Memory upgrade question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I currently have 384MB of RAM, and I'd like to upgrade to my motherboard's full capacity, 512MB. There are three memory slots, one of which is empty, and 128MB and 256MB sticks in the two other slots. Would there be much difference between these two options?

1. Replace the 128MB stick with a 256MB stick
    2. Add a 128MB stick in the third slot

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

simple solution.

don't waste ram that you have already purchased.

simply add the other stick of 128 to get the full 512. there will be no performance increase by getting equal sticks of ram in each slot.

advanced solution.

or see if there is a bios upgrade that will allow your mb to accept more than 512mb of ram. if that is the case then add the two 256 sticks and the 128 stick for a total of 758mb.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yep, I agree, get the 128. It'll be cheaper and there really shouldn't be any difference.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

"and I'd like to upgrade to my motherboard's full capacity, 512MB."

Something tells me that you have a really old computer that your looking to get a little more "oomph" out of. It may cost a bit more, but you'll more that likely be happier by buying a new computer.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I agree with Rob on this, ESPECIALLY if you're running Windows 95 or 98 of ME. Those operating systems did not know how to efficiently manage memory. Adding more memory to a computer running one of those will do very little, if anything, to improve performance.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My Dell Dimension 4100 (purchased in April 2001) is running fine on Windows XP Professional. I originally only had 128MB, I only added 256MB because Madden 2005 requires 256MB of RAM. Is it worth $30 to upgrade from 384MB to 512MB?

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Hmm. I'm getting conflicting information. Crucial says my motherboard only has two slots. From what I remember when I opened up the box to upgrade, there were only two slots. So, maybe I don't have a choice.