What's new

Merged Thread: LOTR: ROTK - Theatrical & EE Release Dates? & DVD Features (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Exactly what I've been saying to all my friends Sam. It doesn't work at the beginning of Return of the King and had they gotten rid of the fat in The Two Towers, it would've work excellent at the end of that film along with Gollum's ending.

They try to explain their reasons on the commentary but it's not sound at all. Bascially, they screwed that one up.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I think the Saruman scene works fine at the beginning of ROTK. It's not just wrapping up the events in TTT, it reminds the audience of the conflicts that are to come up in ROTK -- Frodo's journey to Mordor, whether or not Aragorn will become king, etc.

Helm's Deep / Osgiliath isthe resolution of TTT. The moviegoers are zipping up their coats and getting their car keys ready at that point. I don't think a scene with a lot of dialog and tension would have worked well after the main conflict is resolved.

In the end, it doesn't really matter since the movies are really three parts of the same movie. Especially now that they're all out on DVD, it'll be harder to view them in isolation.

Shem Kellogg

Agent
i missed the first LOTR in theaters so decided to just wait for all 3. then these peeps came out with these extended versions. i'm just curious to know if am i the only one out there that hasn't seen (or read) any LOTR yet? i'm waiting for that last extended cut to come out and then i'll run a marathon

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I'm not so sure that's a good idea to do on the very first time watching LOTR. It's long and could be mentally exhausting for someone who isn't familiar with the material. If I was watching it for the first time, I'd pace myself.

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I find that all-day marathons help me understand and put things together a lot easier. I do this all the time with TV shows on DVD. I've never gotten mentally exhausted watching movies or TV before.

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I'm about to confess my geekness here. Does anyone know if any stores are planning 12:01 a.m. openings for the release? I've never played that game in the past, but since we don't get a new movie this year . . . .

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone read any reviews on the 5th disc, LOTR Symphony? Are any parts of it in 5.1? Need to know whether I'll be buying the gift set or not based on the quality of the 5th disc.

Kami

Screenwriter
I can't confirm this since I don't have the gift set yet, I only managed to snag a stand-alone version early, but someone told me the Symphony disc has a DTS 6.1 option - but I would confirm it first. :)

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
If the Symphony disc has DTS I am 100% sold on the gift set, can anyone confirm. I know people in New York get their hands on DVDs a lot earlier. I used to do the same myself when I was out there for 3+ years. Someone please confirm regarding the Symphony disc audio options! Thanks!

Melson

Agent
Yes, the Symphony disc does have DTS 6.1
It's mainly long pieces from the symphony concert with some not-very-spontaneous sounding soundbites from Howard Shore in between. It's OK, but I'd rather have the whole concert on a 2DVD set.

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up the gift set this weekend. My wife and I were renting from B-Buster and I saw the gift set behind the counter. I figured, what the hell I'll play dumb and see if I can make the purchase. Well the clerk must have been playing dumb as well since I walked out with it, no questions asked.

The Symphony disc is in DTS. If you're a fan of the soundtrack, more than likely you'll appreciate this disc. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

Having just watched the Superbit of Spidey 2, I have to say the video for ROTK is a bit disappointing. Soft, noisy and a bit washed-out. That being said, it's pretty much on par with the previous EE releases. I used to think the video quality of those releases was top-notch but they're a bit weak compared to Spidey 2 in my opinion.

Where this disc really shines is the DTS soundtrack.

I haven't listened to the DD track so I'm not sure how it compares. But compared to the DTS tracks on the previous EE releases this one stands head and shoulders above. Especially when it comes to the low-end.

One scene in particular is the shockwave after the destruction of the Eye. WOW! The bassheads will be happy!

As usual it was worth the wait, but I really want HD. The countdown has begun...

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Must be nice Bob_chase! My normal brick and mortar "did not have it in". Mind you, the owners and daughters were off this weekend, and the newbie was manning the till. He may just be yanking my chain, or just does not know me yet :frowning:

So today, I called ahead, and he tells me it is in. I rush over during my 30 minutes of "gulp down food" time, only to have him say "oh I thought you meant the "normal" version.

HUH?!? what part of "giftset" confused him? Oh well, the owners are back tomorrow! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks