What's new

Merged Thread for all problem-related issues with TTT:EE ext. ed. (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
others have said they had no problem removing gollum through the bottom of the box, but the bottom of the box in mine was glued right to the styrofoam encasing gollum. i tried openingthe bottom first, but ended up tearing one of the flaps, so i resorted to carving away a couple of chunks of the styrofoam until i could snip the ziptie holding it all together, and then twisted him out the rest of the way.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Perhaps the packaging is designed to give buyers a sense of the struggle and frustration that Smeagol deals with all the time.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I returned my EE discs, not the gift set, to Zellers (a large Canadian dept chain) & told the lady in Electronics the problem. She said she thought the paper was suppose to stay on the back of the box. I said "Why would they put such a nice design under it then?" Finally she agreed & I said I would take an exchange as long as the next one didn't have the same problem. It did. Whatever type of glue was used soaked right through into the box under it. A very horrible job of packaging. I asked for a refund & went down the mall to CD-Now that was selling it for the same price. I told the sales guy the story & he opened one. It was still sticky but much better then the other ones. So I bought it, used a hair dryer to heat up the glue abit, & peeled off the paper. I still had to gently use some lighter fluid to remove the residue but it looks good now.

Its a good thing I love this movie so much cause I don't thing I would have gone hrough this for many other ones. :angry:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmmm..
I have not tried to remove Smeagol yet, but I was already wondering if he could be displayed as is, inside the box.

Now you guys experience so many problems (and assuming I will too), that might be a neat solution. Gives the box a purpose even. Yes, I would have retained it anyway.

Cees

Dean_Jonesy

Agent
Who was the asshat that created this box!!! I couldn't go through the bottom because it was glued to the foam that Smeagol is attached too!

Same here. I ended up destroying the box on the bottom. Looks like the rebate for FOTR is still up. I didn't do this last year because I didn't get a rebate form. Now my proofs of purchase and receipt are gone. Even though I still have my p.o.p from the FOTR theatrical. I can at least save $10 this go around.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Attention fellow Canadians:

I e-mailed Alliance last night regarding my serious glue problem and received a reply back saying they are going to send me a new sleeve! :)

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your email.

We will replace your damaged cover immediately - please accept our sincere apology for this faulty cover. Please email back your complete name and address including postal code.

Best regards,

Universal Studios / Alliance Atlantis Video
I didn't specifically ask for a replacement (I simply expressed my disappointment) in my e-mail but they offered. :emoji_thumbsup:

[email protected]

Shane D

Supporting Actor
Only problem I've had so far is on disc 1, at the layer change, it hangs, then jumps 8 minutes to the next chapter, pushing back to go back to chapter 15 and it plays fine.

Im begining to think its the player though, cause allthe indiana jones disks did the exact same thing.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I had two problems with this otherwise outstandnig set:

1. Major red artifacts with those night scenes as previously discussed. I guess this is the result of some filtering/optical illusion, but I have never seen it on another disc and it was annoying here.

2. DTS dropouts about every 15 minutes or so. These are quick drops, less than 1/2 second, but noticeable. Anyone else have this problem? This is on a Toshiba SD-4700 with optical out to a Yamaha HTR5250.

If I have a defective disc, I'll exchange it. If it is an equipment issue, I can live with it--the DD 5.1 is more than sufficient, but I would like the option of DTS. If it is a pervasive problem, does New Line know about it?

(Thank you to those who have responded in the other thread. I will go through the movie agin in the next day or so and look for specific scenes with the brief audio drops. I'll play it on my PS2 as well.)

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Guys I have a problem I hope you can shed some light on. I am having trouble getting the DTS soundtrack. After I choose DTS and start the movie, my receiver registers DPL. Just FYI, I have a Panny RP91 and a Pioneer Elite receiver. Anyway, the DD soundtrack has no problems. This happened with both disc 1 and 2. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I thought that with all of the suggestions here getting the poor creature out would have been a piece of cake!

NOT!

I had no rubber cement on the cover at all, but they made up for it with the glue. I'd suggest, if needed, using a serrated blade and sliding it through the cardboard on the bottom, in all possible directions. before trying to open it up that way.

Good luck

Glenn

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I watched mine in DTS the other day, and I had no problems other than the mentioned jumps from my other posts....

Maybe I'll watch it in DD to see if it still does it.

Though I did not experience dropouts or any problem with my player or receiver recognizing the DTS option....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I re-watched the first disc and noticed the following:

LOTR: TTT (EE) Disc 1
Equipment: Toshiba SD-4700 via optical to Yamaha HTR5250.

Layer change at Ch.14/Ch.15 (50:43)

Brief DTS drops at the following times:
Ch.17 @ 1:01:00 when Gandalf says, "Doubt ever gnaws at him." (Part of the word "doubt" is dropped.)

Ch.20 @ 1:21:23 just after Theoden says, "I know your face."

Ch.25 @ 1:34:04 when Theoden says, "Bring my horse." (Part of the word "horse" is dropped.
---
I then played those scenes in DTS on my PS2 via optical to my Yammie and it played flawlessly! This must indicate a compatibility issue with the Toshiba player and not a random disc flaw.

I will report on Disc 2 tomorrow.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Just picked the regular extended edition and have glue left over the back of the box and paper really stuck all over the top. Some people have mentioned windex in this thread. How do you use it to get rid of residue? Why the hell do they glue that paper on anyway? It's under the damn plastic wrap and can't go anywhere. Do they really think anyone leaves it attached and covers up the box art? Emailed them about it, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Been using packing tape since I posted and have finally got all the glue off the back but the paper residue on top won't budge:angry:

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
The paper being glued to the slipcase seems to be a Canadian problem (lucky us). I just e-mailed Alliance, using the above link to express my displeasure.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Chris, that red artifacting was discussed extensively in the previous thread about the theatrical cut of TTT, and it was determined to be an optical illusion caused by the high levels of cyan used in the night scenes. If you search for that thread, there's quite a few posts that dissect it, as well as a few references to web pages on optical illusions that explain the phenomenon. While annoying, it is not a fault of the disc. Increasing the levels of ambient light slightly seems to help reduce or eliminate the problem.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Just got a reply e-mail from Alliance and they offered to send me a replacement. Nice that they handled it so quickly.:emoji_thumbsup: Now I just hope the replacement case gets here in good condition

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I too received a reply from Alliance, but it isn't clear whether they are sending a new collector's box or the inside case. It is the box that is ruined on mine.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Danm, so much danm glue on that back sheet. My box's plenty of dryed glue :frowning:

Btw, there's french on the disc now, now. Not with FOTR tho. Also, the booklet is printed on textured papers :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks