Mercenaries

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, Jan 11, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

2. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

Try boiling the cd in water for about a minute. its crazy, but its worked for me on those demos before.

The demo is awesome, i still have reservations about buying it so i think i wanna rent it first (also still playing kotor2)

3. David Galindo

Hah, Ive gotta try this boiling thing when I get home today. Anything crazy like that HAS to work [​IMG]

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

My big reservation is the Teen rating (along with Lucas Arts name).

I couldn't get into Star Wars Battlefront because I felt I was in some huge paint ball game.

You can't have it both ways. If you want a game that depicts brutal acts of war and terrorism, don't sugar coat it with guys grabbing their sides feigning death like some backyard cowboys and indians game.

It is getting great reviews so I'll need to rent it at least.

5. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

Just got it and have been playing it for awhile tonight. Think GTA meets Battlefield and you get the idea. It is a fun game but I am glad I rented it because the bouncing between missions is getting a tad tiring. I have only played as one character so far but so far I have called in a surgical strike on enemy HQ while sitting on a hill and there is a shop called Merchant of Menice that will transport a vehicle to you if you pay for it. I recommend it as a rental at the very least.

Kevin

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Amazingly this is the real deal. I've had to do it probably four times and it works flawlessly.

Played the Merc demo and it's pretty cool.

7. David Galindo

Well, I boiled the demo CD, put it in and...it works! Whoa!

Great demo, will definitely rent. Thanks!

8. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

and i got another demo yesterday (with mechassault2) and had to do it again.. my wife looks at me like i am crazy when i do it but i have to say HA! when i put it in and it actually works

9. Korey McAlpin

I own the game, and I can say its definitely addicting. I've only gotten to use one guy so far, and im going around collecting bounties and blowing up everything in my way. Some of the comments they say in the game are kind of funny. All in all though I think its a pretty good game.

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

More reviews and opinions? I bought it but have not opened it yet. I still need to beat Halo 2 and KOTOR 2. Do you think I should wait till it drops in price or is it worth starting another game now?

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Anyone?????

12. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

This game is awesome.. i bought it a few days after checking out the demo and i do not regret it one bit. Try and hit one of the video game websites for movies of it to get a better idea on what the game is about. The missions can be addressed many different ways. This is the kinda game that will be so easy to come back to 6 months down the road just to free roam and raise hell or do missions. I dont see how i could get bored of this game because of the freedom you are given to do whatever you want. (order an airstrike, or drop a fuel air bomb...) I used a troop transport helicopter to pick up ANOTHER helicopter and fling it into a mountain!!! or drop crates on a jeep!! The thing that makes this game great is if you think you can do it... (strategy wise) you probably can.

13. Martin Wulf

Martin Wulf Auditioning

I had my eye on Mercenaries for awhile before it came out. I bought it the day it was released and I must say I’ve been very impressed and pleased so far. I am not all that far with the game yet, I am beginning to start working my way though the face cards in the first suit – I am enjoying it too much to want to rush though it.

This game is very open ended and allows for a lot of freedom of action. A lot of games hype this type of game play; Mercenaries actually delivers. You literally can blow up anything and drive or fly anything you can get your hands on. And the controls work pretty well regardless if you are on foot or in a vehicle. There is a lot of fun to be found in this game, however in some ways, the enjoyment you get out of this game will be dependent on what you bring to the game…namely in the form of your own imagination. This game hands you the environment, a verity of things to do (deck of 52 captures, missions, challenges, finding bonuses, free-roaming mayhem) and all the tools/weapons you need; what you do and how you do it is pretty much up to you.

I’ve found the game play pretty well-balanced so far. Things were a little on the easy side for the first few hours; it took me several missions before I actually found myself getting killed, but think this is a good thing as you are learning the game/controls. Things are starting to get much tougher. What the enemy lacks in AI (although its far from horrible), it more than makes up with steer numbers and firepower. However, even when I have had to replay a mission a few times, I have yet to encounter the “frustration factor” I have found in other games, like GTA and Splinter Cell.

Overall this game looks great, plays well, and is just a whole lot of fun. This game is like GTA meets SOCOM with a health dose of a Rambo movie thrown in.