What's new

Mercedes-Benz S600 vs. BMW 760Li (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Disregarding price, which car do you think is better and why?
By the way, I am refering to the NEW Mercedes-Benz S600 that has the new Mercedes-Benz V12 bi-turbo 500hp engine that accelerates the car from 0 to 100km/h in 4.8 seconds. I must say, that is VERY fast for such a big car!

AjayM

Screenwriter
Depends on what I'm looking for. Benz has had the slight edge on luxury for the past few years, so if I'm looking for the most luxury for my buck, the Benz it is. Nothing like having a remote control internal rear view mirror, or power rear seats, or having the seat belt handed to you, etc.

The new 7 series though is interesting, the style has grown on me now that I've seen a bunch of them. And BMW has always tried to keep the sportiness level higher than a similiar Benz, about the only thing that keeps me from really liking the new 7 series is that dumb-ass control center thing, whoever thought of it should be brought out and shot. Don't get me wrong, I like high-tech stuff, but it's just a pain to use, very difficult to navigate around in, etc.

If I need big luxury I'll stick with the ol' Bentley, it's a power-house, isn't as refined as the above two cars, but it drips class and will get the valet's attention a little quicker (granted it also costs and probably breaks down twice as much as the above cars, but still).

Andrew

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'd go for the S600 over the BMW or the Phantom.
My uncle has an MB S-class, hopefully next time I visit him he'll let me take it out for a spin :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
I really like the new 7 Series. I've seen a few with black rims and tint and wow, it looked so sexy all blacked out!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'd take the S600 in a second. The 760Li is UGLY and has the gimmicky iDrive. It's quite sad to see BMW abandon its roots. Of course I'd take the Phantom over both, despite its massive C-pillar.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sweet Lord! I think we have a winner for the Ugliest Car of 2003. The winner: Rolls Royce Phantom.

Adam

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Another question for you guys. :D
Disregarding price, would you get the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG or BMW M5 and why?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well I drove an S600, a few years ago and it is a beast. The car has neck snapping acceleration and serious creature comforts. Not to mention that it really feels like driving a land yacht ... very comfortable. I am 6'6" and it felt liek I was in my living room. So much space inside.

That being said, one of my clients just bought a new 7 Series BMW and that car is sweet as well. Did not drive it but was in it when he was driving and the car is pitch quiet and feels super fast and tight. The interior does feel cheap though for this price range. Lots of palstic materials as opposed to the classiness of the S. the car has real good space for the rear passangers but I did not find the front to be very roomy. The car has toys galore though, so if you are a gadget freak ... you will be in heaven.

Personally I have always looked at the 2 Krauts this way. IF you want pure class, you get the Benz. If you want something fast, sporty with some class you get the BMW.

In my book, I am a BMW guy myself. Looking at a possible 330i lease in a few months.

But they are both amazing cars.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
M5, no question.

Even the new, more powerful E55 trails the M5 in most magazine tests. Disregarding the magazines' opinions, I'd always take the BMW because it's lighter and better handling. Plus it comes with a 6 speed manual.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I stayed out of the S600 vs. 760Li question, but now that you've expanded it to E55 vs. M5, I'll jump in:

M5 all the way. If only they could find a way to put rack and pinion steering in it...

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
BMW has always been a performance oriented driver's car. The M5 is the ultimate 4-door performance sedan; it has been for quite some time.

However, the S600 vs. 760iL is a different argument altogether. Although both machines have great performance, these cars are high-end luxery vehicles with over-the-top safety options like armor plating in the body panels and bullet-proof glass. In this category, the S600 wins, simply because Mercedes KNOWS luxery to the smallest details; things like distance-adaptive cruise control, solar-powered cooling (when your car is parked on a hot day), photosensitive car-length moonroofs, etc.

For luxery, always pick the Benz. Performance...BMW. Price/performance luxery...Lexus or Infiniti. Luxery w/o limits...Maybach.

The new Rolls cars are definitely vintage in styling, but after looking at the new Bentleys and Maybachs, the ultra-luxery market is moving away from the vintage trend.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'd take the M5 all day long. nothing against the benz, it certainly is a sweet car, but there is nothing like driving an M5. there is power everywhere, at any rpm, any speed. no turbo lag, because....bmw doesnt use turbo. i thought the M3 was fast, then i drove the M Coupe. THEN, i drove the M5. pure driving joy.

CJ

AjayM

Screenwriter
I'd have to go with the E55, that's a long range comfort speed machine, if I want a real sports car I'd have to get one of those as well because as sporty and as good as the M5 is, it's still not a sports car. And face it, if you're dropping $70k+ on it you can probably afford to at least put a Z06 next to it.

Andrew

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'd take the M5 in a second. Too bad the 5-Series is going to get the Bangle treatment (i.e. getting hit by the ugly stick) in a year. :frowning: Personally I don't like the looks of either the new or old E-Class.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Does anyone have a picture of the new BMW 5 Series?
Secondly, I have just one more question. :D
Disregarding price (again ;)), would you get the Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG or the BMW M3 and why?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG or the BMW M3 and why
I think this one is a real obvious one ... I don't think anyone would choose a C32AMG over an M3

BTW: You are not telling us what your opinions are about these vehicles. Are you looking to buy one of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks