I prefer to call it "that movie with that guy with the hat" :)

This is not even in the same playing field as Greedo Shooting first or the cops in ET having walkie talkies instead of guns.

A Rose by any other name etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks