1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Merged Thread For All AOTC DVD Problems; Please Post All DVD Related Problems Here.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane L., Nov 12, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

There is a little noise, but it looks like noise in my lines that my cables and power strips cannot filter out, as they only appear if my heat is going.

I knew this would happen though...the forum is trying to find ANY minor flaw on this disc and blowing it wide open.

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Tom McA: What reciever/speakers do you have? I played ATOC at 15db below ref and the only distortion I got was the heating vents rattling (really god awful annoying to, I have to find a way to shut them up). I have a D811S and JBL N38 mains, no sub. You are probably better off getting a sub instead of new mains.

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Grant H
    Stefan,

I sympathize with your "grain" or I suppose more properly expressed "noise" experience.
    I definitely noticed at the beginning of the film with the red walls in Palpatine's chamber meeting with the Yoda and Mace, but I'm not sure about the others. I'd have to print up your list and check it some time.
    I fear it may be a chroma noise bug, but can't confirm that. I'm running a new Sony DVPNC655PB progressive scan player.
    I haven't noticed this effect on any other transfers, but it would be harder to notice since other transfers of course have actual film grain.
    I assumed at first it had to do with the capture on the digital source, likening the high saturation of those red walls, to blacks or shadows (which I'd think would be easier to correct in post-production than reds.) Or that possibly there was some texture in the wall that was so minute it was causing a miniature aliasing or haloing effect because there isn't enough resolution either on DVD or with the Digital Camera itself.
    However, if no one else running somewhat high-end equipment sees this, maybe the fault is in our gear or their settings, sad to say.
    I've got some really good compontent video cables hooked up to my RCA 38" HDTV set, but I confess it's not a direct connect exactly since I have component video switching on my Pioneer receiver. (The TV has only one set of components, and I needed another set for my Gamecube)
    I don't know about the noise spreading to other areas of the picture from the red, but I did see something, not that it was particularly obtrusive or that most people would even notice. I can't imagine them seeing it on a non-HD display too easily. Maybe it's a chroma bug. Maybe our color is still set too high. I turned it down many times when I first got the set. Seems you don't need much when you're working with component cables.
    I also confess I'm not ISF calibrated (I think that's right). Not even sure who to call to do that. Something I'd certainly consider though I have no idea how much it would cost.
    Hopefully we've supplied enough info that some experts will chime in with our answers. I won't go so far as to say my eyes are better since I'm sure there are folks watching it on 65" HDTV's in this forum.

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Well, I know I have pointed out certain scenes and certain parts of the scene. But, I now believe that it is actually the entire picture. It is just that it is only really noticable with certain colors/brightness in the background.

There was a post several before this that eluded to how he knew that people were going to start bashing the pic quality of the film. I just want to point out that I am not doing this just to be rebelious or a pseudovideophile. Ever since that Hollywood thread was posted saying how unbelievable this transfer is, I have looked forward to the disc. My main issue is that many people have said they don't see it. So I am trying to figure out the problem with my equipment (if there is a problem) It's not like I got on my hands and knees and sat right in front of the TV and stared at it until I saw something wrong. No. This problem is glaring. It struck me on the first watching sitting in my normal position. It is a very obvious issue.

6. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

My TV is ISF calibrated and I see the "chroma bug" problem. To my eyes, it looks like compression artifacts. The best example is the red walls in Palpitines office. Just looks like compression. No more, no less.

Chris

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

and solid red is one of the hardest things for DVD and Mpeg2 to pull off

8. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

Allan N-

Umm... I actually work in feature film sound, but I have a total mutt system at home. Sony STR-DA50ES receiver, 15-year old big honkin' Fisher (yeah, you heard me) 3-way main speakers that came with a rack system I bought in high school, which have stood the test of time (and repeated cross-country travel) far longer than I'd ever hoped, an Infinity Video 1 center, and JBL bookshelf surrounds (free from Best Buy with the purchase of my previous receiver). I'm sure you're saying, well DUH, you're having problems, but this is truly the first DVD where I've had this sort of issue. Thus far, my system has handled everything I've thrown at it just dandy. I don't fault the disc or the mix - I just wonder if this is perhaps a particularly aggressive home theater mix, with regard to the use of low frequency FX in the dedicated LFE channel AND the mains combined. It's the first DVD to finally "break" my system, and I was curious to hear if it's happened to anyone else.

Plus the Pug Test. Our dog ordinarily fears nothing, and she was truly terrified from the moment the movie started until it ended. Even many of the non-action scenes seemed to be loaded with subliminal big-future-space-city-whatever-rumbling ambience. Even though the dialogue was a little low for my taste, we (and our first-floor neighbors...) heard the low freqs loud and clear. (And marginal speaker quality aside, I know my system is calibrated correctly.)

I agree that your recommendation to buy a new sub (hell, new speakers all around!) is the most technically correct one, but for my apartment situation, that would only increase the neighbor problem. I'm thinking with new higher-power-rated mains spiked off the floor, I'd solve my distortion problem without worsening the low frequency / neighbor issue. Idunno.

9. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

This was from my original post. I rewound this part 10 times last night and it still seems like there is a skip from Obi Wan's face to the second charge explosion. It's distracting. I don't know if the silent moment before it just makes it feel weird, or what. Anyone else?

Ralph

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

11. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Grant H
    Sounding more and more like we may be seeing limitations of the DVD/MPEG2 compression format as Sean suggested. I'm no expert, but that sounds very feasible, especially with Felix chiming in about the digital equipment used to shoot the film.
    AOTC uses some intense and spectacular colors and possibly the excellent digital clarity and digital photography is allowing us to see compression artifacts normally masked or lost in celluloid grain. Maybe we'll know for sure someday whenever we get our HD-DVD. Or if Lucas turns to the dark side and puts it on D-VHS.

Regarding the soundmix, I'd say parts are pretty aggressive, (Yes, the senator's ship in the beginning, and Anakin's lightsaber in her bedroom make particularly booming LFE sounds.) I'm fortunate my equipment handles it okay, and I haven't had any problems with the dialogue level so long as I don't mind the loud parts being loud like they're supposed to be. It's a very dynamix mix which is great for those of us who love home theatre, maybe not so good for those of us with neighbors. Lucas said when the Special Editions came out that Star Wars was always supposed to be big and loud, and that's what AOTC is for certain.
    Let's put it this way: If I was still back in college in the dorms, I'd have had to send my subwoofer home again. Fortunately in my apartment building I have either very tolerant neighbors, well insulated floors and ceilings, or a combination of both.
    One thing you might want to try which may have helped prevent upsetting my downstairs neighbors: I put a few inches of rubber underneath my subwoofer to try to minimize floor vibrations. I simply used 2 or 3 heavy duty rear car mats, the kind with the big ridges that will hold a lot of water or slush.

12. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Grant H

I have never noticed any problems with this sequence. I have only watched my DVD twice, but didn't see any glitches or noticed any editing mistakes in the film. The film has its fair share of editing mistakes, however, so if there is something wrong it wouldn't surprise me much. Or, you could have a defective disc.
    As for asteroids exploding before you see the shockwave hit, that seems okay to me since you wouldn't see the concussive force of a shockwave, unless you mean before the charge starts to go off at all. I'll have to check it out. As far as that goes, there have been theories presented already that explain why sometimes in Star Wars we see things damaged by blaster fire before we "see" the laser bolt hit the target.

13. Felix Martinez

14. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

15. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

Jimmy,

If you can select an individual title on your player, I believe the bloopers are Title 3.

16. Felix Martinez

17. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for the help. I played around with it last night and finally figured out what to do. Tonight I will try to access it directly as you guys have suggested.

At first I would go to the THX logo and press 1138. This did not work. I noticed that with each button press the highlight would change to another selection. What I didn't realize was that the THX logo had to be highlighted with EACH button press. Also, I discovered that I had to first press "+10".

So the sequence goes something like this;

highlight "THX" logo
    press "+10"
    highlight "THX"
    press "1"
    highlight "THX"
    press "3"
    highlight "THX"
    press "8"

For some reason, sometimes I only had to press "1" one time, and other times I had to do that step twice.

BTW, this worked on my Tosh SD6200 and my Pioneer DV414.

Anyone know if there is also something like this on Star Wars I, TPM?

Thanks again.

JimmyK

18. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one that has a problem with the "Puppets to Pixels" documentary? My Samsung M301 didn't exactly like it. About half way through, it started pausing and my receiver would lose the information for a second and it just kept repeating this annoying pattern over and over. It's never happened on any other DVDs I own, nor did it happen on any other features on the disc. To top it off, I tested the documentary on my computer and it was fine. Any one have an idea what this could be?

19. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Have experienced a subtitle problem on my Toshiba 2109. But that seems to have stopped. Also I experienced a complete pause the first time I watched the movie. Just went back a couple of seconds and played again and it worked fine. I tried playing it again and the pause is completely gone.

Just tried playing the DVD again and the picture broke up into blocks (much like when you have a scratched disc) and then went back to normal. I have a feeling now the disc is defective.

20. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

I am having problems with the upper right corner of the picture. It looks like everything that is supposed to be straight is sloping and crooked. It is noticeable troughout that entire movie. Every building, tower and things like that look very sloping. Things that definitely should be straight. Pretty much anything that appears in the upper right corner is getting distorted that way.

I don't think it is a transfer flaw. I guess it could be my settings but i've checked them several times without finding any solution to the problem. Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Velo