What's new

Mercury Living Presence Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just picked up my first one today from Borders - The Stravinsky Firebird with Antal Dorati. Just listened to some of it in my car on Red Book and its very dynamic. I will report back when I listen on my home system in SACD.

I was right in guessing they would do 3 channel SACD. They have preserved the original three tapes just as captured so those of us with surround are in for a treat.

Has anyone else bought any of this classic series?

What do you think?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well so far the only MLP Sack-Dee that has shown up from online Tower is the two disc set of Janos Starker playing the Bach Suites. Obviously the three-channel recording is wasted here. But the timbre of the 'cello is more accurate than in the previous listenings. It sounds like a 'cello is in the room.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I intended it to be obvious: a solo 'cello recorded in three discreet channels is a waste of channels. The recording is in three-channel MC format.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I'm still sitting here with only the Starker Bach Sack-Dee from the MLP series. It looks like they really didn't put much effort into delivering the goods. My Janis Rachmaninov Sack-Dee is still listed as back order at Tower....

And judging by the number of posts in this thread, nobody else is getting delivery of the MLP disks either.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Eh, more of an issue is the high price. Probably not nearly as many people picked up these discs as the RCA SACDs.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
MDT is having a slight sale on these discs: with shipping each disc is $13.74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks