What's new

Men and women react to humor differently (no way!) (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Andrew Dice Clay

a guy getting kicked in the nuts

ape humor (orangutan giving someone the finger, chimpanzee on roller skates, baboon with brightly colored ass, etc.)

the complete works of Something Weird Video

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Hey, good observation! Well, at least this linguist thinks so too.

Lynda, you probably have more testosterone than the typical female. :D

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Why does a woman looking for an ideal mate in a man almost always list "funny" as a necessary criterion, but a man looking for an ideal mate doesn't especially care if the woman is funny?

Women actively seek humor from men in terms of a dating relationship, yes?

And men also seek humor from other men in terms of a friendly relationship, right?

Are men the almost exclusive source of humor for both men and women?

[I have no idea how this might apply for non-heterosexuals.]

From a man's perspective, is there an indispensable female comedian?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've always had a major thing for Sarah Silverman. She's beautiful and funny. A total turn on. It's very rare to find that in a woman.Again, I think it's more primal than we imagine.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I posted this before, but it's probably due to the fact that men are always competing for women. Back in the prehistoric days, it was strength and virility that men needed to survive and breed.

The same is somewhat similar today, but laughter has become a characteristic that bonds people. Laughing produces chemicals, in the body, that make us feel good. So it's only natural that women seek out men who "make them feel good". Obviously there are other traits that women look for, but laughter seems like such a primal thing that it would make sense that it is assosiated with such a primal act (i.e. getting a mate).

Why don't men seek funny women? Well, we have OTHER chemicals (in our bodies) that seem to overpower our need for laughter ;) :D

p.s. Have you guys ever made a woman (that you thought was attractive) laugh? It's so great that it's almost orgasmic to us. It's quite odd, but it's so true. That's why I feel it's definitely more primal than we think.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

But... didn't you just say that the male sex drive makes humor in a relationship with a woman ultimately irrelevant?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert or scientist, so I may contradict myself a bit... :)

But actually, the whole "make a woman laugh is a turn on" has nothing to do with our enjoyment of humor. We use humor to lure women to us. Making them laugh is our way of impressing them. Kind of like primitive man would use barbaric acts to attract women.

In other words, men aren't looking for humor, we are looking to use humor. While women aren't looking to use it, they are looking for it.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

Got it.

Why are women looking for humor in a man in the first place? Why is that so frequently an important characteristic? Sometimes humor even trumps attractiveness. Hmm.

Oh, and self-contradiction is a sign of depth. A good trait.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Men don't look for a woman who is funny because most men assume they can provide enough comedy for the entire relationship.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure only a woman can answer that. But at the same time, us guys can see the same similarity with our friends. We tend to like our 'funny' friends more so than the unfunny ones.

Since women don't tend to be as funny as men are, it's not something we necessarily look for. I'm sure if women were the jokesters that men are, we'd have that at the top of our list as well.

Or maybe 'being funny' isn't seen as a feminine thing? Making a fool of ones self is usually what guys do best ;) When a woman does it, it's not as attractive to us males.

I mean, I may have an attraction to Sarah Silverman, but I wonder if I was with someone like that, would the 'funnyness' get old? Would it be as much of a turn on if I was actually with her?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

The movie Space Balls comes to mind. It's definitely a guy thing.

And speaking of movies that have limited cross-gender appeal, with the movie critics being so overwhelmingly male, do women have to apply a filter when reading a man-generated movie review in order to determine whether they might like to see the movie?

Example:

"And that helmet was so HUGE! Haha!" -- Skip this movie.

"And the size of the helmet was surely an indication of compensation, just one of the many sub-text threads in this complex parody." -- Check this movie out.

"In this latest film by Mel Brooks..." -- Definitely skip this movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks