What's new

MERGED: Lion King DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
What is Morning Report? Was this a song written by Tim Rice and Elton John that never made the original film (ala Human Again), or is this an entirely new song written for the DVD release? Is it even written by Tim and Elton?

From The Digital Bits link above (Thanks TonyD):
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
More good news on The Lion King front... Disney's included a trailer for the upcoming special edition on their new 101 Dalmatians II DVD. The trailer lists an October 2003 release date, and indicates that the film will include a new musical number, called Morning Report. You can be sure an official announcement is on the way in the near future.

From the DVDToons link above (Thanks James):
http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/333
Disney has included a Lion King DVD teaser in the upcoming release of 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure, which confirms an October 2003 release. The movie/dvd will include a new song, "Morning Report," and "new animation".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Disney is getting ready to promote this heavily. Here is one of roughly a half-dozen images they just made available with the "first time ever on DVD" wording and the title burst, plus many others (couple dozen or so) that are simple screen shots from the film:

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Tezuka always came right out and said he was inspired by Disney, and only the baseline elements (parent dying) is from Bambi
Then it also means he hasn't taken it from Disney — Bambi is based on a book by Felix Salten written some 20 years before the movie.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just as long as this DVD is mastered (compressed) properly I'll be fine. I don't want the nasty MPEG artifacting I see on Beauty and the Beast!

Just shows you how far we've come. When all we had was laserdisc...the THX Lion King LD was the reference we all used to show off our video systems (and sound systems!) At the steophile convention in NY '96 it was the LD showing on all the CRT projectors in all the rooms.

Well, the PCM audio is still reference to be sure! But the video is plaugued with noise (the blue skies!) and looks aweful to my eyes now that I'm used to the clean and pristine images we see on well mastered 16x9 480P dvds :)

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
did disney pull another one of their crappy different animation covers?? do i even need to remind you guys about the horrendous vhs cover?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
great news indeed. Looks like Lion King will have a jumpstart before Indy is released. So many dvds are coming out it is not funny anymore

:D

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Was there ever a DTS LD of the Lion King released?

If so, do you think that the DVD will include DTS, although no platinum titles have yet done so?

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
However, changing the dust in the sky was unnecessary, as was the Mufasa in the clouds scene. And the studio logo.
I don't remember the Mufasa in the Clouds being any different. But one other change I noticed, was in the scene when Mufasa saves Simba and Nala from the hyenas, the camera pans up as they are walking away to reveal Scar watching. In the IMAX version Scar turns to watch them walk off, where in the original Scar isn't animated.

I wonder what version(s) is going to be on the DVD.

Mike Hoak

Auditioning
The Costco website is taking pre-orders for the Lion King. The site lists the following DVD features:

DVD Features:

Languages: English
Subtitles: None
Screen Format: Widescreen (1.85:1)
Sound: DTS 5.1 Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Additional Features: Disc One

Closed-captioned
THX-certified

Two versions of the film: The Special Edition that includes the all-new song The Morning Report and the original theatrical release
The making of The Morning Report
The Lion King Personality Profile game

Rafiki's Three Gourd Monty game

All-new music video

Sing along track

Timon's Grab-A-Grub game

Pumbaa's Sound Sensations game

Deleted scenes: Bug Football, Hakuna Matata and Warthog Rhapsody

Additional Features: Disc Two

Virtual Safari with tour guides Timon and Pumbaa
Disney Animals - learn how real animals inspired these animated Lion King characters hosted by Roy Disney
Storymaking Magic - the fascinating origin and influences behind the story of The Lion King
Behind the scenes of the award-winning Broadway hit musical

Exclusive interview with writer/artist/director Julie Taymor

Explore masks, costumes, people and puppets

Behind-the-scenes footage

Character design

Computer design

African art inspiration

Exclusive interviews with Sir Elton John and Tim Rice

Lion King music videos

African influence

Much, much more!

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I hope this is accurate. If so, all I can say is thank goodness the theatrical version is included. I would hate it if Disney went all "George Lucas" on us.
AWESOME! Can not wait for this release. I onl wish they would release these Platinum Titles sooner. I want Bambi, Aladdin and Cinderella to be released in some form. I really don't like waiting years for them. Ahh Well. I am just happy they are releasing them at all and am thrilled with the treatment they should receive. :D

Zack

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The list is missing the LD commentary that the producer said would be ported over in this interview.

And also, what does Julie Taymor have to do with the Lion King?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Julie Taymor directed the stage version, but I didnt know she was involved with the animated one at all

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah i don't believe she was involved with the movie either. It's probably a featurette on the stage show where she is commenting.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Great features indeed yet why would they not include the LD commentary ? or is this just a pre order list with features to be added later then

:D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, I'm sure it will have commentary, and I'm sure it won't be a port. It will be like BatB - newly recorded and only on the longer cut with the new song I would imagine.

It's quite clear a lot of the supplements are missing from that list - where's the traditional 'Publicity' section for example.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I've already pre-ordered mine at Amazon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks