Menu, chapter and title difficulties.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kai Zas, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I was wondering why some dvd's block access to menus, other to titles and some even to soundtracks during playback.

I'm an avid HTPC user and I notice these differences a lot. Some examples:

With Buffy, I can completely skip the menu and surf from episode to episode using the player (by simply right-clicking on the screen and using the "go to" feature). With TNG, this is not possible. Somehow the titles are grayed-out and I can't just start the next one, I have to go through the menu.

Most movies let me change audio-tracks on-the-fly during the presentation, again by using the players "audio" menu. Other movies, like The Abyss for example, make me stop the movie and go to the Audio-menu (the animated dvd menu). Quite the hassle. I sometimes ahem... "rewind" the dvd a bit and turn on the commentary for some extra info on one particular scene.

Then there's the skipping of FBI-warnings, trailers and studio-intro's. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Ok, I can see why this is, but not so with the other two examples.

Any thoughts? How does this translate to set-top players? Do those people ALWAYS have to use the (at times buggery) animated menus?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's all up to the studio and the person doing the DVD authoring which parts they lock. Sometimes they lock things for no good reason (like Universal/Disney with audio tracks) other times it's just an oversight