What's new

Mercury Living Presence SACDs Scheduled for October 12th (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Here is an updated announcement from Universal.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=10934318

I'm also looking forward to the Allman Brothers a week from Tuesday. :emoji_thumbsup:

By the way, The Absolute Sound is working on a story on how these discs are being mastered. The will have all three channels (L-C-R) as originally recorded by Wilma Cozart Fine. Her technqiue has been used by many (including a variation by Chesky's recording team) to capture orchestral and acoustic works in a very natural fashion. I would expect the rear channels to include room tone or something mild based on what I am hearing.

If you have any interest in classical music, I would highly recommend these for both sonics and performance.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Lee, this story has been posted several times. I'll believe the MLP Sack-Dees when I see them. They have been put off for about a year thus far.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Right, Phil. HFR uses the European date shorthand = DD/MM/YY. So, the item was posted on July 1.

Anybody familiar w/ the Prokofiev/Rachmaninov Piano Concerti recording? I've become a big fan of Russian composers, but I haven't heard this one.

I'm also leaning toward the Schubert Lieders disc. I remember singing (and I'm using that term lightly) some Schubert songs in voice class in college and thought they were quite lovely.

Regards,
Doug

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I've heard it and it is pretty good.

I would not worry about the release coming out. I have a friend who is a very famous audio writer and he is actually been following the MLP story very close (in fact knows Wilma Cozart Fine very well) and they are definitely going to be out in the fall. :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Janis's Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.3 is among the very best recordings of the concerto. The trick to playing such hard keyboard music successfully is to make it sound easy to play -- Janis's hands effortlessly glide across the keys.

Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No.3 is another one of the very best works of the keyboard concerto genre. Pletnev's recording is quite good, but you can do better. I think that only Gary Graffman's recording with Szell/Cleveland best captures Prokofiev's (and Stravinsky's) concept of neo-classicism.

As I've said in other threads, October looks to be the German/Europe release date for the MLP discs, so if you're waiting for them to be released in the US, you might be waiting until the winter.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the recommendations, Lee and Seth. I'll look forward to that disk. And:

Although I played a Prokofiev sonata in college, I doubt if I can do better! :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know you meant: I can do better w/ the Graffman disk.

Cheers,
Doug

Seth--L

Screenwriter

My one contention with the redbook, which may have to do with how it was downmixed from 3-channel, is that the piano is too forward (though superbly recorded) and dwarfs the orchestra. The piano sounds wonderfully vivid, but the orchestra sound is somewhat muted and flat. I'm hoping that being able to playback the recording as it was meant to be heard in 3-channel sound will correct this. Janis is so much the star of the recording that this problem really doesn't detract.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Lee,

The orchestra also lacks depth -- they're going to have to do more than just raise the levels.

Do you know who is doing the remix, and if that was the reason why this release was delayed over and over again?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have been told by reliable sources that Wilma Cozart Fine is involved but I do not know the exact mastering team.

Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound has been an authority on this label for some time. Perhaps we will see a story from him at some point...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I can't seem to find any of these Mercury Livine Presence SACDs on Amazon.com (maybe I'm not looking in the right place).

Can someone provide me with a link to the Janos Starker SACD?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How odd. US Amazon has them, but I can't find them using their search engine. I can only find them on US Amazon by linking them through the www.sa-cd.net site. :confused: Amazon wants [rant]list price[/rant], Arkivmusic is cheaper, and CDnow is cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks