memory question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i currently have a 512 stick (pc2100/ddr266) in my pc. i can get a discount on some additional 512 memory, but it's pc2700. the guy told me it's backwards compatible, but i just wanted to be sure.

is he correct?

thx!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I've always been told this is true. I've never tried it, so I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard it/read it so many times that I would be pretty comfortable going for it if it were me.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, dude was pretty techy...so i trusted him. but i thought i'd d-check. thanks! [​IMG]

4. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
  5. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

As others have pointed out, you'll be fine.

I have an old Pentium III which according to specs requires 100MHz memory. When I upgraded its RAM capacity, 100MHz memory was no longer available and I had to use 133MHz memory. As long as the computer had any amount of 100MHz memory installed, it would correctly test all of the RAM before booting from the hard drive.

Later, I decided to discard the original stick of RAM and install a larger one. Naturally, this too was 133MHz memory. Although the computer is no longer able to determine what kind of RAM it has been fed and won't test the sticks before booting, it will just display "100MHz memory assumed" and continue booting. This doesn't seem to affect performance in any way, and the BIOS will still correctly display the sizes of the installed memory modules. And this is a five-year old computer. [​IMG]