What's new

Merged Thread: Marx Brothers on DVD - 7 more films on May 4th (1 Viewer)

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Although i started collecting DVDs back in 1999 i missed out on the chance to order the few Marx Brothers titles that were released under the Universal label via Image Entertainment in 2000.

As i understand there was a law suit over the pricing of these 'early' DVD releases between the two, and subsequently Universal withdraw the license.

CHATSWORTH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2000--Image Entertainment Inc. (Nasdaq: DISK - news), the leading independent licensee and distributor of DVD programming in North America, today announced it denies all of the allegations contained in a lawsuit filed yesterday against the company by Universal Studios Home Video.

In the lawsuit, Universal accuses Image of breaching a license agreement giving Image exclusive rights to distribute 50 of Universal's motion picture titles on DVD format for a three-year period. Universal accused the company of improperly reducing suggested retail prices on those Universal titles.
Since then, nearly 2 1/2 years have gone by and 'nothing' has happened (just a few of the above mentioned 50 titles were re-released by Universal itself, but not one MB-movie :frowning: !)
Are there any news about the preparation of a 'Marx Brothers Collection' DVD Boxset ? Is there any restoration work going on ? Has anybody working with/for/under/... Universal or anybody else heard or seen some Marx Brothers related stuff lately ? Anything is welcome. I am dying for any kind of news...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pretty much all of the Paramount films owned by Universal are in poor shape. This is why they've only released a handful of them, besides Image's releases.

Horse Feathers, for example, needs a scene restored due to it looking like a jump-cut marathon during it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am amazed that The Marx Brothers are notably
absent from the DVD format.

What the heck is going on?!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I've got the old ones and would like to upgrade them as well. I should probably put them on ebay while they're still worth something. I've only watched them once and have hoped for improved editions ever since. Maybe one more viewing and I'll toss 'em.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would buy all thirteen of the Marxist films if they were available. Oh, but to be able to screen A Night at the Opera ("if I got any closer, I'd be in back of you!").

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm really surprised that these aren't on the slate for restoration-I'd love to get a decent looking copy of Animal Crackers, and there are a bunch of them that I've never seen that I'd probably buy. Sounds like a great opportunity for a box set...

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I had two spies on this case, but it didn't work out. Just listen to what the one guy gave me as his excuse:

"Mister, you no understand. Look, he's a spy and I'm a spy--he work-a for me. I want him to find out something but he no find out what I wanna find out. Now how am I gonna find out what I wanna find out if he no find out what I gotta find out?" :)

I'm glad I picked up the original five for $8.99 a pop back in 2000.

Evan

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was lucky enough to buy these online a few years ago. So, I bought them in my pajamas. What the DVDs were doing in my pajamas, I'll never know. :D

I would definitely upgrade all of the old discs for newer, improved transfers. I would also love to get A Night At The Opera and A Day At The Races on disc.

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, Patrick,

EMKA Limited actually owns the Paramount pre-1950 stuff, although EMKA today exists only as an in-name-only division of Universal, as it is the successor-in-interest to Universal's television division then known as Revue Studios. So techincally speaking, it's Universal's television division that actually owns the Paramount pre-50 films, including all the Marx Bros. films they made for Paramount.

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I also wonder if the lack of release on DVD has anything to do with the lack of finding good materials to work from. Even Criterion's laserdisc of Night at the Opera suffers from some jump cuts.

I very much want to see the Marx Bros restored and on DVD.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I think the only one I dont have on either LD or DVD is the Big Store.........Id have that one but they stuck it with a Abbott & Costello Movie
Buster got a whole Box, why not the Brothers?
And hey while we are at it. Why not a Box set of "You bet your Life"

Via a Duck?
Via not a chicken?

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Im an old WB chat, I thought they said they were working on A Night in Casablanca, I believe they also own
  • A Night at the Opera
  • A Day at the Races
  • Room Service
  • At the Circus
  • Go West
  • The Big Store

All being former MGM movies, with "Casablana" a United Artists release.

Universal has distribution for the previously released Image Titles:
  • The Cocoanuts
  • Animal Crackers
  • Monkey Business
  • Horse Feathers
  • Duck Soup

12 titles....0 in print

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks