merge 2 channel and ht how???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanielM, Dec 23, 2003.

1. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

Jul 5, 2002
    ok I would like to take my existing 2 channel system consisting of tube pre,tube monoblocks,turntable and integrate it into a home theatre system something like this
    phono,analog cd,analog ld>tube monos
    then have all the ht stuff hooked into ??
    all is then fed to the same speakers
    I dont wish to have my analog front end messed with but the 2 systems have to converge somewhere
    component vid switching is also needed
    is this possible if so with what and how
  2. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Jan 3, 2002

It's a snap.

I also have a tube stereo preamp and tube monoblocks driving my main speakers. All stereo sources connect directly into this stereo preamp.

But I also integrate a full-blown HT in with this system. To do so, you need a HT amp (or receiver) that has "Main Pre-Outs". It's pretty easy to find nowadays. You simply plug an interconnect from this "Main Pre-Out" to an input source on your stereo preamp (such as "AUX"). When you select "AUX" as your source, you will send sounds from your HT amp/receiver through your 2-channel gear and on to your main speakers.

No need to switch out cables. And best of all, your 2-channel enjoyment bypasses the evil HT amp/receiver. An added benefit is that your HT amp/receiver is no longer burdened with trying to drive your main speakers. It only has to drive your surrounds/center, which isn't overly taxing. So, there's really no reason to throw heavy money at this piece of equipment.

I hope I did a decent job of explaining this. It's getting late, and I'm about to leave work.

Good luck,
  3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Apr 12, 1999
    If you click on my equipment list below, you will see the connections I used to integrate an HT system into my 2-channel pre-amp, they are just like what Kevin described.
  4. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jun 30, 1997
    I just bought an integrated tube amp, the Cayin TA-30 to use for music playback in my Home Theater.

I bought a Niles DSP-1.

This will allow you to hook up two differnt amps to the same set of speakers.

When I listen to CD's, I select the 'A' switch and when I watch a movie I select the 'B' switch.

Works like a charm.

Jeff Aguilar