Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG vs. BMW M5

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Haris Ellahi, May 16, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Disregarding price, which car do you think is better?

By the way, the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG has amazing acceleration. 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds!

[​IMG]

2. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

First off, for me, the Mercedes is an instant loser since you can't get it in stick...

Also, I doubt the Mercedes handles as well as the BMW -- BMW's -- essentially the entire line, have an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I got a magazine in the mail the other day and although I haven't read through the full article yet, I did see the rating and the E55 was 1st, Audi RS8(?) 2nd, M5 3rd and Jag S-Type R 4th. It should be on the newstands now if you're interested in finding and reading the article.

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

It all comes down to what is more important to you.

The M5 is a driver's car, the E55 is ...not. E55 is more of a powerful cruiser, not a car you'd take to the track. I'd get the M5 any day (almost did buy a used one once, but still a bit out of my range [​IMG] )

5. Bill Wise

Bill Wise Agent

Haris,

Personal preference... until this model year I'd have taken the M5 hands down. However, the new E55 sports a 476hp (are you kidding me?) supercharged V-8 with neck breaking torque and a new six-speed (still automatic, though) gearbox.

If you're into high speed cruising (the reviews I've seen say the Merc is still accelerating when it hits the speed limiter at 155 mph), the Benz is your boy. If, however, you are a purist or a true "driving enthusiast", I'm afraid you'd still have to give the M5 serious consideration.

I'd suggest you buy one of each and give me the one you decide not to keep. [​IMG]

Regards,

Bill

6. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

The Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG does not have a six-speed gearbox, it has a five-speed one.

7. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

By the way, the new BMW M5 is said to have 500hp.

8. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

By the way, the car is actually my father's. Since he has been driving automatics for the past 12 years, I don't think he wants to go back to manual. So I guess the BMW M5 is out.

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

M5 by virtue of manual gearbox alone, but also for other reasons.

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The concept of a 476hp "cruiser" is lost on me.

HP sells, though, so giddyup!

11. andrew markworthy

The Merc wins hands-down in my book, because someone over 6ft tall can drive one. I'm 6' 9" and there isn't a single BMW I can fit into.

A side-question - do BMW drivers have the same awful reputation they have in the UK? This is largely because it seems to be the car of choice for every arrogant rich prick (one theory is that it's the only car name they can spell). Just speaking from personal experience, in the last week alone a BMW driver parked blocking the communal driveway to our and two other houses, and I saw a BMW overtake a queue of cars that had pulled over to let an ambulance through (and no, the BMW driver wasn't following the ambulance - he cut that up too). Of course there are bad drivers in other cars but BMWs seem to be the commonest culprits. And of course then every Beamer driver gets tarred with the same brush. A colleague changed from driving a BMW to driving a Merc because he was fed up of people not letting him out at road junctions.

12. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I love the M5 but the Mercedes is a little more rare. So I would go for the Benz since not many are out there. Performance is probably close not enough to matter. I also prefer a manual but I could live with a almost 500hp auto.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Theres talk on the bimmer.org forums that the M3 SMG (something similar anyway) is going to the new M5. But if they don't offer a true manual, they're gonna piss off a bunch of the purists out there...

Jay

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What is the difference between the SL55 AMG and the E55 AMG if any? I know for sure that I would not mind a free SL55. Very very nice car.

16. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

M5 having a stick would appeal to me, but if I was going to get a car in this class I'd get the Audi RS6 hands down (it beat out the other 2 in a recent Car and Driver, the article is on their website)

Brian

17. Bill Wise

Bill Wise Agent

Neil,

The SL55 AMG is based on the Benz SL500, a two door convertible coupe as opposed to the four door sedan E-class that the E55 is based on.

Bill

18. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

the SL55 has a base price tag of 120k.....

19. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Someone where I work has a brand new SL55 AMG. That car is sculpture on wheels. Our CEO drives an M5 and the SL55 simply blows it away in terms of stunning appearance. despite being slushbox only I would absolutely take that SL55 over the M5 any day of the week.

20. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I think it's very likely that the new BMW M5 based on the new 5-Series model will have the majority of its production with SMG, at least for the US market.

The reason is simple: the average American driver likes automatic transmissions. With SMG, you can have both manual gear selection and automatic gear selection, since the "manual" transmission uses an automatic clutch system.

This is why I think we may see an optional automatic clutch paddle shifter for the next-generation Mazda Miata (or MX-5 as it's known in some markets). That way, you get the advantage of manual gear control but have to option of automatic gear shifting for commuting work.