Men in Black II dvd review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Nov 23, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

I seem to have got my R1 copy freakishly early (and no, I'm not telling you the supplier in line with the v. sensible editorial policy).

The disc is a decent package. The specs have been widely advertised for some time now. On disc 1 you get the movie, plus commentary and a 'follow the white rabbit' (actually 'follow the MIB logo') feature, that directs you to folks involved in the film making talking about how characters were devised, etc. [Warning - do not use this feature until you've seen the movie, as there are a lot of spoilers].

Picture quality is a good clear print; not demonstration quality but unlikely in the main to cause any anguish. Having said that, I found a bit of edge enhancement in places and at one point (the scene in the lift with the worms towards the end of the movie) there's a bizarre red moire pattern in the ceiling light. However, this could be my set-up. As I have plain old stereo (I prefer it) I can't comment on the qualities of the surround system.

Extras are reasonable quality, but IMHO nothing terrifically exciting. There's the usual 'this is how we make a monster by a mixture of CG and animatronics', how brilliant everyone involved in the movie was to work with, etc. The 'alternate ending' [for those who still have more than two brain cells - they mean 'alternative ending'] is not v. special. Anyone expecting the two towers footage is in for a disappointment:

Will Smith is seen feeling sorry for himself following the departure of the princess. To cheer him up, his fellow agents send him on a vacation, and he ends up in the world of the 'locker people'.

I haven't tried the commentary. To be honest, I'm so *bored* with these (unless they're done by an impartial outsider like a film historian talking about a classic movie) that I no longer bother with them. If it's better than the run of the mill stuff, then please let me know.

The movie itself improved on second viewing. [Apart from anything else, the first time I saw it at a cinema we nearly had our ears blasted out by the (way too loud) system]. If you were indifferent about the movie when you first saw it, then I'd say give it another chance - the second time round you'll probably pick up on a lot of jokes and things going on in the background you missed the first time. If you haven't seen it but liked Men in Black, then unless you're resistant to the idea of sequels then enjoy it. The novelty of the first one isn't there of course, but IMHO there are enough jokes to make it a pleasant viewing.

2. Jedrek

Jedrek Stunt Coordinator

Hope I have enough for this come Tuesday - I've been broke since setting up my HT in my room. [​IMG]

3. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Well my story with this DVD is amazing. Yesterday I got MIB 2, Ice Age and you are not going to believe me, "K-19"! So I started by MIB 2 last night. I had heard horrible things about this movie here. Anyway I start the movie and from start to end it was a blast. I very much enjoyed it. I laughed at every joke and was totally surprised that how I was in sync with the movie! This comes from the person who didn’t like “Die Another Day” and most importantly never liked the original supposedly superior MIB! I just can’t explain it.
    Anyway, on the first disc, at the Trailers section is a little gem. It’s a 3D short around 5 mins. You see Yoda, Vader, Jar Jar, The Alien, E.T. in it! I had a great time! [​IMG]
    **** Spoilers ****
    http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/Temp_MIB.jpg

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am just finishing up here on the forum so that I can finally go and enjoy (watch) this for the first time. I will add my comments in a bit. I am completely open minded going into this, having loved the first film.

5. Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc Agent

With respect to the packaging, does anyone else with the Widescreen version have a Disc 1 that has "full screen" printed on it?

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I enjoyed MIBII or is it MIIB or M2B or..[stop it Steve!]
    But it felt like a quickie cash-in, and it prob was, the guys were just going thru the motions and whatsername was nice to look at but wasn't as enjoyable a villain as D'onofrio in MIB, the effects were great, the ending was crap, that poor girl didn't look at all happy at what suddenly happened, rubbish ending, prob made it up on the day, loved all the alien creatures, and wasn't it a bit too short? 81m without the end credits, expect MIIIB to be 65m, with 20mins of credits, and a remake of a remake.
    ps. Don't forget the animated ChubbChubbs short on disc one, its fantastic! It won a few awards already, I think it won an Oscar too, I would go and see a movie length ChubbChubbs![​IMG]