Memory upgrade....which is correct?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I have heard so many people say different things about memory upgrades on computers so i was wondering if a techie might be able to set the record straight.

My computer has 64 megs of RAM. There is a great deal on 256 megs at my local best buy. Now.. would getting this speed up how quickly programs run on the computer (which some have told me yes and some no), or simply allow more programs to be run at once? (which some also say is all that will increase). Some also say the memory boost will speed up internet browsing. can someone tell me the scoop?

Don't know all that much about computers so i would really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Andrew,

memory (RAM) is your computer's workspace. The CPU can only deal with things that are in memory. So if you are running multiple programs at once, more memory allows the CPU to operate more efficiently. If the programs you are running require more memory than you have, then the CPU has to spend time swapping between memory and and the hard disk. So having more memory allows you to run more programs at once, and also speeds up the ones running by reducing swapping. Given the price of 256mb of SDRAM, it's not a bad idea to upgrade. Just make sure your system can accept a single DIMM that large (some older ones cannot)

-Matt

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Andrew:

What type of computer do you have? Check to see if it takes DIMM or SDRAM for the RAM first.

Parker

4. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Its a hewlett packard 6736 .......about a year old..

i was thinking about giving it that memory boost not only for routine things like browsing, making lists etc.. but also have it ready if i get into PC gaming and get a decent graphics card.

5. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

According to Crucial it uses SDRAM. I don't know Best Buys price but Crucial has it for your computer at: $40 for a 256MB chip to $14 for a 32MB chip. Both of those include FREE FedEx 2nd Day delivery.
    I am running 512MB (2x256MB) Crucial chips in my computer for nearly a year with no problems. I also have an extra 128mb Crucial chip in my laptop.
    Try this link for chip options on your computer. If it doesn't work go to the Crucial site and put in your computer specs.