What's new

Pre-Order Men In Black Trilogy (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I envy you guys.

So far, I am sitting 4k out. I shouldn't be since I am part owner of a forum that promotes the format.

However, for someone that is into front projection and demands real 4k output, getting into the format will not be cheap for me.

In a way, the expense is a good thing. I am not starting to get into yet another format and repurchase all my titles.

In the same light, I am probably missing out on incredible projection quality material.

By the time I get into 4k, 8k will be on the horizon. So, yet another reason for me to just sit here and wait.

Enjoy, guys. I know how much you are loving this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
$75? Really? The Blu-ray counterpart of this is available on Amazon right now for $10.

I'm not 4K equipped, so this is a pass for me...but I would hope they also make at least the first film available individually. It is the only one that I think is good, and (although the third is better than the second), I prefer to pretend the sequels never happened.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
$75? Really? The Blu-ray counterpart of this is available on Amazon right now for $10.

I'm not 4K equipped, so this is a pass for me...but I would hope they also make at least the first film available individually. It is the only one that I think is good, and (although the third is better than the second), I prefer to pretend the sequels never happened.
Do you really think it's gonna stay at that retail price? It will be $39.99 on release date of course. The price is always announced as MSRP before the discounts kick in.

And I'm in.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I too think the sequels are a complete waste and the original is light years better than the other 2 money grabs. Shame they won't let folks buy just the first one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The price is always announced as MSRP before the discounts kick in.

I know that. It just seems like $75 is a high MSRP for a catalog title (even a trilogy set) that is regularly a bargain bin item on the previous format.

This reminds me I really should pick up the first film standalone BD,...

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I too think the sequels are a complete waste and the original is light years better than the other 2 money grabs. Shame they won't let folks buy just the first one.

I am one of those who has no need for the sequels. I will wait until a separate release of just the first film is available -- you know it will be eventually. Until then, I can easily make do with my existing BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not a fan of the sequels either. I've been on a 4K/UHD buying binge for the last several months. Yet, I won't buy this trilogy unless it's discounted heavily as I rather just wait on the first one to be released on 4K/UHD disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't care for the second film, but Josh Brolin, Jemaine Clement, and Michael Stuhlbarg elevate Men in Black 3 almost to the level of the original IMO. Boris the Animal is just a fun character and Clement's performance is right up there with Vincent D'Onofrio's bug. I'll be picking this up when it drops to a reasonable price.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Josh Brolin, Jemaine Clement, and Michael Stuhlbarg elevate Men in Black 3 almost to the level of the original IMO.

Spoiler alert for a 20-year-old film here?...I'm going to assume everybody viewing this thread has seen it.

Josh Brolin was great as the younger K, but I take issue with the severe retconning of the original in MIB3, and also, nothing in either sequel is good enough to justify having to change the terrific ending of the first film in order to rob K of his happy retirement and the implication that J and L are working happily together as partners.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't care for the second film, but Josh Brolin, Jemaine Clement, and Michael Stuhlbarg elevate Men in Black 3 almost to the level of the original IMO. Boris the Animal is just a fun character and Clement's performance is right up there with Vincent D'Onofrio's bug. I'll be picking this up when it drops to a reasonable price.

I really like "3". "2" is pretty bad, but "3" was a lot of fun, IMO...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

So far, I am sitting 4k out. I shouldn't be since I am part owner of a forum that promotes the format.

However, for someone that is into front projection and demands real 4k output, getting into the format will not be cheap for me.

In a way, the expense is a good thing. I am not starting to get into yet another format and repurchase all my titles.

In the same light, I am probably missing out on incredible projection quality material.

By the time I get into 4k, 8k will be on the horizon. So, yet another reason for me to just sit here and wait.

Ron,

I feel your pain.

I’ve been slowly upgrading my equipment to get to UHD. Earlier this year I purchased a UHD-compatible A/V receiver. I intend to purchase a UHD player (most likely the OPPO) in the Fall. Then I’ll be ready for a UHD projector.

Fortunately, UHD projectors with HDR-10 are now down to around $2000 (granted, they are not native 4K, but the reviewers are saying that they’re close enough to get the job done) and could be even cheaper by the time I pull the trigger. There are still two issues, though: Reasonably priced UHD projectors still can’t handle Dolby Vision (which is expected to rapidly supplant HDR); and only one of the new breed of inexpensive faux 4K projectors, the Epson Home Cinema 4000, is backward compatible with 3D.

The studios and hardware manufacturers aren’t making it as easy as it should be for a home theater enthusiast to upgrade to the superior format.

Oh, and I agree that MIB 3 is a fun film!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joseph,

I am glad to be in your boat.

As I stated, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. It's a crapload of money I am not spending to upgrade.

I won't buy a projector until I can get a non-faux Dolby Vision Projector at a semi-reasonable price. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ron, save a space for me in the "boat" :) I want to go UHD HDR, but I can't due yet due to projection. I don't really care about "4k" per se; I don't really need more pixels. It's the larger color space and the HDR I want! That's what I'll notice.

Another year or two, that's what I tell myself. And I keep putting pennies into the 4k piggy bank! :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I am happy, for us, that the boat is getting larger.

I don't know how optimistic I can be that in two years there will be somewhat affordable projectors with real 4k UHD DV.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While I do remain optimistic that true 4k will be available for under $5000 in two years, I'm more concerned and interested in HDR and the color space. I'll buy a pseudo 4k projector with quality HDR in two years much more readily than true 4k without HDR. I'm at the point of diminishing returns on pixel count between theater setup and my own eyesight. But better contrast and brighter brights would be an obvious improvements for me.

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, creek don't rise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks